Sequential announce Prophet 5 Rev 4 and Prophet 10

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ssm probably from here
http://www.soundsemiconductor.com/

Arashi wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:31 am The Prophet 6 is a different synth IMO, just like the OB6 isn’t an OB8. The P6 was never a replacement for a P5, and I don’t think it was meant to be. The new P5/10 rev 4 is a true successor to the original line.
https://youtu.be/24flDzB9nBI
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:29 am You can't possibly know that from YouTube demos because yo have no idea what post-processing has been applied or what effect compression has had on the audio. And even if it really does sound better than a $50 VSTi, it still can't compete with any $150 VSTi on any level. And realising that RePro 5 is only half of what you get for your $99 means that the new P5 is actually 70 times more expensive. There can be no rational reason for spending 70 times as much on something that is likely to sound 99.9% the same.
Well get saving then Bones. We know you only need three synths sounds to make and album, but you know it'll sound better coming from here! *Law of diminishing returns may apply!

I've gotten some surprisingly amazing sounds out of Repro this year, given how it's a fairly limited synth - but - this reissue really does sound great even from youtube, just on my crappy little PC speakers - would be a really great instrument.

You can let us know how you get on with it! 8)

It's weird because I quite like both the RePros but when I've put them up against other synths in direct comparisons, just dong basic things, they always sound comparatively terrible. Their filters exhibit the same behaviour as a Moog ladder filter to at least the same extent, possibly even worse, and the oscillators require a lot of work to sound as big and fat as a lot of other synths. Like the Odyssey, I think they are a good example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I think Repro isn't a synth I can use to make the sounds I want. I feel like I'm constantly fighting it's limitations, and that it doesn't always work for the parts I want it to work for. I have to agree to filter is a bit plain, solid but plain, and I think this is part of the reason that it works really well for some sounds and not so well for others. Sometimes it just leads in the right direction and I land on something good, or close to what I want, and after persevering I'll end up with a v4 or v5 of a patch that just sounds really great and totally worth the frustration!

I'm sure the Pro5 would be the same thing in not always working for that part I had in mind, but I think having a hands on synth would allow one to get to these good sounds that much more quickly.

In terms of the hardware Prophet 5 the £3399 price leads me to => Prophet 6 £2399... save £1000 and get an extra voice? Personally, for a poly, I actually think I'd rather have a Novation peak at £1099... I'm actually hoping DSI will now come up with a new PolyEvolver!

Hopefully U-he will at some point add some more flexible modulation to Repro, some envelopes with more control over the slopes etc. That would be really nice, and I think the advantages over the P5 would in some ways end that conversation.

Turns out the first batch that went out the door had some extra capacitors that were leading to a muffled top-end. Sequential is going to repair the units at no cost to the owners or allow users to repair it themselves if they're handy with a soldering iron or Surface Mount hot air gun...
Hey all,

First off, thank you all for your patience as we get to the bottom of the issue. After our group audio analysis yesterday, I forwarded the info to Dave. We worked last night and most of today determining the cause of the fault and means to fix it. I've pasted a public note from Dave below.

Prophet 5 / Prophet 10 hardware tweak

"As some users have noticed, there is a drop in high frequencies on the current units in the field. I checked into it yesterday, and I’m highly embarrassed to say that we screwed up. Short story is there are some capacitors that were not meant to be installed, but did in fact get installed, causing the frequency drop.

A fair question would be “how did we not notice this?” This turns out to be due to my ears lacking any high end; too many Yardbirds, Who, Cream etc. concerts in the ‘60s. I picked up serial #1 on October 1st, and it sounded great to me! Since then, we’ve shipped every unit we’ve made because we have a huge backlog. And, with everyone working at home due to the pandemic, no one else played a production unit except me.

Those are just excuses; the real issue is that units in the field need to be corrected. Fortunately, it’s a fairly easy mod if you have access to a soldering iron, or a service center nearby. Two capacitors need to be removed; that’s it.
We will happily swap boards if that is preferred, or swap entire units. We will do whatever is required to make things right.

This affects serial numbers 1 to 195 on Prophet 5s, and 1 to 159 on Prophet 10s.
I owe everyone a deep apology for this; it’s not how we normally work, and I’m really sorry this fell through the cracks. Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Dave Smith"

I would like to also apologize for any inconvenience and frustration this has caused any of you. While yesterday was stressful, hectic, and overwhelming, I'm glad that we could all work together to better qualify the described problem.

Rest assured that we will make sure to make this right at no cost to owners whom purchased any units within the noted serial ranges.
Sucks for people who bought early, but kudos to Sequential for doing the right thing!

I learned quite a few things about Prophet 5 vs 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkF5aI3t7hY

J3PO is good too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnWUHld91Ko

Vortifex wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:30 pm *looks at price tag*

Yeah I'll stick with Repro 5.

Also I can't afford it anyway :hihi:
Technically many of us could afford one, but, in my case I'd have to give up other more critical things it'd be like buying a Ferrari and not have any cash left for gas. Right now I'm saving up for a pair of Genelec 8351B monitors and room treatment and I see much better value in that than this synth. It's a luxury item for those who have spare money and a serious case of G.A.S.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”