Easiest chords and tuning?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I have an electric guitar, and I really suck. Because I can't place my fingers in the chord positions. I'm simply not that flexible, so...

Can someone please point me in the direction of the easiest tunings to play chords with and the guitar tuning?

I have tried Open E, and I really like it!

What else is there that's super easy?

I'm on a 6 string electric, and i have 10-46's. (strings)

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks a bunch!

Anthony
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Here's a link to easiest guitar tunings~

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/easy- ... or-guitar/

Wow, i found it! The Holy Grail! A must if your'e like me!

Thank's hope you like it!
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

I like DADGAD and DADFAD ... used them a lot when re-learning to play after breaking my wrist.

Wouldn't it be better just to have standard tuning and...practice more?

Surely you'll get there in the end.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

well i feel, they invented open e for ,Me

but thanks, i love my expression of freedom,

Peace out
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Unless your goal is to play using Johnny Smith chord voicings they are all easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWmDVcgpjhQ

It's all memorization. Learn chords in the context of songs and you'll always have both the song and the chord. After my first two chords that's how I learned the rest. By using songs that used chords.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

revvy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:52 am Wouldn't it be better just to have standard tuning and...practice more?

Surely you'll get there in the end.
I'm not your doctor so I can't say for sure but this is probably at least somewhat true. F is pretty notoriously hard for beginners and B will also be a challenge but you should manage everything else. I guess start with Em? Em-G-C-D and variations thereof is pretty common chord pattern. I would also get a capo if you don't have one to assist playing in different keys. As for open tunings I'd second open D. You could also try a drop tuning

I have me resonator tuned to open G and its pretty easy to play and sounds great (especially if you like the Rolling Stones...Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Start Me Up all open G...

D-G-D-G-B-D

Or just take of the 6th string and play with 5 strings (G-D-G-B-D) a la Keith Richards...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

When I was younger I'd do a lot of work with altered tuning. However there came a time when I wanted to do more covers. Then I'd learn a song or two in in an altered tuning and that would be that. I'd quickly revert to standard tuning because it was faster and easier for me to learn new material as well as for my own writing.

I haven't touched altered tuning in 15 years. I don't go back to the songs I learned back then. But I do keep a capo around and occassionally do a drop D tuning. YMMV
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

MadAnthony81 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 am Hi, I have an electric guitar, and I really suck. Because I can't place my fingers in the chord positions. I'm simply not that flexible, so...
I doubt it...
Have you ever had lessons from a real teacher that can give feedback on your technique?
Have you spent more than 400 hours trying?

I think, when I was 9, it took like half a year or so before I could place simple chord fingerings without thinking. Took me 5 seconds to move from D to Dm.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Big fan of Em11, as it allows you to get major chords, minor chords, m7 chords... highly recommended. In fact, I understand there's a move to make it the standard tuning... :wink:
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

MadAnthony81 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 am Hi, I have an electric guitar, and I really suck. Because I can't place my fingers in the chord positions. I'm simply not that flexible, so...
So practise more.
MadAnthony81 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 amCan someone please point me in the direction of the easiest tunings to play chords with...?
There are no "easiest tunings".

They're all as easy (or difficult) as each other.

Open tunings will take you in one direction very quickly. Fine, but try playing maj 7ths, augmented, or flat 5 chords for example and then it starts getting difficult, though not impossible.

Truthfully, the best advice anyone can give you is Practise, Practise, Practise.

Ry Cooder used to have several guitars on stage, each with different tunings, and he could pick up any one and sound amazing. The only difference between Ry Cooder and us regular folk is thousands and thousands of hours of practise.

You will get there eventually.
MadAnthony81 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 amThanks a bunch!

Anthony
You are most welcome Anthony

Some inspiration...

This guy became one of the top guitarists of his era and he only had two working fingers on his left hand.

You may, or may not like the music, but no one can deny the musicianship of Django.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhTpgicdx4

:)

Andywanders wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:28 am [...] no one can deny the musicianship of Django.
youtube wrote:Video unavailable
This video contains content from nikitaventures music, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.
It's a pity about this particular video.
But otherwise I completely agree.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Guitars”