Crap Guitar Sounds on Great Songs

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jafo wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:40 pm Far better to have a small tone and great songs than great tone and lousy songs!
:tu:
No auto tune...

CapnLockheed wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 pm Just another pointless thread that begs the ultimate unanswerable question....."What constitutes a good guitar tone." One man's trash..... :P
The thread is meant to be about sharing YOUR opinion. Not absolute fact. Just what are some songs you otherwise really like, but find the guitar tones terrible on. You could think a tone a trash and someone else can think it's great. That's ok. It's really more about the dichotomy of how we can really love a song and find one of the guitar tones quite bad at the same time.

About half of all B.B. King records.
The man can play, but his amp settings sucked. I blame it on endorsements...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:53 am About half of all B.B. King records.
Solid state amps are fine for country and jazz. Not Blues
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:37 pm
BertKoor wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:53 am About half of all B.B. King records.
Solid state amps are fine for country and jazz. Not Blues
But the endorsements were paid in green :wink:

Does this make a difference ?
No auto tune...

Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera, 1991 (same as Metallica Black Album), great songs but weak guitar sound...

Well I actually listened to some The Beatles masters on Tidal, and for some strange reason for a second I focused in guitars only... and the sound really was not that great (those early crappy distortions), can’t exactly remember the song right now... but as a whole the song was still magical!

jyty wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:09 pm Well I actually listened to some The Beatles masters on Tidal, and for some strange reason for a second I focused in guitars only... and the sound really was not that great (those early crappy distortions), can’t exactly remember the song right now... but as a whole the song was still magical!
As a huge Beatles fan they didn't have great guitar tones IMO. Not until maybe the Abbey Road album at least where suddenly they sounded great. But they're still great guitar songs and riffs. Tone isn't important when the songwriting, performances and arrangements are that good.

the all you need is love tone is great, just doesn't fit that song.
similar sound works great for mudhoney on touch me im sick. :hihi:

Billy Joel - A Matter of Trust

Sounds like a Rockman recorded direct to cassette... probably was!
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Edwyn Collins - Never met a girl solo. Used to hate it but it's grown on me. B&M Champion FTW

resynthesis wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:59 pm Edwyn Collins - Never met a girl solo. Used to hate it but it's grown on me. B&M Champion FTW
A very particular tone... Fuzz intrigues me greatly.

I normally hate fuzz, but in this song it works really well. All the other instrumentation is really light and smooth, so when the grinding fuzz kicks in, it just works.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Horrible guitar tone but a great song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrbFydtLF-Y
As a quite well known metal producer said guitar tone doesn't matter that much as you think. And he's right. You can get away with a crap guitar tone on a great song. But if it's a crap song with a crap guitar tone ppl will not be forgiving. :cry: :hihi:

So fizzy it hurts the ears. Any guitarist today that want to use a guitar tone like this would slapped be hard on his fingers from the rest of the band. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0dMw6O ... sDg65hUTbG

Petition to rename the first page of this thread “A Journey Through the Land of Dogshit Opinions: Guitar Tone Edition."

Return to “Guitars”