When does one use a plate reverb?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I read something which i remember said "DON'T use a plate reverb for .." but i've forgotten what it said and i can't find it.

Are plate reverbs only used for vocals?

It's mostly a matter of taste I guess. Me thinks plate reverbs are excellent to get an eighties / nineties vibe.

I only know one rule when not to do something: if it sounds bad.
Reverse rule of: when it sounds good, it is good.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thanks Bert.

Don't use a plate reverb where a bowl or saucer reverb would be more appropriate. You wouldn't want to anger The Crockery Gods, now, would you?

I always use Room or Hall reverbs. Or convolution reverbs of space like big church
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

As a general rule, I only (and often) use plate reverb on vocals and snare drum, when anything else needs reverb I go for more realistic "room" space.

Plate reverbs originated in the late 50s, and by the mid60s were already overused. Use one on a whole song today if you're going for a 50s-60s sound.

Lots of times today, however, they're a great go-to for vocal tracks, especially when used lightly on an aux track. But use it too often on different songs and listeners start to notice. Mix it up a bit.

If you told me I *had* to name a time never to use it, I might say a whole drum track. You want some ambience with that, so a room reverb is better there.

But on a vocal track, use it sparingly so you just barely hear it, and be careful not to overdo it if you're using chorusing with it, or are using a whole-song reverb on your master bus. It can make vocals muddy fast.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

an-electric-heart wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:06 am As a general rule, I only (and often) use plate reverb on vocals and snare drum, when anything else needs reverb I go for more realistic "room" space.
I agree with this advice, too. Snare is nice with a plate.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

plate reverb doesn't have a tendency to "push" the signal into the background like room/hall/chambers/springs if used correctly.
Check out some of my latest mixes and remixes:https://soundcloud.com/thinkmusic007

Thanks everybody.

If you're not going for 'realism' which is hard to achieve anyway, you can do all sorts of things. Including use a plate reverb wherever you like. You can't generalize like that 'don't use a plate on this or on that', it all depends on the source, settings and context.

In my experience plate verb is good to use on brighter sounds - sounds with more upper harmonic content.. Good to use on things to give them a little more excitement and presence

As with most reverb, a little goes a long way. I'd typically use plate verbs for vocals/claps/open hat (in house music at least) and main lead sounds

Plate reverb is 2D, and room reverb is 3D.
Basically it has only "floor" reflections, so it's good for emulating open spaces.
Also good for thickening sounds' tails.

I use plate reverbs on percussion. It's particularly good for metal hits, snares and toms. If I had to make up some guidelines, I'd say use it where you want a thickener, something to give a sound more substance, not when you are looking to add ambience. I'd never use one on a full mix, either, it's definitely more suitable as a "character" effect for an individual channel.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

TS-12 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:37 pm I always use Room or Hall reverbs. Or convolution reverbs of space like big church
thats great, but you haven't said what you use them on or why you don't use plate reverbs, which is kinda the whole point of the thread.

Return to “Production Techniques”