UVI Shade vs Wavesfactory Spectre

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking of buying one of the above saturation eqs.

Did anyone try both? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have Spectre, but if a saturation EQ is very specifically what you are looking for, then it' probably the better choice, since it was made for that purpose. However UVI Shade is incredible and has a lot of more creative filtering applications.

I'm looking for a creative tool! I guess saturation for subtle mixing is not necessarily what I'm looking for.

Then check out UVI Shade for SURE!

Different tools. Shade is very much a creative filtering tool that is also an EQ. Spectre is an EQ with multi-band saturation and distortion. So it kind of depends what you want. Both are very good plugins.

they're totally different tools, dude. Figure out what you want/need and then maybe rephrase the question?

They don't really have anything to do with each other,and if you did try and replicate Spectre with Shade,it wouldn't be at all straight forward to accomplish to the point you may as well have just bought Spectre.the only other EQ/Saturation plugin i know of that works similarly to Shade is HorNet TotalEQ
I

I just bought Shade because I am feeling like being creative with the modulation (the interesting filter types also look creative for static sound design), and also was looking at Spectre, because it can also be very useful for static sound design. The demo of Spectre on White Sea Studio sounds very good (I own Wavesfactory's tambourine plugin, which is very nice, so I have become a fan of that person/company's work :D )

WAVES is having a sale, and I am choosing to buy Brauer Motion (an interesting dual panner). WAVES has videos on it but they don't really specifically describe how the two panners are different. The frequency filtering that separates the two simultaneous panning motions is a little under-explained in these tutorials/reviews. But since I can get free plugins in the WAVES sale, my main question is about Waves Vitamin, and WAVES Scheps Parallel Particles - slightly similar to Spectre perhaps? I may opt to pick one of these up as a freebie. Can anyone describe for me any difference between such plugins (other than that Parallel Particles has other features than harmonic alteration)? Apparently they are all kind of EQ specific harmonic exciters or synthesizers of one kind or another? If Vitamin is not really very different or better than Spectre, I would choose the latter. I have not had the most success with WAVES as a company, because I purchased H-Reverb and it installed (and put into my plugin lists in my DAW) like 30 instances of the same plugin. H-Reverb Stereo, mono 5 channel, etc., etc. I have no idea how they could create so many instances rather than just let the plugin itself have a loader to load the various engines - but it certainly made my plugin drop down list a lot longer for little reason).
Last edited by moonchunk on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Also, in terms of saturation, Spectre does something quite different than your usual saturator - as the name suggests, and to my ears, Spectre create a kind of etherial "ghost" saturation that seems to over-lay the source rather than blend in with it... for lack of a better way to put it...

plexuss wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:58 am Also, in terms of saturation, Spectre does something quite different than your usual saturator - as the name suggests, and to my ears, Spectre create a kind of etherial "ghost" saturation that seems to over-lay the source rather than blend in with it... for lack of a better way to put it...
That's what I'm hoping for. IT sounds great in the video!

It's weird to me that you can't find certain sweet spots in modern filters with a liquid or phasey feel.

Most modern filters are so "transparent" I love the classic swept frequency classic and dub tech dub chord filters and note in shade that the presets in the demo just don't quite have the classic liquid sweep.

Cytomic The Drop has been used in some traditional EDM and Dub step that seems so meticulously designed without however any organic appeal.

I think lots of filters can suffice but only after lots of experimenting as far as my efforts go.

Shade is going to be more of a full featured product than most of the others and then I might buy at that point. Spectre makes no sense that it's anything but a mix healer.

WordClock wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:20 am It's weird to me that you can't find certain sweet spots in modern filters with a liquid or phasey feel.

Most modern filters are so "transparent" I love the classic swept frequency classic and dub tech dub chord filters and note in shade that the presets in the demo just don't quite have the classic liquid sweep.

Cytomic The Drop has been used in some traditional EDM and Dub step that seems so meticulously designed without however any organic appeal.

I think lots of filters can suffice but only after lots of experimenting as far as my efforts go.

Shade is going to be more of a full featured product than most of the others and then I might buy at that point. Spectre makes no sense that it's anything but a mix healer.
Filters are difficult. Soundtoys 5 is the best I have thus far but I had to buy the full pack to get the filters at a good price. I had Ohmforce's quad filter (forget its name just naow), but found it good for weird fx, but not that easy to control for more musical things. In terms of companies I missed until recently that help with an analog vibe, I've been looking at D16 - really all plugins, including their Fazortan - which I haven't bought yet - but the demo warmed my synths up in a really positve way. They seem geared towards achieving the hayday analog stuff. I don't think they specifically have a filter yet though. I purchased the Spacerek the other day and was blown away by it for my piano/synth/guitar sounds. For me the free Frontier analog limiter emulation is absolutely game-changing on Pianoteq with the Spacerek on it as well. Gentle changes on knobs really seem friendly to getting analog sounding fx.

moonchunk wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:58 am Can anyone describe for me any difference between such plugins
That kind of sounds like it needs to be its own thread...

WordClock wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:20 am It's weird to me that you can't find certain sweet spots in modern filters with a liquid or phasey feel.

You got any audio examples of what you would consider a good demonstration of a "liquid sweep"?

Moritz Von Oswald apparently used a Prophet for the dubby chord stuff in R&S,Basic Channel and such.the SSM filter in TheDrop if i recall correctly is based on one of the early Sequential Circuit filter chips.if its not sounding chunky enough during a sweep,you can try fiddling with the amount of input gain you feed it to control the peak of the resonance

AudioThing's Phase Motion can do very dubby phaser sweeps as well when driven a bit
I

spectre in de-emphasis mode is not even an EQ, it's just a "curve" saturator.

I don't think these two make any sense in comparison.

Return to “Effects”