Sample & hold reducer VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unaspected wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:04 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:40 pm That is exactly how a sample rate reducer with no interpolation works.
Not fully. Here we have half held and half passed. If we were reducing sample rate then we would be holding every sample for the required duration. The principal would be very similar though.

Both sound nasty in their raw forms as we're making square steps, thus generating odd harmonics that, without some form of interpolating filter, inevitably reflect back down through the spectrum.
Interesting. So you’re saying the audio is passed without processing when the square wave is positive, and only sampled and held when it goes negative (or maybe it was the other way around)?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:39 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:04 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:40 pm That is exactly how a sample rate reducer with no interpolation works.
Not fully. Here we have half held and half passed. If we were reducing sample rate then we would be holding every sample for the required duration. The principal would be very similar though.

Both sound nasty in their raw forms as we're making square steps, thus generating odd harmonics that, without some form of interpolating filter, inevitably reflect back down through the spectrum.
Interesting. So you’re saying the audio is passed without processing when the square wave is positive, and only sampled and held when it goes negative (or maybe it was the other way around)?
If following drdriller's specifications for the effect:
drdriller wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:57 pm i am not looking for a bit crusher/sample reducer even if the rendered fx is quite similar..

sample & hold fx is a gate from a square wav, the positive value of the square wav let the input pass, then when the square wav is negative the input is not read, instead the last sample read while square was positive is held.

controls available on a sample & hold fx is the pitch of the square wav.

i'm looking for a light plugin with only s&h to use with ableton wavetable.. i can anyway continue to use serum but in those time i wanted to use more of ableton stock instruments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKkOAh0 ... e=youtu.be

It's been a while since I developed a soundbank for Massive and I never considered the effect beyond its obvious sonic potential in use so I won't say this is exactly how Massive achieves the effect but that quick Reaktor demo adheres to drdriller's outlined requirements.

Available for Reaktor here: https://unaspectedstudios.com/sharing/R ... leHold.zip

Thought I'd post links again now we're on a new page - also failed to mention a couple of those points first time round.

nm
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

It is called track and hold. It does not appear that that's what massive is doing from a brief check on my daughter's laptop. Both Serum and massive appear to be doing standard sample and hold and the only bit that makes it different is the mix between the wet and dry and the routing options in massive.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:25 am It is called track and hold. It does not appear that that's what massive is doing from a brief check on my daughter's laptop. Both Serum and massive appear to be doing standard sample and hold and the only bit that makes it different is the mix between the wet and dry and the routing options in massive.
As I still don't have access to my speakers, I took a quick gander at the manual:
This is a “classic” sample and hold effect: It samples the incoming audio signal at a giventime interval, and this sample is held until the next sample is taken. This results in a “step-ped,” temporally quantized audio signal.▪The Dry/Wet Control adjusts the balance between the unprocessed (dry) signal at the leftand the delayed (wet) signal at the right.▪The Pitch Control adjusts the time interval (frequency) at which the signal is sampled;more slowly to the left, and more quickly as you turn the knob to the right. Slower sampletimes will result in “deep,” harsh distortion effects, while higher Pitch Control settings willresult in “high,” subtler distortion sounds.The Sample & Holdeffect can be used to create a variety of different distortion effects, de-pending on the settings you choose. Try using low Pitch Control values to create sounds similarto old digital synthesizers. This is in effect resampled at a lower sampling rate!Note that the Pitch Control by default follows the MIDI input pitch. You can control this withinthe Center Window’s Keytracking Oscillator Page
So it is a pitch tracked effect. The "pitch" parameter controls an offset to the pitch: 12 o'clock is equal pitch; with clockwise increasing and anticlockwise decreasing pitch in relation to the note played. I believe these insert effects were per voice as well.

And indeed, the square does not pass audio at any point. Not sure where drdriller got that idea but I quite like it.

I'll make a new version of that Reaktor patch a little later, conforming to Massive's specs and upload it here so drdriller has both options. Though, unless drdriller is prepared to split synth voices over his DAW's mixer, it will only operate on one voice.

If he has Bitwig then this is a very simple patch to build in the grid and could easily be switched to a track and hold setup which would take into account pulsewidth and other phase manipulations. Outside of that reaktor is probably to best way to go. It can be done in Softube modular easily as well but seems like it may be overkill on the cpu for such a simple effect. There are probably many other modular type synths/effects, that would do this trick too. Bazille or Zebra would work off the top of my head, and zebrify if you wanted to apply it to any arbitrary sound.

Pretty sure the Cypher FX version in DCAM can do this

moshimoshi wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:42 am Pretty sure the Cypher FX version in DCAM can do this
It certainly can.

Return to “Effects”