Moog Sirin worth it?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is Moog Sirin worth it? I have Minitaur and Bass Station 2. I would probably have to sell the Minitaur to fund the Sirin but it looks like I would lose about $200 in the process.

Eh, I don't think so personally. I think you could do a lot better both within Moog's line of products and with other manufacturers. I definitely don't think it's worth the $200 difference if you already have a minitaur. Have you considered any of the other Moog synth?

It doesn’t strike me as good value. Matriarch otoh looks incredible.

Unless you specifically want Moog though, I’d look elsewhere if money is in fact an object.

Isn't a Sirin basically a Minitaur with more frequency range?

You guys think Sirin is worth it as only analog synth? I sold a Subsequent37 because it had too many features and I reached always for VSTs bc they where easier to handle without recording and latency etc...

I like the idea of the Sirin, and I see one on Reverb for $500 now, which brings it more into Minitaur and Mother-32 range...

But there are cheaper alternatives from many different brands, so it's up to you if you really feel like you have to have the Moog sound specifically (without resorting to Behringer).

It's worth looking into those options. I'd personally lean more toward Arturia, Novation or the Roland SE-02 (not being a fan of Korg filters in particular).

thx! well I mean I liked the sound of the subsequent37 but it was too powerful for me so maybe ill give sirin a shot. maybe it rises in second hand price since its a limited product...

I bought a Sirin as a birthday gift for myself in 2019 not long after the OP posed the question. Prices have gone up in the past 15 months by about $100 on average. They definitely have not gone down. I doubt they will.

Really happy with my Sirin. They're something special. Mr. Nightmares on Wax says it better than I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVkkRCdh2KA

kidslow wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:46 am I bought a Sirin as a birthday gift for myself in 2019 not long after the OP posed the question. Prices have gone up in the past 15 months by about $100 on average. They definitely have not gone down. I doubt they will.
The few shops that still have 'em discounted 'em, though.
I paid a below-average price early 2019, those new prices are even lower.
Last edited by cptgone on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

might be a good investment for the future since its limited?!?

cptgone wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:47 pm The few shops that still have 'em discounted 'em, though.
I paid a below-average price in early 2018, those new prices are even lower.
Sirin was introduced at NAMM in January 2019.

I would have to pay $100 more today than I did in mid 2019 to get one in the exact same condition.

Oops, I meant 2019.

I paid € 645,05 (using a 5% voucher) and have recently seen Sirins at below €600.
The shops involved seem to have sold 'em out now though.
I still find one for €619 (not sure if still available though): https://www.leocaerts.be/moog-sirin
Last edited by cptgone on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tendou wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:53 pm might be a good investment for the future since its limited?!?
It's a piece of music gear, not a painting. I would get one only if you like the sound it produces and the workflow.

To that point, here's my second favorite Sirin jam on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaN48cMfY2U

cptgone wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:55 pm Oops, I meant 2019.

I paid € 645,05 (using a 5% voucher) and have recently seen Sirins at below €600.
The shops involved seem to have sold 'em out now though.
I still find one for €619 (not sure if still available though): https://www.leocaerts.be/moog-sirin
Well 2020 feels like it has been 2 years in one :o , so I can understand how you made such a mistake.

Seems prices in Europe may be slightly higher. If you look at the pricing history on Reverb, prices dropped immediately after launch and found an equilibrium in the middle to end of last year as dealers discounted and sold them off. Now that there are fewer to be found new, prices have gone back up closer to the launch price.

I don't think I could make $100 on top of what I paid if I sold mine today, but I could definitely do better than break-even. Last piece of my kit that I have any interest in selling.

A Siren would be totally worth it if you love that Moog sound. Absolutely.

There's alternatives, but you give some things up to get some things, as usual. For monos in that general price range, there's the Roland SE-02, Dreadbox Ereberus v3, Vermona Mono Lancet, Korg Monologue, Erica Synths DB01, and more.

You already have a BS2, which is a great choice. I'd look for things that sound different, but incorporate as many aspects as possible that you like about the BS2 (e.g., do you care about presets?).

Or... start saving up for a $1k+ analog poly.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”