Chromaphone 3 - what will it be ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:57 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:35 pm Impressed that Chromaphone 3 seems to have handled every Scala file I've thrown at it with aplomb. Even the 79-159-* files which cause some units to run screaming. Works well as a sound source inside Virtual Modular/VCV Rack when fed with the right voltages.
Mine seems to have lost the new that used to come with it though for some reason. When I browse to the folder it specifies for Scl files it's empty.
There aren't any files in there by default, you have to populate the folder with files before you can choose anything.

I don't know if anyone will be able to open this, but this is a hypnotic thing I've been playing with that plays three different Chromaphone 3 instances in VCV Rack using a very strange tuning.

You will need the 'premium' paid VCV Host module to use it. I've otherwise used only free modules that you can get from the library except for the free VST Valhalla Supermassive.

scala files and chromaphone 3.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:06 pm
yellowmix wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:36 pm Underwhelming. No real innovation. Would like to have seen different structures, excitation models (wind, rubbing), more coupling, and collision modelling. And yeah MPE would be great for a strike and scrape. Passing for now. Will probably pick it up when they offer a collection upgrade package on sale.
I think its worth it (@$35) just for the 400+ new pre-sets using two independent timbres combined, they sound much better to me- I have been playing with Andean Pan Pipes for about 20 minutes!
I, too, think the price is fair even for the presets alone (I suppose, I haven't bought it yet). And still I'm disappointed that AAS isn't really pushing forward anymore. It has basically been maintenance mode for many years now. Quite sad for a company that has been really innovative in the past. I really wish for them to become more innovative again in the future.

Is anyone else also noticing crazy hits on the CPU?

gondii wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 pm Is anyone else also noticing crazy hits on the CPU?
Yes it tends to be really noticeable when using the new bi-timbral presets with 16 voices so lower the voice count to 8.

Also some DAWs like Reaper will put the entire plugin processing through just one thread so you may find it better to duplicate the track with the plugin in and then turn layer A off on one, and layer B off on the other.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:01 pm Yes it tends to be really noticeable when using the new bi-timbral presets with 16 voices so lower the voice count to 8.
It seems to be making no difference how many voices I set polyphony to...

When I'm turning most knobs I quickly move into the "150% CPU / crackling and glitching" territory.

Doesn't appear to be normal...
Last edited by gondii on Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I have to agree with tatanka , except for the newplugs chromaphone and objek delay , the other plugins have the exact same sound engines for almost 2 decades , they just got more expensive + new paint job /resizing
Why people give his post a thumbs down is beyond me , it's pretty obvious by now how AAS operates.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

masterhiggins wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:08 pm Chromaphone is my favorite synth. That being said, AAS’s major updates have been disappointing. Regardless of how awesome it would be, we don’t see a full mod matrix or anything close to it. My predictions:

-New preset browser
-additional layers
-new, half-assed output effect
-inexplicable increase in CPU usage
-resizable GUI

It almost seems like they painted themselves into a corner with whatever architecture they chose 20 years ago and major revisions are difficult to implement without a complete rewrite.
I don't have the upgrade but this is mostly right !? ( BTW Love Chromapahone, one of my favourites)

I haven't tried it yet, but not overly impressed with the changes. My favorite version is the original, which they added to my account for free (along with Ultra Analog) when I asked for it, after buying version 2 of the bundle.

paterpeter wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:47 pm I'm disappointed that AAS isn't really pushing forward anymore. It has basically been maintenance mode for many years now. Quite sad for a company that has been really innovative in the past. I really wish for them to become more innovative again in the future.
:tu:

Between version 1 and 2,their painting skills improved along with better effects and in version 3,the've learnt to layer voices, but that is about the extent of their new tricks...

I find the improved internal effects of v2 quite useful,so I am happy with the v2 efforts and Lounge Lizard 4....

If I want to layer something,I would rather use a different sound source for increased flexibility of tone...

Arranging 101 :wink:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

hotmitts wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:06 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:08 pm Chromaphone is my favorite synth. That being said, AAS’s major updates have been disappointing. Regardless of how awesome it would be, we don’t see a full mod matrix or anything close to it. My predictions:

-New preset browser
-additional layers
-new, half-assed output effect
-inexplicable increase in CPU usage
-resizable GUI

It almost seems like they painted themselves into a corner with whatever architecture they chose 20 years ago and major revisions are difficult to implement without a complete rewrite.
I don't have the upgrade but this is mostly right !? ( BTW Love Chromapahone, one of my favourites)
I’ve been playing with the one feature I was interested in enough to buy the upgrade, the ability to load scala files and use different tunings than the standard western 12 tone scale.

Are you safe?

I'm a registered user of the previous versions, and I just picked up this new version - v3. Super!! I’m impressed with the new interface and the built-in library. Browsing seems easier. Sweeter workflow. This version is multi/bi-timbral, which adds lots of flexibility for stacking or splitting. I've only owned this for an hour or so, so not much of a testimony, but so far, so good. It's an exceptional value at full price, even better at the introductory offer, and a no-brainer for the little upgrade cost. I believe the sound packs are also on a v3 introductory special. It might be time to pick up the missing soundsets.

Tbh i agree with people that said that no update to the core engine is disappointing.

On the other hand, user experience for me is MUCH better and i see myself using it more than before.

Sometimes i dont have time to work on sounds from scratch. Previous preset browser meant that searching for A snare was 2 dropdown menus and searching for one in each bank.
Now it means categories>snares.
And all my cp2 banks work with categories!

I can find a snare much faster that i can edit to my taste.
Missing “something “ from the sound you found? Hello another layer.

And UI is just more inviting to work with.

I paid 20$ for plugmon’s skins because it improved UX with some u-he synths for me (first and foremost Diva).
So 35$ for a new ui, scala, new much improved preset browser, layering, macros, and an actually useful new factory preset, not only exoctic/weird sounds...

Its a good deal.
Its not exceptional but it improves chromaphone enough for me to be well worth it.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:37 am Bought it - the only thing that sells it for me is the enhanced gui and performance macros plus the revamped library, missed opportunity to add MPE and particularly better aftertouch support again
Yeah, a real shame. Time after time they release the same basic plugins with hardly any changes and declare them a new version. If this was a U-He plugin, they’d be calling it 1.3. Now that there are synths with polyphonic aftertouch on the market for decent prices, at least add that, if not true MPE.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

gondii wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 pm Is anyone else also noticing crazy hits on the CPU?
Would you call it an inexplicably crazy hit on the CPU? :)

Yes, Chromaphone 3 is a Horrible CPU Hog.

I was playing a few repeated triad chords using the factory patch named 'Restless Alchemist' , and my CPU usage was going over 50%. at RAM buffer setting of 256. That's no good. Hopefully AAS can improve the efficiency of Chrom. 3, I will email them to let them know that this is a big issue. Back to using Chromaphone 2, it is so much more CPU efficient on my system. I wonder what's the change besides the Dual Engines in Chrom. 3 ? I even tried disabling all the effects, but that didn't help much.

Return to “Instruments”