Taking The Old Klee Out For A Spin [VCV Rack]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnlMqkKfvTs

From the YT notes:
It's been parked neatly in the garage, patiently waiting to be gassed up and let out for a bit of a boisterous ride, accompanied by friends old and new. It's a lovely autumn day, promising a noisy trip with bumps likely but hopefully relieved by some mellow stretches.
IOW, a little workout for a sequencer I haven't used for a while. Nothing severe here, but a little raucous at times. It's also a workout for the Palette module, an extensive modification of the Plaits Eurorack module from Mutable Instruments. Palette is the single sound source for the patch, though the Annuli (Rings) resonators do add their share to the audio welter.

I enjoy what vurt does with Plaits in the hardware realm, someday I'll figure out how to do something similar with VCV Rack. Meanwhile here's my current attempt. Btw, the recording is a single take with only one edit (to repair an audio gap).

Bon appetit, comments are welcome as always.

Best regards,

dp

1980s King Crimson anyone? Lots of interesting linking patterns in cool meters. You can have a lot of fun with VCV Rack. Nice experimenting. Do you find yourself making sounds that you didn't expect?
Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

@Allomerus - Thank you, I'll accept any comparison to KC. :)
Do you find yourself making sounds that you didn't expect?
Yes indeed. I typically start sound work by creating a basic patch with basic settings then adding a lot of modulation. However, I've learned to restrict the range of modulation to keep the sounds within a somewhat predictable timbre space. I'm not a sound designer but I'm not a presets users either. Well, there aren't any presets for most VCV Rack modules anyway, so I do put in a little time on the basic patch design.

Over time I've come to use less wildly attached modulation. Maybe I'm getting to know some of these modules a bit better. That would be nice. :party:

Best regards,

dp

alien jazz solo! :love:

as to what i do, i like to mess with time, my sequencers rarely follow the same clocks for example, not just divisions, different clocks, then you can modulate the clocks so they move in and out of time.
also, modulate your modulators.

but, the feeling is mutual, i love your stuff, theres the similarities in sound we share, but what you do with those sounds is worlds apart musically.
keep patching! :ud:

Yeah...can hear the KC! Also reminded me of Keith Emerson at times...especially Brain salad Surgery for some reason!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Great sounds and evolving timbres. I would have liked to hear more variation in the timing of the sequence.
Klee sequencer is a lot of fun, especially when self patched. I helped a friend build one years ago.

vurt wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:56 pm alien jazz solo! :love:
As I keep telling my wife, "We do things differently on my planet."
as to what i do, i like to mess with time, my sequencers rarely follow the same clocks for example, not just divisions, different clocks, then you can modulate the clocks so they move in and out of time.
also, modulate your modulators.
Conceptually I get it, but when I try to do anything like that it certainly doesn't end up sounding like your music. I'm missing that ineffable "parfum de vurt". :)
keep patching! :ud:
Will do, thanks.

Best regards,

dp
Last edited by StudioDave on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:18 pm Yeah...can hear the KC! Also reminded me of Keith Emerson at times...especially Brain salad Surgery for some reason!
Wow, I'll take that comparison, thanks !

I saw KE with The Nice at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit 'way back in the early 70s (or late 60s, not sure anymore but those old Grande schedules are all online now). He literally killed his keyboard, stabbed it to death. Weird concert. IIRC they opened for the Velvet Underground (minus John Cale, alas).

Best regards !

dp

justin3am wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:48 am Great sounds and evolving timbres. I would have liked to hear more variation in the timing of the sequence.
Klee sequencer is a lot of fun, especially when self patched. I helped a friend build one years ago.
Thank you ! I'll experiment some more with timing and the Klee, that's not a possibility I've explored much yet. And I agree, it's a great instrument. :)

Best regards,

dp

Very cool. I like the thing which happens around 1:25 and then around 2:00 quite a lot.

seeing the topic title the first time I wondered why you'd drive around with a painting

I imagine drums and bass coming in eventually. you could accent this thusly with some variety as is (striating the time some) but I'm not bored by the consistency

jancivil wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:10 pm Very cool. I like the thing which happens around 1:25 and then around 2:00 quite a lot.
Thanks, Jan, those are favorite spots. Bass & drums would definitely kick there.
seeing the topic title the first time I wondered why you'd drive around with a painting
I studied classical guitar in Washington DC for a summer, lived in an apartment not far from the Phillips Collection of modern art, which included a room with nothing but small pieces by Paul Klee. Beautiful, charming, very weird. I loved that room.

If I owned a painting by Klee I might ride around with it. Unlikely but possible.

Best regards,

dp

i liked it ...

got a little g-spot tornado on you ...
(jan's remark pushed me down that path ) ...

It's a lot like the things Zappa did in 1977 when he didn't have a record deal, in his basement on a Synkey

Did somebody mention Frank :wink:

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”