Is The Dark Zebra worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cnt wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:43 pm Beautiful presets in that video...
Except for Diva-filters, what is the differences between Dark Zebra and the original one?
From top head
- diva filters
- 4 extra mseg’s
-4 extra mod mappers
- moog resonator bank
- new compressor
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

antic604 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:20 pmAs far as I understand, owning The Dark Zebra means I'd get Zebra 3 for free
I wouldn’t hold your breath for that, but Zebra HZ is basically Zebra 3 if you base it on what most companies think of as a version upgrade.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Zebra HZ combine extreme flexibility with high quality filters plus other interesting goodies, like Gentleclockdivider wrote: more comb filters, more mseg's, more filters, more presets : more power! And it should help one of the greatest companies on the market made by people who love synthesis and understand perfectly the link between analog workflow and new dsp technology.
Best
YY

I have Dark Zebra and I wish I could sell it without Zebra 2. Additions like extra mod matrix slots and mono diva filters (that don't really sound that better then xmf) is something I thought I need couple years ago, practise showed i don't.

If you are not in need for the presets then no it's not worth it. In my opinion. Also only a very small number actually uses HZ version additional features, very very small number and if you open in Zebra 2 and activate xmf filter it automaticly has mod assignment as diva filters would have.

But this is just my opinion and expierience may vary.

Obviously, each case will be different. I only use two soft synths, and if i could only use one, it would be the Dark Zebra. Most of the sounds i make are sort of radioactive mutant analog sounds, so the option to use the Diva filters is handy, but they're sort of clunkily implemented (they're mono, so sending wide sounds through them requires more routing). I also think they're the sort of thing that you fall in love with when designing a sound, but ultimately don't really matter once you put that sound in a mix. However, i find them pleasing and they get me some sounds i'm after much quicker than the stock Zebra2 filters (though you've also got a couple accidental Diva filters in the regular Zebra). I like that i can design a crazy futuristic FM bass one day and then a snarling Oberheim-type thing the next. More than anything, i've used the channel compressors for controlling pulses or introducing chaotic compression schemes into bass sounds. The presets it comes with are fantastic, and i do find myself using modified versions of them in my own music more than i thought i would. They're also fascinating to reverse engineer, as they're a fine example of what deep and emotive results just a few modules can produce. If you're not into presets, or studying presets, this won't be a factor.

I really don't understand how much weight the Zebra 3 upgrade path gets when discussing the Dark Zebra and its worth in ones arsenal...the phantom of Zebra3 has been around so long that it's in your best interest to just focus on the instrument you're buying and not what other instrument it could potentially get you in the future.

voidhead23 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:12 am Obviously, each case will be different. I only use two soft synths, and if i could only use one, it would be the Dark Zebra. Most of the sounds i make are sort of radioactive mutant analog sounds, so the option to use the Diva filters is handy, but they're sort of clunkily implemented (they're mono, so sending wide sounds through them requires more routing). I also think they're the sort of thing that you fall in love with when designing a sound, but ultimately don't really matter once you put that sound in a mix. However, i find them pleasing and they get me some sounds i'm after much quicker than the stock Zebra2 filters (though you've also got a couple accidental Diva filters in the regular Zebra). I like that i can design a crazy futuristic FM bass one day and then a snarling Oberheim-type thing the next. More than anything, i've used the channel compressors for controlling pulses or introducing chaotic compression schemes into bass sounds. The presets it comes with are fantastic, and i do find myself using modified versions of them in my own music more than i thought i would. They're also fascinating to reverse engineer, as they're a fine example of what deep and emotive results just a few modules can produce. If you're not into presets, or studying presets, this won't be a factor.

I really don't understand how much weight the Zebra 3 upgrade path gets when discussing the Dark Zebra and its worth in ones arsenal...the phantom of Zebra3 has been around so long that it's in your best interest to just focus on the instrument you're buying and not what other instrument it could potentially get you in the future.
Any thing to upsell the synth.. on a subliminal level, I think we all just want more money thrown at u-he in hopes it will get us Zebra 3 faster :D

qoyl wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:14 am Any thing to upsell the synth.. on a subliminal level, I think we all just want more money thrown at u-he in hopes it will get us Zebra 3 faster :D
Almost certainly the opposite. If sales drop, they'll be more likely to release it, in order to get some money flowing in.

not worth it for you
( just say this because it's my secret weapon, and don't want others use it)

Personally, I bought Dark Zebra primarily for the free Zebra3 upgrade, but figured, hey, I'll have the Dark Zebra features, skin, and presets to keep me entertained until that glorious day when the "Here's Your Zebra 3 Download Link!" email arrives in my inbox.... well, that was over 5 years ago and my excitement for Dark Zebra and Zebra 3 died a while ago. I'm sure it will be worth it when Zebra 3 is eventually released, but the hype was way over the top in retrospect.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

The diva filters, the resonator bank, the masterclass in patch programming... hell yeah it's worth it. I had a bunch of percussive instrument patches from Zebra 2 that really benefited from the resonator and the compressors. Like others said, don't get it for the Zebra 3 upgrade. That was definitely premature.... even though it'll be a nice cherry on top once it is finally released.

accessdune3 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:56 am mono diva filters
Mono-filters??

Is Dark Zebra available as an effect btw?

Luckily, nowadays there are quite a number of "super synths" to choose from, for those that like that Swiss army knife approach...

cnt wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:21 pmIs Dark Zebra available as an effect btw?
No.

I’ve not got Zebra yet... :oops:

easyrider wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:41 pm I’ve not got Zebra yet... :oops:
how do you get around?
still on a horse? its 2020 dude!

Return to “Instruments”