SimulAnalog free Guitar Suite - Is it still good in 2020/2021 ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey folks! I just published my review and tone test of the SimulAnalog FREE guitar suite! Is it still good in 2020/2021? To me it sounded unbelievably great, you just have to get used to the GUI!

https://youtu.be/p_APTjLK4Pw

Yes, Twin and Marshall always worked well, back in the day 20 years ago when I used it.
I will check out your review either way using regular tube amps since long.

EDIT: probably missed something - but which plugins were you testing as playing?
It sounded like Marshall, but could be a stompbox too.
You changed reverb in between etc, everything else the same.

Headroom for improvement maybe...
Last edited by lfm on Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Made by the Overloud peeps.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Overloud TH-U is like the 4th or 5th generation of Simulanalog. Same developer so the newer offerings should be more accurate. I don't think the Simulanlog Univibe was ever remodelled.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Yes, if you use it with impulse responses after... Overdrive/dist, amp, IR loader...

I thought they had GUIs now?

uses default gui in your daw of choice
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I know they used to but thought someone added GUIs a while back...

Edit: http://requietus.blogspot.com/2008/12/s ... e-gui.html

Last edited by GaryG on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That might be right.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

That's a FACT Jack.....LOL!! Requietus made the GUI's. You can dld them here:

http://morpho.lanet.lv/vst/Simulanalog. ... te.GUI.rar

Cheers.....CL :oops:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

I recall liking and (still) using the modulation FX.
New, old favourite for clean guitar is Pedals by ToneBytes with this preset I made. Guit1.fxb
Give it a go, and let me know. :?:
Performance mode required in JBridge.
Rhythm uses Pedals VST Lead uses Guitar Rig4 Essentials.
PS. It also seems to work before another amp sim in serial.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

They use builtin cabs that can't be disabled. I thought someone made an IR hack that would somehow neutralize the sound and could be used with a separate IR after it, to kind of change the speaker cab tone/color.

Ha, good old SimulAnalog! Used them a lot on our first singles & album back in 2003-2004 (no-one has ever complained about those sounds, so I guess the plugins did their job). When I moved to Mac, I switched to Ampltube (v1, mind you), but still liked the PC-only SimulAnalog more in some guitar parts, so I bounced them to audio on PC first. Haven't really tried the plugins since then, but as much I remember, they used to have this "good sound out of the box, not much tweaking necessary" -quality. Listening to the video, it still sounds very usable, alhough it might have a little of this old "static-digital-waveshaper"-vibe.

^
That's some CV you have there.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

Imho, I still use these because they can actually cut through a mix, unlike quite a lot of ampsims, modern or old.

I mostly just use the jcm900 and the tubescreamer.
The Marshall clean tone on channel A is an acquired taste, but they seem to have nailed it.
Same with the spring reverb. An acquired taste, but it's spot-on imho.
Channel B + the ts9 can get a huge variety of Marshall tones.
Add a graphic EQ, delay, chorus for channel A etc etc

Like everyone else, I tried the "de-cab" thing, adding my own IRs... It always sounds better just using its default baked-in cab.

I also tried the GUI versions, but they were done in synthedit, which kinda defeats the tight concise coding of the originals.

Fun fact: channel B doesn't utilise any actual tube overdrive... It's completely SS, like a big distortion pedal jacked straight into a tube power section. Adding the ts9 in front, that's a lot of distortion :D
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Return to “Effects”