To the Absynth owners: still worth it in 2020/2021 ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mholloway wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:13 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:02 pm you can do analogue style bass with it, but honestly, why the f**k would you?
there are better, easier synths for that. if you think analogue bass is the arbiter of a good synthesiser
Or maybe you just have a very narrow definition of what 'analogue bass' means. Absynth can make huge, warm, dare I say 'phat' analog-style bass patches all day long. It's a wonderful synth for bass -- analog and digital, and everything else. No, the presets obviously don't showcase this, but it's true nonetheless.

Absynth is full of waveshapers. They are one of the key features of the synth's design. And they can do absolutely wonderful things for shaping bass sounds of all kinds -- from warm and rich to huge and ripping.

And then there's the little CLOUD module.... the 'mini' Aetherizer. A tool that, because people are so simple-minded, gets pigeon-holed as 'a thing you use for long stretched out ambient pads and soundscapes'. Except that....it can do so much more.

I've made dozens of industrial bass sounds using the CLOUD module and stereo-mode on the Osc. It's incredible.

People are such easy prey for simple-minded marketing. And then it spreads....as we see here endlessly. 'WHY THE F**CK' would I use Absynth for analog bass, you ask, incredulously? I'd ask you to question your incredulity. Why The F**CK wouldnt' I, is a better question It's a synth. It can do any type of synth-sound. It can do analog bass, even if 'it's a pad machine' is the popular description of it. I don't need to buy a synth with 'bass-station' printed on it to make quality bass sounds.
my point, was more for those that complain its difficult to get those sounds with absynth. that if thats the sound you want, there are plenty of options, you wouldnt buy absynth if you were wanting a bass synth.

of course you can, if you wish too, and indeed make some awesome basses, but thats not where absynths uniqueness is, that is in the more spacey, pads/soundscapes. there, it does things others cant. this is why you would choose absynth above other synths, imo.
then yes, you may also use it for your bread and butter sounds too.

and im pretty sure i never shouted :P
that would be rude!
Last edited by vurt on Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:02 pm you can do analogue style bass with it, but honestly, why the f**k would you?
there are better, easier synths for that. if you think analogue bass is the arbiter of a good synthesiser
Or maybe you just have a very narrow definition of what 'analogue bass' means. Absynth can make huge, warm, dare I say 'phat' analog-style bass patches all day long. It's a wonderful synth for bass -- analog and digital, and everything else. No, the presets obviously don't showcase this, but it's true nonetheless.

Absynth is full of waveshapers. They are one of the key features of the synth's design. And they can do absolutely wonderful things for shaping bass sounds of all kinds -- from warm and rich to huge and ripping.

And then there's the little CLOUD module.... the 'mini' Aetherizer. A tool that, because people are so simple-minded, gets pigeon-holed as 'a thing you use for long stretched out ambient pads and soundscapes'. Except that....it can do so much more.

I've made dozens of industrial bass sounds using the CLOUD module and stereo-mode on the Osc. It's incredible.

People are such easy prey for simple-minded marketing. And then it spreads....as we see here endlessly. 'WHY THE F**CK' would I use Absynth for analog bass, you ask, incredulously? I'd ask you to question your incredulity. Why The F**CK wouldnt' I, is a better question. It's a synthesizer. It can do any type of synth-sound. It can do analog bass, even if " but it's a pad machine" is the popular marketing description of it. I don't need to buy a synth with 'bass-station' printed on it to make quality bass sounds.

At the end of the day it's almost always down to the User whether a given synth can actually do Thing X or Y.
Hear hear! Wot he said! :x
A well-behaved signature.

yes! :tantrum:

i was being "hyperbolic" :cry:
as in why would you watch an absynth video and think it doesnt sound like it would be good for basses instead of "oh my! listen what this thing can do!!"

that is all! i was not trying to say dont use it for that if you wish!!! but if thats all youre looking for, yes, theres better options!!! that is all.

no need to be getting upset :)
its just one idiots* opinion! :ud:

* - me.

indeed ...
i can't tell you the number of times i've been astounded by how different a patch
can sound , just by faffing about w/ the waveshaper ...
something as simple as changing the waveform in the waveshaper can produce
surprising timbre changes ...

vurt wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:42 pm yes! :tantrum:

as in why would you watch an absynth video and think it doesnt sound like it would be good for basses instead of "oh my! listen what this thing can do!!"

that is all! i was not trying to say dont use it for that if you wish!!! but if thats all youre looking for, yes, theres better options!!! that is all.

* - me.
Sorry vurt, I'm still furious with you! :x :x

:hihi:
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:42 pm yes! :tantrum:

* - me.
Sorry vurt, I'm still furious with you! :x :x

:hihi:
🙈

gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Absynth is still one of the best soft synths ever so far. It doesn't matter that it hasn't been updated to version 6 for ages. The best thing is to load it with other samples other than NI's to create drones or soundscapes. Well at least for me. But some sounds included are very good too. And with some I hear maybe one sound that I like and delete one or two and import other samples and create another sound of it. Anyway many of the best ambient sounds are made by layer upon layer of different sounds e.g. I created one sound with seven different ones with Kontakt recently and another with four. The same with absynth. One ambient track can have many many sounds before I'm pleased and have the sounds I want it to have. To op if you don't have Kontakt, get it if you can afford. You will have so many possibilites with both Absynth and Kontakt.

I can answer my own question now: Absynth, still worth it in 2020/2021 ?

YES! After 5 days on intensive experiments and exploration with the demo, I decided to buy it. Couldn't let that one go away for $75, even it NI abandons it in term of features, as long as it stays maintained for OS updates, I'll be happy.

As an ambient artist, I have ZERO idea how I missed that one. And I can honestly say that I was, late, very very late to the party on this one haha! :lol:

It's amazing and scary deep, I understand why most of you love it too. Thanks to all of you here for your valuable inputs. Still, don't hesitate to keep the thread running of course :)

see, told you dave was wrong :D

Yeah haha!

Of course, I have zero interest into making basses and such with Absynth. It's gonna be 100% experimental and soundscapes, which I feel Absynth is an ultimate machine built for that.

absynth experimental? soundscapes?

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123/t ... al-threads

:borg:

WasteLand wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 pm absynth experimental? soundscapes?

Epic darkness! :o

Neon Breath wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:26 am
WasteLand wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 pm absynth experimental? soundscapes?

Epic darkness! :o
:D 8) :evil: :hihi:

The 'Mutate' feature in Absynth is very overlooked, can get some really interesting sounds using it.

Return to “Instruments”