Show and Tell - Your guitar(s)

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mass produced guitars are all hit or miss when it comes to workmanship because they really don't have time. Even Gibson had a policy of destroy all guitars that aren't up to spec at the retailer.

I remember a time when if you bought a guitar of medium value the frets were always dressed and polished. With the big american brands it was always done at the factory. Ibanez and a few others started to skimp on this and leave it up to the retailer. Not all retailers were or are the same. I've seen quite a bit of bait and switch with guitars. You play one, they take it back to "find a case" Complete the sale, take it home and there's a different guitar with a different serial in the case.

While I state Ibanez started this with medium value guitars many manufacturers already did it with budget friendly ones. After I started to see this on Ibanez it didn't take long for Peavey and other brands to take suit. Dealers already know that less than 10 percent of new guitarists will keep it up for a year. They want a budget guitar and that's what they are sold. Those that stick to guitar playing will try to make the most of what they have before moving on to a better guitar.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Interesting perspective. I have my own story of an Ibby 12 string, but don't have the energy to write it out. As to your latter point, I was astonished here about how badly some of the guitars in the local shop were setup. Then came the pitch: "for about €60, we can have someone make it perfect!" Uh huh. Ironically, one of their competitors gave us the name of the luthier who does all the shop's work, so I deal with him directly without giving the shop its pound of flesh. I could hear their teeth grinding when I mentioned I was a private customer of their luthier.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Just another setup story...

A few years ago I was in a shop where a mate worked. They received their Gibson and Tanglewood shipments while I was there. Guess what were the best? They really loved Tanglewood because they usually arrived ready to go on the wall (I've since heard the same from other dealers). The Gibsons were, erm, a mixed bunch but at least none were broken that time.

The Epi - Joe Pass was the last guitar I bought in a store. It also was one of those rare occasions that I actually went to a store to buy a guitar over the last 15 years. While I knew a teacher at the store I only walked into the place twice since they opened 15 years ago. I looked at the body and fell in love. I'd seen all the video's. I pulled it up and the tech came out from his little work area and said... Wait, that guitar hasn't been set up yet. I played it anyway. I wasn't impressed with the action or the intonation. He told me to come back in two days and try it again after he had worked on it.

He set the action up adjusted the floating bridge and polished the frets. This was on a new guitar that went online for the same price they were selling it. That impressed me.

What didn't impress me was going into the store and wanting to swap out the neck pup as well as try some tapewounds. They didn't have tapewounds and every time I said tape wounds the guy behind the counter would push chromes on me. That and him suggesting after I raised the pole pieces to raise the pole pieces for a desired tone.

So I go down to an old friend of mine (who is no longer in business - retired) and see the pup I wanted installed as well as ordered a replacement tailpiece. When I asked him about tape wounds he said he didn't carry them and didn't know where I could get them. Honesty. In a week I had my guitar back with pups and tailpiece, no charge for labor and very reasonable charges for the pup and tailpiece.

I used to be highly critical about imports from China and Indonesia. Lots of bad reports. Nonetheless the workmanship on my Chinese Fender Telecaster, My Indonesian D'angelico EXL and more.

tapper mike wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:13 am It wouldn't be a bad thing if... John or John (not to point fingers) would show their collections here.
me? :lol:
hardly a collection. but ill grt some pics sorted (once ive dusted them)

I didn't want to single anyone out.

We also may have one or two Eric's around here as well. I haven't seen too much of the other Mike's

lxdevaux wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:10 am IMG_20200818_130040.png

Hi everybody. That's my lovely Ibanez AEG50-IBH. I got her about half a year ago and I'm still madly in love with her. Before I was playing on a Martin Backpacker, as I was traveling a lot. The Martin was a good guitar (despite what some people think about it), but it just can't compare to this beauty (I simply love blue guitars :love: )

Of course all good guitars need a name and this one is no exception. Hers is Aisling. It's Irish for 'dream' and it fits her on so many levels. Ok I stop rambling about her now. Wish you all an amazing day :)
Oh that is a beauty :love:

Best of luck Bombadil
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

tcc_thunderbird.jpg
Epiphone Thunderbird

tcc_telecaster.jpg
Fender Telecaster

tcc_schecter.jpg
Schecter Tempest Extreme

tcc_prs.jpg
Paul Reed Smith SE Standard

tcc_lag.jpg
LAG Tramontane

tcc_ibanez.jpg
Ibanez V280

All of these were mostly picked up second hand at bargain prices. The most expensive was the PRS ... bought earlier this year for £150. Cheapest was the LAG @ £45. I seem to have the habit of being in the right place at the right time. The Telecaster was a gift :hug:

I also used to own an Ibanez LP Jr and a Tokai "Breezysound" Telecaster in pink paisley, both of which I regret selling, but needed cash at the time. :dog:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:00 pm

All of these were mostly picked up second hand at bargain prices. The most expensive was the PRS ... bought earlier this year for £150. Cheapest was the LAG @ £45. I seem to have the habit of being in the right place at the right time. The Telecaster was a gift :hug:
Taint bad Dad not one bit.
Thanks for sharing

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:00 pm I used to own an Ibanez LP Jr and a Tokai "Breezysound" Telecaster in pink paisley, both of which I regret selling, but needed cash at the time. :dog:
i found some photos of them ...

tcc_ibanez_melody_maker_1987.jpg
it's actually a Melody Maker not a LP Junior ... long time ago.

tcc_tokai_telecaster.jpg
I really miss this one. It had a stacked Di Marzio humbucker at the bridge :love:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warmoth hardtail strat with 2 EMG Humbuckers and homemade stratoblaster replica, Daion Power Mark XX With Duncans, Artec QDD2 pre-amp and Artec BCU active tone control, Jackson Kelly with Duncan MT Black outs , ESP MG-350FR with EMGs, 18v and an EMG PA-2 pre-amp, ESP MH-750 with EMGs and PA-2 pre-amp (not pictured), Ibanez RG 1550 Prestige, Ovation CS257 acoustic, Warmoth Z-body custom built baritone with two Seymour Duncan P-rails, 1 Seymour Duncan mini JB wired series/split/parallel also equipped with an Artec QDD2 pre-amp.

Also not pictured is the ibby Asher bought me (cheapy) I put duncans in...I play it a lot

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Yeah, baby.

Thanks for sharing those guys.

Hink I see you are still proudly displaying the Daion How long have you had that now?

I picked up a 1967 Epiphone Cortez FT45 over the fall and rebuilt it...it was in terrible shape when I got it, completely dried out and I had to teach myself how to mill a bridge plate and get the intonation correct.

Huge split at the edge of the pickguard that needed 2 weeks of humidification to correct...but after all was said and done it is now my favorite recording acoustic (I have Taylor/Martin/Guild and other solid tops)...

Its like a Gibson B25...smaller body so you don't get all that rumble in the recording...tone for days...

Online auction...so it was a crap shoot...$800 but well worth it.

(This is my new account after losing the login from 10 years ago so no pics yet)

tapper mike wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:09 pm Yeah, baby.

Thanks for sharing those guys.

Hink I see you are still proudly displaying the Daion How long have you had that now?
almost 14 years (I think i was 2/07)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Guitars”