Help to decide! XLN XO VS. Battery 4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Both are on sale on Black Friday, XO is only cheaper by 10€....

They do completely different things. Personally I would just go get Geist2 - also on sale currently. It's superior to battery in terms of drum layering, automation and fx and has a vastly superior sequencer compared to XO plus a ton more. The only thing you won't have is the "cloud/AI" sample search algorithm so there is still an argument to be made for XO. Battery has neither the search feature, nor a sequencer. Atlas might be an alternative to XO - also currently on sale and about half the price.

I have Geist2, XO and Battery 4.

I use Geist2 constantly, I search my drum sampels with XO and I use Battery never.
Last edited by gondii on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

+1 for Geist

XO is around 52 € @ ADSR Sounds, Battery 4 50€ @NI, Geist2 50€ @FXPansion.

GO GET'EM ALL :D

EDIT: Battery is 100€... I'm using it a lot, but it's twice the price of the others currently... so...

- Mario

Geist 2 and XO are €89 now, Buttery is €100....
I demoed Geist1, I felt is not my cup of tea...Seems a kind of DAW in the DAW, I don’t like that, I like to get more essential tool, and do the rest In the Pro Tools, but maybe the new version would be different.....I don’t like to collect several plugins of a same type if not necessarily....
Last edited by barczabass on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XO...You won't be disappointed.

-e.B
-- Insert profound words here --

Actually mabian was right. All XLN products are dirt cheap at ADSRSounds right now and XO cost something around $60. Like 70% off... lowest price ever.

As far as Geist2 being like a DAW - I suppose you can use it like that, but you certainly don't have to. I find it super fast and efficient. Drop samples, layer sounds, create sequence, add modulation, export. Done. Super fast. But you can go very deep.

XO is very lightweight. For a lot of songs, I literally load an entire instance per piece of kit. So I have an XO for kick, one for snare, etc. On my computer, even with XO playing a full beat with a kit consisting of the full 8 pieces in one instance of XO, it only uses 0.15% of my CPU. So you can totally do this on pretty much any modern computer.

The sound space thing seems gimmicky, but its actually very powerful and brings a lot of utility. I say you should definitely go for XO at that price point.

Don't forget Atlas. It's on sale for 49 bucks. https://www.algonaut.tech/
More BPM please

gondii wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:10 am Actually mabian was right. All XLN products are dirt cheap at ADSRSounds right now and XO cost something around $60. Like 70% off... lowest price ever.

As far as Geist2 being like a DAW - I suppose you can use it like that, but you certainly don't have to. I find it super fast and efficient. Drop samples, layer sounds, create sequence, add modulation, export. Done. Super fast. But you can go very deep.
I see XLN for 90$ in ADSR, maybe it's the lite version which you are referring to ?

+1 for Atlas. Being able to push a button and get a random kit from all of my samples has been fun and productive. $50 is a good deal for it.

Pretty flexible plugin too, you can route MIDI in from a drum rack and then drag and drop samples back into the drum rack slots as you build your kit. Or you could just leave the drum rack triggering Atlas, or not even use a drum rack at all and just use clips on the Atlas track.

XO stores all samples in one big "map". From what I understand you can filter out directories but it's not as nice as Atlas. In Atlas you can create as many maps as you want with whatever list of sample directories per map. Then you can switch between the different maps. So you can make a map of only sample pack drums or only vocal hits (or a map of your whole HD) and then use whichever map you need.

A while back the Atlas dev was talking about adding a pattern sequencer and a few other things. Not sure where that landed but it's still a very usable plugin as-is (for me at least).

Just picked up XO so I'm not sure how it compares on all of those things but based on demos I've watched it seems to be a slightly different workflow. Where Atlas will pick a random unrelated kick each time it looks like you can tell XO to find similar kicks, which may be very useful. Either way it's great to see these new tools coming out to manage huge sample libraries.

Battery is cool btw (I've got that one too) but it's a slightly different focus than these kinds of plugins. Battery has lots of curated kits to choose from and advanced sampler stuff like layering, round robins etc. It's not going to help you find forgotten old dusty samples but it will put nice kits ready to use in front of you and has a good workflow.

Ultimately you'll need to figure out what problem you're solving and your answer should be clearer (do you want lots of pre-made kits, do you need to manage 1000's of samples, etc).

Now off to learn a bit more about Geist2...

Did you consider Reason intro (on sale around 60 €) you got Kong drum designer, Redrum, Rytmik drum, Dr Octo rex, Nnxt, plus more stuff
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

nirm123 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:32 am I see XLN for 90$ in ADSR, maybe it's the lite version which you are referring to ?
nah, they messed up and fixed it :)
Last edited by gondii on Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

89USD @ Jrrshop, 10% discount with the code forum, in euro about 67
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

gondii wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:44 am
nirm123 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:32 am I see XLN for 90$ in ADSR, maybe it's the lite version which you are referring to ?
nah, they messed up and fixed it :)
Yes, in the meanwhile I got XO (full) though :)
Anyway, now all are more or less around 90/100 €.
Battery is quite cool for me but doesn't have good loop slicing workflow (and compared to Geist2 less FX power), XO I don't know but I got it because it seems quite good, Geist2 is the most complete in my opinion but the GUI has always been a bit of a let down for me no matter the skin (I much preferred Geist 1 GUI though not resizable).

It all depends on your workflow and your preferences...

- Mario

Return to “Instruments”