Toybox release Nano Pack CE - FREE!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
David@TOYBOX
KVRist
205 posts since 15 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:21 am

Toybox is excited to announce the release of the Nano Pack CE (Community Edition), the latest in our expanding range of virtual modular blocks for Reaktor.

The pack is a selection of blocks from the upcoming Nano Pack (to be announced), a massive library of ultra high-quality, low CPU blocks for modern sound design.

Highlights of the pack include:
  • A selection of blocks from the upcoming Nano Pack (the full pack has 500+ blocks)
  • High quality, low CPU blocks in a small format, can be combined with Reaktor blocks from other packs
  • Infinite Linear Oversampling (ILO) used for waveshapers, samplers, wavetables and oscillators (ILO is a DSP technique that greatly reduces aliasing distortion for an extremely clean / analog sound)
  • Useful utility blocks for basic functions, scopes, MIDI, input, output etc.
  • 15 high quality effects
  • Flexible audio-rate modulations, every control has it’s own modulation input
  • A suite of versatile sequencer blocks that can be combined for creative sequencing and routing of sounds
  • Each block has a bank of 8 editable snapshots that can be sequenced using modulation
  • A set of blocks for use with the Tidal Cycles live coding environment
Experiment and get creative!

Download the Nano Pack CE for FREE here -->

toyboxaudio.com

We are currently running a Black Friday sale: 1/3rd off all packs and bundles!

Just enter BLACKFRIDAY at the checkout to get the discount!! :)

Paree
KVRist
340 posts since 21 Jun, 2015 from India

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:49 am

Do these work with reaktor player?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber
Waveform 11, Synth1, Zebralette, TAL Noisemaker, Helm, Firebird (Legacy) and Surge.

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
4048 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:58 am

Looks decent, but I'm waiting for the full version ;)
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

.jon
KVRAF
5680 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:55 am

Thank you! The narrow format is super useful!

CinningBao
KVRAF
1952 posts since 15 Apr, 2004 from Capital City, UK

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:52 am

Paree wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:49 am
While we await confirmation from David, I can quite comfortably say that yes, they should all work in Reaktor Player. Download and try them out!

David@TOYBOX
KVRist

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:11 am

Paree wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:49 am
The blocks in the Community Edition are 'User Blocks', they will work in the full version of Reaktor but they will only load in the 'Player' version of Reaktor in 'demo mode'. In 'demo mode' they will be fully functioning but you can only use them for 30 minutes at a time.

The full version of the Nano Pack (coming soon) will need to be installed via Native Access and so will work fully in both Reaktor and Reaktor Player.

Edrec
KVRer
26 posts since 18 Apr, 2019

Post Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:46 am

The position effects block for the sequencers is a lot of fun!

fold4
KVRist
83 posts since 2 Jan, 2019 from London, England

Post Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks for this.

I can't load the racks in Reaktor. When I do I get a whole bunch of "Expected at /Users/davidleonalexander/Documents/ ..." Looks to me like they're using absolute paths and not relative to where the racks are located. I'd expect the path to be "../Nano Pack CE/ ..."

I have installed them by copying the entire folder containing both the blocks and racks subfolders. The instructions seemed to be saying just copy the blocks folder but I wanted the racks as well. I am new to modular and expected them to be good learning resources since they're prebuilt devices I can modify.

Should I forget about the racks and only copy the blocks folder or is this a bug that can be fixed?

Racks for block collections installed through Native Access work. It's the ones like this Nano Pack (and the Toybox User Blocks collection) that don't install that way and are manually copied into my Reaktor user blocks folder that can't load the racks.

ThomasHelzle
KVRAF
5615 posts since 9 Dec, 2008 from Berlin

Post Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:54 pm

Same here - I just gave up on it, like pretty much every time I try to use Reaktor Blocks. What a clumsy, hacked together pile of whaledung Reaktor has become.
I'll take VCV over this every day...
Sorry, this isn't a rant about Toybox, they do great work, but Reaktor and NI make me more and more angry the further they degrade over the last couple of years.
What one would expect is, that Reaktor would search through the Blocks folder if something is amiss, and ONLY THEN ask me where to look further... And a visual browser, and a GOOD search... and...
Unbelievable how such big companies always become absurd clumsy behemoths that can't see their own feet anymore and don't even notice what they trample to death... :dog:
Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh.

Sorry :oops: But had to be said...
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream|Thomas Helzle 8) Twitter

fold4
KVRist

Post Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:08 pm

Blocks in general (these ones included) seem to work great and are a massive improvement over having to patch things together the old way. And racks in block collections installed through Native Access work fine.

But I don't think this is the place to discuss any problems Reaktor has with its browser. Let's try to keep it focused on Toybox.

David@TOYBOX
KVRist

Post Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:00 am

I can't load the racks in Reaktor. When I do I get a whole bunch of "Expected at /Users/davidleonalexander/Documents/ ..." Looks to me like they're using absolute paths and not relative to where the racks are located. I'd expect the path to be "../Nano Pack CE/ ..."

I have installed them by copying the entire folder containing both the blocks and racks subfolders. The instructions seemed to be saying just copy the blocks folder but I wanted the racks as well. I am new to modular and expected them to be good learning resources since they're prebuilt devices I can modify.

Should I forget about the racks and only copy the blocks folder or is this a bug that can be fixed?
Yes, you should just copy the folder containing the blocks into Reaktor's 'user blocks' folder, the folder you need to copy is called: "Nano Pack CE". If you put the entire folder, including the Racks in there you will get that error when you try to load the racks.

The path to the user blocks folder is set in Reaktor's preferences, but it's usually this on a Mac:

~/Documents/Native Instruments/Reaktor 6/Blocks

And on a PC it might be here:

C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Reaktor 6\Blocks

You will need to put the other files somewhere else on your drive.

If Reaktor isn't able to find the blocks in the expected locations, when loading a rack, you can use the dialog it shows you to locate them. Once you start locating blocks it will search the same folder for other blocks contained in the rack, so it doesn't take as long as you would think to find them all. Then just resave the Rack once it's loaded.

There are instructions in the "How To Install" file.

Email me via the toybox website and I can try to help if you have any more issues getting these installed.

David@TOYBOX
KVRist

Post Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:08 am

Here's a handy 'cheat sheet' for the Nano Pack CE and upcoming Nano Pack:

fold4
KVRist

Post Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:08 am

David@TOYBOX wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:00 am
Yes, you should just copy the folder containing the blocks into Reaktor's 'user blocks' folder, the folder you need to copy is called: "Nano Pack CE". If you put the entire folder, including the Racks in there you will get that error when you try to load the racks.
Thanks.

I've copied the folders to the root of the Blocks folder, then in the Blocks folder created a Racks subfolder and copied the racks into there. For anyone else reading, this is the folder structure I used (note I renamed the racks subfolders to match the name of the pack; Mac paths but you can work it out for Windows; change the root of the path if you've placed your Reaktor folder elsewhere):

~/Documents/Native Instruments/Reaktor 6/Blocks/Nano Pack CE
~/Documents/Native Instruments/Reaktor 6/Blocks/Racks/Nano Pack CE (copy the contents of the Nano Pack "Racks" folder here.)

Now in either the Player or Library tab I can open both blocks and racks by navigating to them and everything loads correctly.

Alternately you could probably copy the Nano Pack "Racks" folder to "~/Documents/Native Instruments/Reaktor 6/Blocks/Nano Pack CE/Racks" and that should also work. The important part is the the blocks go in that absolute path structure.

It's a pity Native Instruments doesn't make this easier so the racks and blocks can be grouped they way they are with Native Access installed packs, but overall I'm okay with it. And it's simpler than the "relocate all files and resave the rack" option.

-------------------------

The Nano pack also includes a "Files" folder containing something called TidalCycles, which has a PureData subfolder and what look some additional racks as examples. What are these? I assume we need PureData installed to use them?
Last edited by fold4 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

David@TOYBOX
KVRist

Post Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:16 am

fold4 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:08 am
The Nano pack also includes a "Files" folder containing something called TidalCycles, which has a PureData subfolder and what look some additional racks as examples. What are these? I assume we need PureData installed to use them?
Yes, there's a set of blocks in the pack to use with Tidal Cycles:

https://tidalcycles.org

The Pure Data patch is used to send OSC messages from Reaktor back to Tidal Cycles, so you can modify patterns in Tidal Cycles from a rack as well as have Tidal Cycles control sounds in Reaktor.

I'll do a tutorial about this soon.

Q9000
KVRer
25 posts since 28 Nov, 2020

Post Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:45 am

@Toybox: my bad that you stick with NI

Now the "personal" stuff:
I don't own Reaktor. This seems to not run fully in Reaktor Player, and I am saturated with modular synths such as
* Tassman 4
* KarmaFX 1
* Cherry Voltage Modular 2 nucleus
and free ones:
* VeeSeeVSTRack
and others.

I won't ever give NI any money, because other (modular) products from other companies seem to be way more powerful for the same pricetag.

Return to “Instruments”