CHOW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some random thoughts about ChowMatrix:

-Pitch shifters on the delay lines could be extra fun.

-Having extra controls on the nodes could make it faster to work with, e.g. scrollwheel to set the gain, ctrl + scrollwheel to set the feedback, some key modifier + mouse to set the cutoffs, and distortion could be nice too. Maybe configurable bindings on the future, but starting with fixed to test. I'm not meaning this exact implementation or keybindings, but you get the idea: there is a lot of potential for more control through the node diagram.

-When there are more delays than screen estate, the scrollbar that appears is too small, not a problem for me though, as I have a big screen. I solved it by resizing.

-A key modifier to lock the delay time when moving the panning could be useful too.

I can't get ChowMatrix to compile on Sierra here. I'm hoping it's an easy "fix" as I've found in the past that it's sometimes one or two lines of code that pushes c++ library requirements up. While I'm able to compile stuff ok, I don't know my way around coding at all so I can't figure out how to rewrite this to make it work.

The offending line is here. The error I get is: "cannot refer to class template 'Line' without a template argument list". The 'Line' template is declared here.

I can build it fine on Mojave but the resulting binaries won't run on my main (Sierra) machine due to a missing symbol.
Image Image Image Image

I'm no great C++ expert but doesn't there need to be a type for the template e.g. Line<int> or whatever?

ChowMatrix, woa! Looks like my kind of thing. Massive thanks to you Jatin!

resynthesis wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:58 am I'm no great C++ expert but doesn't there need to be a type for the template e.g. Line<int> or whatever?
You might be one. Changing Line to Line<int> fixed it :)
Image Image Image Image

Thanks all!
crickey13 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:43 am Thank you, Jatin. Is it possible to create chorus-type effect with the delay plugin? I don't see any modulation settings in these screenshots... I hope you will consider adding it at some point, as I love your take on phaser. :)
Yes, currently "Insanity" is the only way to add any sort of modulation. I'm thinking of adding more fine-grained modulation later on, but I'm still trying to figure out how that might work.
rafa1981 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:32 pm ChowMatrix reminds me of Saike's JSFX Reflectosaurus
https://github.com/JoepVanlier/JSFX

I think I found a bug. When resizing some nodes get out of screen. Tested on Reaper win64 vst3 version. Basically set up a patch with nodes at the extremes at default screen size and then start resizing. The nodes disappear out of screen boundaries.
I don't use Reaper much, but from the video demos I've seen of Reflectosaurus, there does seem to be some similar inspiration there! You're correct that delay nodes can currently be moved beyond the bounds of the Graph View. I allowed this since I don't want users to be limited by their screen size, but it does make things a bit confusing. Maybe in the future I could implement the Graph View so that you can zoom in/out or scroll around.
rafa1981 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:50 pm -Having extra controls on the nodes could make it faster to work with, e.g. scrollwheel to set the gain, ctrl + scrollwheel to set the feedback, some key modifier + mouse to set the cutoffs, and distortion could be nice too. Maybe configurable bindings on the future, but starting with fixed to test. I'm not meaning this exact implementation or keybindings, but you get the idea: there is a lot of potential for more control through the node diagram.
I actually had this in a previous version of the plugin, and found it terribly confusing. Maybe I'll try to bring it back in a more straightforward way.
sprnva wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:12 pm
resynthesis wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:58 am I'm no great C++ expert but doesn't there need to be a type for the template e.g. Line<int> or whatever?
Ah, most likely an issue with XCode versions: I recently upgraded to XCode 12.0, but I remember running into this issue with earlier versions.

chowdsp wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:16 pm Ah, most likely an issue with XCode versions: I recently upgraded to XCode 12.0, but I remember running into this issue with earlier versions.
That's probably it. Xcode 9.2 is the end of the line for Sierra.

Thankfully it was an easy fix as the prebuilt binaries you posted to Github require Catalina.
Image Image Image Image

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

ChowMatrix looks intriguing. Unfortunately, the current Mac version on Github doesn't work on Mojave. Apparently it needs Catalina…
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:37 pm ChowMatrix looks intriguing. Unfortunately, the current Mac version on Github doesn't work on Mojave. Apparently it needs Catalina…
Here's my Sierra build.
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:02 pm
Spitfire31 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:37 pm ChowMatrix looks intriguing. Unfortunately, the current Mac version on Github doesn't work on Mojave. Apparently it needs Catalina…
Here's my Sierra build.
Thank you very much! Great fun to play with Insanity… :ud:

sprnva wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:02 pm Here's my Sierra build.
Would you mind trying out this build as well? If I did everything correctly, it should work on Sierra and later. Apologies for not being a particularly well-adjusted Mac developer. Big thanks for sharing your builds in the meantime!

chowdsp wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:50 pm Would you mind trying out this build as well? If I did everything correctly, it should work on Sierra and later. Apologies for not being a particularly well-adjusted Mac developer. Big thanks for sharing your builds in the meantime!
Thanks! That one works fine here.
Image Image Image Image

Thank you – works fine on my Mojave axe, too.

sprnva wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:12 pm
Belatedly :tu:

Return to “Effects”