How good are LVC Audio plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is a sale at the moment (until end of december?), so I'm starting the next round of "How good is..."
(As always, absolutely independent, no money, goodies or beer involved.)

What are your experiences with LVC Audio plugins - which plugins do you like, how do you use them, which plugins do you not like :?:

https://lvcaudio.com/plugins

LVC Audio are good.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Very good!

Still hoping people might tell a bit more than "good" and "very good"... 😄

the GUI is a bit "early 2000's SynthEdit" kinda vibe and they're a bit clunky to use for some reason, so i could never gel with them, but there's nothing wrong with them sound wise, they're excellent. i wish they developed T-Chain concept further, it seems abandoned now.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

The new GUI is quite improved, actually:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=556490

Their flagship EQ Toned-MAX is my main EQ.

That's saying something. It's benching all the Izotope stuff, all the Waves stuff, my beloved ToneBoosters stuff. Etc. Basically, the only EQ I don't own that's not being benched by this is Fabfilter. And the reason I don't own FF is because I feel well covered with everything else including this LVC EQ. Also, I believe for pure day-to-day track and mastering use this would win a contest against FF because of the analog modeling. FF wins in depth of features for special needs.

So I guess what I'm saying is, having compared it to just about everything else, I consider this to be thereabouts the best daily driver visual EQ there is, certainly the best at this $25 price tag.

It's not perfect. I've experienced some GUI glitches (nothing show-stopping). It doesn't have an external sidechain to use with the dynamic part (although LVC may be working on this). I'd also appreciate a piano roll.

But see, it's so much faster to tell you what I think it's missing, instead of writing out the 7 pages of great stuff it has.

EDIT: I just realized there's a new version, and it now has external side chain. So scratch that from my list of criticisms.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:03 pm Also their Toned-Max EQ used to suffer from unpleasant crackles when doing quick lowpass sweeps. Just tried the version 3 demo and it's still doing it.
What's your DAW? And do you have the analog modeling turned on?
I haven't experienced any crackles, but I did have some GUI issues on occasion. Since there's a new version that had some GUI improvements, I'd have to test some more before confirming I'm still seeing GUI problems.

Also LVC is a responsive developer. I encourage everyone to report any bugs to LVC so they can be fixed.

Those GUI issues are there; yet also manageable imo. Most problems happen when trying to resize or in that matter decreasing the Window. I was also able to recreate some crackles, actually even freeze the plugin within my DAW; yet this was by extreme settings and movements that I would never really do while just mixing etc. - I would still say they are useful & good sounding tools. The developer indeed has an ear for sonor digital saturation and is also pretty responsive, regarding new features, bug - reports and such.

I own multiple LVC products. What I like about the developer: he maintains and improves his products instead of just releasing and then abandoning them. This is particularly true for Toned-Max, Limited-Z and Clipped-Max.

Toned-Max is really good in terms of sound. The previous versions suffered a bit from an ambitious, but ultimately less than optimal UI and slight lags, but the latest version seemingly addresses some of these shortcomings. Also the CPU consumption can be quite significant with the oversampling modes turned on. Hence its more usable for mastering than as a track EQ on many individual channels. Maybe an automatic offline render at highest quality setting while keeping a low realtime CPU consumption would help.

LImited-Z is actually a good limiter. You need to turn on the oversampling and ISP though. Its also a bit unorthodox, you have to drive the signal into the limiting treshold and depending on the chosen limiting style the dynamic action differs quite drastically. It could also benefit from a UI overhaul, which I believe was planned at some point.

Overall they offer great bang for the buck, especially at the current discounts. Definitely underrated, even when there are a few imperfections I hope the developer keeps improving them. So far all the major version updates have been free for existing customers, which is another reason to join LVC gang.

jochicago wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:15 pm ... I'd also appreciate a piano roll.
A bit OT, but I'd be really interested for what one would use the piano roll on an EQ. My go-to TB_EQ4 also has that feature, but I've yet to find a use case for it (tbh, I haven't really seriously looked for one, I'm using more and more non-graphical EQs anyway)

El°HYM wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:21 am The developer indeed has an ear for sonor digital saturation
How good sounding are the saturation models of LVC HotPhuzz compared with similar plugins, for example SDDR by Klanghelm or HorNet saturation plugins or TB Reelbus :?:

fese wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:54 pm
jochicago wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:15 pm ... I'd also appreciate a piano roll.
A bit OT, but I'd be really interested for what one would use the piano roll on an EQ. My go-to TB_EQ4 also has that feature, but I've yet to find a use case for it (tbh, I haven't really seriously looked for one, I'm using more and more non-graphical EQs anyway)
It's nice for problem solving, just to get a quick sense for what's happening in the track when it comes to musical notes. Can be helpful in dealing with resonances, and/or tracking things that seem to happen only on certain notes.

Personally, I like a sense for where I'm at in the sound spectrum. EQs always show the chart in frequencies, but as a piano player I have another different sound map in my head for the sound range of the 88 keys. Sometimes it's faster in my head to see a certain bass note and think I know what that sounds like, and I know it's around the lowest register in a bass guitar, and I know that say NS10 monitors can't render that note.

Now, if you are watching what the bass player is doing, what notes are part of the main bass riff, it might shed some clarity on how you want to treat the drum kick around it. Then if you switch over to the drum kick track, the piano roll acts as a cue to remember where the bass fundamentals are going to be. That sorta thing.

Piano roll at effect plugins I don't need but CPU load is an important factor as usually I don't buy plugins only for the master bus or mastering, I want to use them on single tracks, too.

Return to “Effects”