Architect as hw synth editor (sysex)

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use architect a lot for sending midi cc's to external synths ( nord modular , interga etccc) , but what about sysex ?
I recently purchased a yamaha tg 77 and wan't to control it from architect , handling all the sysex (will take a lot of time to learn all the stuff :cry:
Is it possible to achieve this in architect , like the ctrl.org software ?
https://ctrlr.org/yamaha-sy-tg77-editor/
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Yes, you can generate sysex from Architect. How tricky it will be in your situation depends mainly on the sysex format that the Yamaha TG needs.

If you can find the sysex specification for that particular synth, I'm happy to take a look and give you some pointers.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Will be interested to see anything you do with this, I made a simple controller for one of my synths which just sends CC's but it's great in that it allows me to save settings for that synth with a project within Architect.

I've been thinking about making a controller for my Quadraverb which would need sysex but it's a little too much for me to figure out in Architect so far (got more basic stuff I need to get the hang of)

Petajaja wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:50 am I've been thinking about making a controller for my Quadraverb which would need sysex
I'm pretty sure I have a Quadraverb somewhere in my storage: if so, I'll try to get it out over Christmas and scope what would be needed to talk sysex with it.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:20 am
Petajaja wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:50 am I've been thinking about making a controller for my Quadraverb which would need sysex
I'm pretty sure I have a Quadraverb somewhere in my storage: if so, I'll try to get it out over Christmas and scope what would be needed to talk sysex with it.
Hey Colin, that's a nice coincidence! and thanks for that, I really appreciate it! I've not had much luck in finding controllers for it online so it'd be really great to make one for it in Architect, going to have to do this for all gear that doesn't have an editor eventually as it's really nice to have inside of Architect.

Gentleclockdivider, just saw over on GS that you have a Yamaha A4000? I've got an A5000, this too would be a really interesting one to work out some sysex stuff for, I'd especially be interested in making an Architect editor for the effects section.

Funny that you mention the Yamaha a-series
I just got it out of the closet and have a hard drive failure :lol:
Now I just use it as an effects processor , the effects are still fantastic :tu:
There was an a series sampler editor called blue zone or b-zone , not sure if it's still available .
http://axk.neoprimitive.net/
Maybe you can mail the creator ( peter govaerts ) to get hold of it , it was freeware back then
Eyeball exchanging

I'm a long time owner of Yamaha TG-77 (since when it came out...yep i'm an old 47 years fart :hihi: ).
I used to send sys-ex to that beast from the Atari ST Mega2/ Notator Logic combo.
Well, TG77 Sys-ex specs are very complex and to give you an idea is possible to program a custom FM algorithm just with Sys-Ex (it's a byte by byte nightmare btw).
Given that Architect is more a general purpose modular MIDI thing it's surely possible to send Sys-Ex to TG77...but i guess is not the right tool do make an editor/librarian for such a complex beast as a TG77.
Ctrlr is a good alternative but that panel is far from being a complete editor/librarian. XY Manager/ SY Manager are very very good but non usable in DAW as VST2/VST3/AU etc.. plugins.
Ctrlr development seems kind of slow and i did started modifing that panel you linked here...but i have not enough spare time because despite the pandemic thing my musical work at home is still too much :-(

Oh..and btw one of the first thing i did after purchasing Architect was to send using SysEx some slider value to FM operator level to my TG77...working great so far. I guess that is doable for some parameters at once before TG77's edit buffer explode :-D

lalo wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:38 pm I'm a long time owner of Yamaha TG-77 (since when it came out...yep i'm an old 47 years old fart :hihi: ).
I used to send sys-ex to that beast from the Atari ST Mega2/ Notator Logic combo.
Well, TG77 Sys-ex specs are very complex and to give you an idea is possible to program a custom FM algorithm just with Sys-Ex (it's a byte by byte nightmare btw).
Given that Architect is more a general purpose modular MIDI thing it's surely possible to send Sys-Ex to TG77...but i guess is not the right tool do make an editor/librarian for such a complex beast as a TG77.
Ctrlr is a good alternative but that panel is far from being a complete editor/librarian. XY Manager/ SY Manager are very very good but non usable in DAW as VST2/VST3/AU etc.. plugins.
Ctrlr development seems kind of slow and i did started modifing that panel you linked here...but i have not enough spare time because despite the pandemic thing my musical work at home is still too much :-(

Oh..and btw one of the first thing i did after purchasing Architect was to send using SysEx some slider value to FM operator level to my TG77...working great so far. I guess that is doable for some parameters at once before TG77's edit buffer explode :-D

Hey thanks for the reply .
I love my tg77 but sadly the display is getting verry dim ,guess I will just have to buy a new display .
Have you tried the tg77 editor from coffeeshopped ( ipad only ) ?
I tried the sy manager but is freezes my roland integra( just passing the sysex data throuh , which functions as an audio/midi interface .
I recently found out something about the tg 77 that literally blew my mind .
When structure is afm+awm ,awm waveforms can be chosen as modulators , so far so good .
But when uou then go into the awm section , you can set awm=afm !!!
This means that the complete output of the afm structure itself can be used as modulator in that afm structure for serious feedback .
One of the greatest synths ever made ( together with the nord modular )
Eyeball exchanging

No i didn't try the iPad app (mine is a very old iPad2 and i plan to get a more "open2 Android tablet for my TouchOSC/Lemur stuff). With my iConnectivity mio10 SYManager and XYManager works good..i just miss the VST integration in the DAW but i can put some quick sliders in Architect to make some automation of few parameters. I could plan to do a JUCE based Editor but is a far too big project for my time :-( Any complete implementation of this beast which TG77 actually is would need a lot of time with any coding or "meta-coding" framework.

Return to “Loomer”