Favorite FREE channel strip plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:40 am Do you know if there is a change log? At Beat Magazin they don't seem to be aware of newer versions than 1.0.2.
Sorry. I don't know.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:42 pm
Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:40 am Do you know if there is a change log? At Beat Magazin they don't seem to be aware of newer versions than 1.0.2.
Sorry. I don't know.
Just checked. No change log as far as I can see. I am just getting the demo from DDMF to do a comparison, but I think this is something to be sorted out with Beat / Falkemedia.

EDIT: Demo from DDMF is 1.0.6.

Thanks guys. I let Beat Magazin know about this and I hope they will contact DDMF about this. Giving away an old version with possible bugs isn't the best advertisement for a company like DDMF, so hopefully they will provide Beat Magazin with the latest version.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:46 pm Thanks guys. I let Beat Magazin know about this and I hope they will contact DDMF about this. Giving away an old version with possible bugs isn't the best advertisement for a company like DDMF, so hopefully they will provide Beat Magazin with the latest version.
Many thanks you do this. I am looking forward to reading here on KVR what the Beat people have to say. In the past, there were other matters, and they were not a good example of customer friendlyness. (In the end, this whole freebie thing only seems to survive because of our mail addresses being used for marketing. To be fair, I have not had any otherwoldly bad experience with them in the past.)

How are the channel strips included in Studio One? I found a thread in gearslutz claiming that they were snake oil because they were advertised as circuit modeling when in fact they’re not. Fat Channel XT, I mean.

The non-standard Fat Channel XT modules are pretty good, I would say. Circuit modelling? What's the exact definition of that? And who knows exactly whether XT modules are circuit models according to this hypothetical definition. And who gives a shit anyway?
Fact? Most people have a widely inaccurate concept of what that term is supposed to mean... :shrug:

If you want to spend your whole day watching peiople writing crap, a forum is a pretty good place to be.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:58 pm If you want to spend your whole day watching peiople writing crap, a forum is a pretty good place to be.
Clearly.

What is a channel strip? eq and compression? eq and compression and gate? and saturation? There are very few good free plugins that combine more than one of those. Loaded is nice, but it's very limited and clunky. Acustica Celise is free at the moment, it has really nice analog EQ and saturation, but the compressor isn't flexible enough for different kinds of tracks. Other ones I've tried (some mentioned in this thread) aren't any better than your DAW's stock plugins (more likely worse). I suggest you just find individual plugins that you like for each task. I can give you some directions if you want.

BaronWaterpark wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:01 pm What is a channel strip?
Similar to what you find on a channel of an analog mixing console is how most would understand it.

ProChannel by Cakewalk is the best freebie, and it includes a free DAW! :hihi:

telecharge wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 pm
Similar to what you find on a channel of an analog mixing console is how most would understand it.

Well, most analog mixing consoles only have EQ on every channel. But then you have the kind of "all in one" plugin channel strips, so it's really not a clear definition.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:52 pm How are the channel strips included in Studio One? I found a thread in gearslutz claiming that they were snake oil because they were advertised as circuit modeling when in fact they’re not. Fat Channel XT, I mean.
Very low CPU. Presonus seemed to have focused on making the DSP super lightweight so it would play nice built into their hardware mixers. From that perspective, I guess you could say their Fat Channel XT stuff is up there in terms of quality for CPU. However, IMO the sound is not going to win if compared against the plugins that go all-out on CPU, but it's not like they sound bad either (at least the stuff I tested).

For live applications these are killer because you can use models that behave very close to the analog stuff without latency and without eating up resources. So, also great for tracking.

New channel9 from airwindows ...
viewtopic.php?p=8006734

^with different models included aswell. seems interesting
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:46 pm Thanks guys. I let Beat Magazin know about this and I hope they will contact DDMF about this. Giving away an old version with possible bugs isn't the best advertisement for a company like DDMF, so hopefully they will provide Beat Magazin with the latest version.
Good point, but Computer Music does this all the time. The plug-ins they provide are usually v1.0, and even if the developer issues an update for the CM version (which is extremely rare), CM even more rarely includes it in their latest "bundle" of plug-ins.

Case in point: Cableguys is one of the few developers who updates the CM versions of their plug-ins. Yet, even with the .ZIP bundle CM gave away near the end of last year, they still hadn't included an update from Cableguys that was over 4 years old!

One good thing about Beat Magazine's plug-ins is that they're not usually limited -- or at least, not as limited as the ones CM provides. Compare the Dune CM and Dune Beat versions to see what I mean.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

BaronWaterpark wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:33 pm
telecharge wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 pm

Well, most analog mixing consoles only have EQ on every channel.
That's not necessarily correct when it comes to professional (usually modular) recording consoles - plus they have insert points.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”