bit of a rant about devs, and international sales....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i know...this has been talked about before, but i just ran into this issue again (still...in 2021) and it really annoys me, so im here talking about it again.

i live in the usa and i just attempted to purchase a plugin bundle from a seller from the eu. there is a 25% sale going on and i like the dev....so i wanted to buy it. the problem is that there is no way to remove the vat charges from the order. being in the us...i am not subject to vat charges...why am i being asked to pay it?

when i brought this up to the dev...i was told that there is a 25% sale going on...so the price is already reduced.

except thats not how it works. that coupon code is for everyone...so people in the eu are getting that discount also. i should get the non vat price AND the 25% coupon. im basically being asked to pay the dev about $50 extra dollars...that the dev is just going to pocket because they dont pay vat on us sales.

and before anyone starts in with the "but its not fair why should eu people pay more" bla bla bla....
1. thats not my problem, take it up with your legislators.
2. as im not a resident of the eu...i dont benefit from paying taxes to the eu. my vat money is literally for nothing.
3. we pay sales tax here...i am responsible for paying state taxes on purchases from outside the us....so with vat...im being asked to pay taxes TWICE.

if you eu guys want to give me some free healthcare or something...ill gladly pay vat charges....but until that time...eu sellers need to stop collecting (and pocketing) vat charges from non eu customers....

thats mad shady yo.

[/rant]
ImageImageImage

cool. feel better now? good.

vurt wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:19 pm cool. feel better now? good.
a little....you?
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:13 pm i know...this has been talked about before, but i just ran into this issue again (still...in 2021) and it really annoys me, so im here talking about it again.

i live in the usa and i just attempted to purchase a plugin bundle from a seller from the eu. there is a 25% sale going on and i like the dev....so i wanted to buy it. the problem is that there is no way to remove the vat charges from the order. being in the us...i am not subject to vat charges...why am i being asked to pay it?
Because the payment provider, or payment system used by the dev simply doesn't account for it. Doesn't help you, but, might explain it.

I'm not even sure the dev can do much about it.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:24 pm
chaosWyrM wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:13 pm i know...this has been talked about before, but i just ran into this issue again (still...in 2021) and it really annoys me, so im here talking about it again.

Because the payment provider, or payment system used by the dev simply doesn't account for it. Doesn't help you, but, might explain it.

I'm not even sure the dev can do much about it.
but they dont all do it...so obviously something can be done about it.
ImageImageImage

Yes, they use different payment providers.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:26 pm Yes, they use different payment providers.
well...there you go.

see? that was easy.
:shrug:
ImageImageImage

Yes. Do you expect the dev to change his payment provider for you now?

Sorry to be snarky, I just think that this is pretty pointless. You took it up with the dev, he said he can't do anything, and that's it really. If you want that kind of hint for life. ;)

VAT is theft... Disguised as a tax. No one in the EU like paying for it... :(

VAT is a good thing. I guess a discussion about that would rather be material for the HPC forum though...

Effectsworks wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 pm VAT is theft... Disguised as a tax. No one in the EU like paying for it... :(
hardly a disguise ...
Value Added Tax ...

experimental.crow wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 pm
Effectsworks wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 pm VAT is theft... Disguised as a tax. No one in the EU like paying for it... :(
hardly a disguise ...
Value Added Tax ...
LOL say what you see...

I've been paying it long enough and run my own business - So I know exactly what it stands for.

Yes that is annoying. If the vendor can't adjust for you, then you just have to decide with your money if you are going to support that kind of thing or not. My pet peev are vendors that use transaction providers that choose the currency for you and add on a 3-10% charge! When you flip it to the base currency (usually USD) it won't let you check out because your address is not the same as the currency selected. It comes down to having to pay that extra surchare or not buy. Sometimes I don't buy in that case. Lots of traps for young players in the plugin market especially if you trying to get the best deal...

chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:34 pm Yes. Do you expect the dev to change his payment provider for you now?

Sorry to be snarky, I just think that this is pretty pointless. You took it up with the dev, he said he can't do anything, and that's it really. If you want that kind of hint for life. ;)
youre not reading correctly.

1. i never said the dev should change "for me". im saying they shoulndt be charging vat to anyone who isnt supposed to be paying it. do you disagree with that?

2. where did i say he said he cant do anything about it?...im pretty sure it was you who came up with that idea.
ImageImageImage

chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:42 pm VAT is a good thing. I guess a discussion about that would rather be material for the HPC forum though...
vat being good or bad is irrelevant. us residents are not subject to vat charges. i dont much care if its good, bad, or whatever...the bottom line is as a non eu resident...i shouldnt ever even have to hear about it.

youre in germany yes?

how would you feel if you bought something from me...and i charged you new york sales tax on it? i imagine, since you dont live in new york...or even the us at all....it might be irksome to you.

not only am i charging you new york sales tax...but im not even giving it to new york...im just gonna keep it myself, since i dont have to charge you sales tax at all....thanks for the extra cash...sukka!
ImageImageImage

Return to “Instruments”