bit of a rant about devs, and international sales....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:00 pm If you think VAT is theft - in the mids of a global health crisis no less, where strong public healthcare has proven as one of the best ways to combat it - then there really is no point, no.
Think we've moved on from this. Back to topic if you please.

i thought VAT was the topic

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:29 am For example, surely if you went to Germany and bought a physical, boxed software product, then took it back on the plane to the US, you'd pay German VAT..So same with downloads?
Actually it is normal to have a tax return in this case:
in the airport find special office that handles this (may not exist in smaller airports)
1. should have special receipt from the seller (this one should be asked when buying)
2. should provide a proof of permanent residence outside of EU

further details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax-free_ ... pean_Union

I suppose same should be possible with digital products, but i assume level of bureaucracy can kill all the intentions :D

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:06 pm i thought VAT was the topic
Is it? Oh, in that case fire away!

Enjoy... :tu:

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:00 pm If you think VAT is theft - in the mids of a global health crisis no less, where strong public healthcare has proven as one of the best ways to combat it - then there really is no point, no.
It's not theft as such, but it is a regressive form of taxation that disproportionally affects those on lower incomes. VAT should be lower and heavier taxes levied on those with higher incomes and wealth, to make up any shortfall in revenue.
Always Read the Manual!

Er don't really know, but they take VAT for anything sold/bought here. No privileges for USicans, Saudis or whatever ☝️😉

PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:33 pm It's not theft as such, but it is a regressive form of taxation that disproportionally affects those on lower incomes. VAT should be lower and heavier taxes levied on those with higher incomes and wealth, to make up any shortfall in revenue.
This was exactly my point when I was speaking about it here in Ireland. It completely screws the lower classes... Not to mention, that the big corps get huge tax breaks over here. So much so in-fact that the EU are doing their damnedest to change it. Apple and their 14 billion they owe the tax payer (as one example).

Re. VAT. There should be some products that should be very low (or maybe even exempt). And temporary reductions on industries that are be destroyed by the pandemic. I'm talking about the small local business, etc.

Effectsworks wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:51 pm
PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:33 pm It's not theft as such, but it is a regressive form of taxation that disproportionally affects those on lower incomes. VAT should be lower and heavier taxes levied on those with higher incomes and wealth, to make up any shortfall in revenue.
This was exactly my point when I was speaking about it here in Ireland. It completely screws the lower classes... Not to mention, that the big corps get huge tax breaks over here. So much so in-fact that the EU are doing their damnedest to change it. Apple and their 14 billion they owe the tax payer (as one example).

Re. VAT. There should be some products that should be very low (or maybe even exempt). And temporary reductions on industries that are be destroyed by the pandemic. I'm talking about the small local business, etc.
tbh your original statement didn't really convey that point all that clearly.
but i agree with both of you regarding this particular matter

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:28 pm tbh your original statement didn't really convey that point all that clearly.
but i agree with both of you regarding this particular matter
Yep, my first post fell out of my mouth without much explanation. My bad...
But I clarified it a few posts later (after a snarky comment) which you probably missed. Which is easy to do, in fairness.

Glad we all agree at least!

Excuse my ignorance, but what does the "Value" in "Value Added Tax" refer to? It seems to me, it's just added on without there being any change in the actual value of the product.

revvy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:42 am US applying its rules outside its own borders? It'll never happen...
It is happened. A long time ago :lol:

Erisian wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:09 pm Excuse my ignorance, but what does the "Value" in "Value Added Tax" refer to? It seems to me, it's just added on without there being any change in the actual value of the product.
I can't remember their exact definition but that's essentially it. You pay and they collect. It does'nt add value to the products in anyway. It's about increasing their coffers.

Erisian wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:09 pm Excuse my ignorance, but what does the "Value" in "Value Added Tax" refer to? It seems to me, it's just added on without there being any change in the actual value of the product.
It taxes the value added to the resources by the company during production. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surplus_value

Thanks.

Charging VAT to US residents is a little like charging New Jersey sales tax to someone living in Germany.

Return to “Instruments”