Recreating Your Favourite Dance Tracks

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All!

How many of you have tried to recreate your favourite dance tracks and how successful were you?

I have tried a few times but been on one yesterday and today (about 4 hrs in total) and had to use Scaler 2 to analyse chords. Not that easy a chord structure to work out in this one. It's more difficult than you think sometimes. This is all analogue gear and came out in 1990. So far strings, a sax and now got to a lead / arpy bit that's kinda hard to hear what it's doing, then drums and another lead bit comes in. Sometimes I debate whether the sax is a synth sax being played or a real recorded sax. In Pacific State - 808 State it was a real sax I think. There's a reconstruction by Point Blank for that one on You Tube.

This is the track, I've got about a minute and a half through it at the moment and that's took me 4 hrs as I said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkO2JGkWcSA

What synth are the strings played on do you think? I was using Cherry Audio's DCO-106 and they sound pretty good, close and I'm gonna guess it's a 909 for the drums in the track itself. I've been using a sax patch on the Korg M1 vst that sounds pretty good too.

EDIT - Just found out this is a cover from the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t36ede0vGs

Thanks!

How can you know "it´s all analogue gear"?

The track has a quiet limited dynamic range and the "sound" of most sounds remind me of ROM-/Sampler - especially the "pizzicato" pluck (that has a complex, balanced spectrum). And the Saxophone for sure.

The Sax - the Strings - maybe JV1080/2080? They sound Roland to me, but that is maybe just because of the basspad below and that playwise.

Ensemble FX + a bathtub full of reverb on everything but drums :D

why tha hell ya wanna make dance music for?

GRUMP wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:15 pm How can you know "it´s all analogue gear"?

The track has a quiet limited dynamic range and the "sound" of most sounds remind me of ROM-/Sampler - especially the "pizzicato" pluck (that has a complex, balanced spectrum). And the Saxophone for sure.

The Sax - the Strings - maybe JV1080/2080? They sound Roland to me, but that is maybe just because of the basspad below and that playwise.

Ensemble FX + a bathtub full of reverb on everything but drums :D
I was watching a video on You Tube a couple of days back of someone playing a Roland Juno-106 and one patch he was playing instantly reminded me of the main paddy sound in this track so I'm now convinced the main pad/string sound is a Juno-106.

I know it's all analogue gear because it was made pre-computer or should I say, pre-making music with a computer all in the box. The track came out in 1990 so it was probably sequenced on an Amiga 500 or an Atari 520 ST using tracker software (early Pro Tools, Cakewalk, Cubase, OctaMED or Music X, too early for Notator Logic - came out in 93) and analogue gear.

Yeah that plucky bass sounds like it could be a Yamaha TX-16W rackmount or a TX-81Z or could it possibly be a DX7?

Like the Electric Bass patch at 5mins here on the TX81Z is very similar:-

https://youtu.be/JSVM2CQOVKc

Eclectrophonic wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:20 pm
I was watching a video on You Tube a couple of days back of someone playing a Roland Juno-106 and one patch he was playing instantly reminded me of the main paddy sound in this track so I'm now convinced the main pad/string sound is a Juno-106.

I know it's all analogue gear because it was made pre-computer or should I say, pre-making music with a computer all in the box. The track came out in 1990 so it was probably sequenced on an Amiga 500 or an Atari 520 ST using tracker software (early Pro Tools, Cakewalk, Cubase, OctaMED or Music X, too early for Notator Logic - came out in 93) and analogue gear.

Yeah that plucky bass sounds like it could be a Yamaha TX-16W rackmount or a TX-81Z or could it possibly be a DX7?

Like the Electric Bass patch at 5mins here on the TX81Z is very similar:-

https://youtu.be/JSVM2CQOVKc
The J106 is pretty stripped and the pads as simple as can be. The yould be made with just about any other synth - especially the the JV series that was full of sampled sounds from the Roland analogues.

And did you really read the history of synthesizers? People sold their analog gear in the 80s/90s and ROMplers/samplers were mostly the essential element(s) of the studios. And some of those ROMpler sounds already sounded like what I call "hyper analogue".

People frequently had the problem that they would have had to MIDIfy their pre-midi-era analogue gear. That was costly and not as simple as today. The ROMplers were plug&play, had a memory, FX and so on. The analogues had no chance somehow ;-)

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:38 pm I'm getting deja vu again.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=546239&p=7953134&h ... g#p7953134
That's not quite the same question though. 😂

Return to “Production Techniques”