New music to review (will return the favor) as of Jan. 25th! Song with jcub (the Yes member collaborator)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I put 2 songs in my music website: "The Expectation" is the song on top: Jeremy Cubert/jcub (who has collaborated with Yes singer Jon Anderson on one song, and Yes bassist/guitarist/keyboardist Billy Sherwood on a different song) came up with the Chapman Stick parts (sounds similar to an electric bass), most all of the drums (playing a Zendrum), and the main lead synth towards the end of the song. I did everything else. The next song down is "You Can 2" was done by me. Please tell me how you like the music and how it can be improved, and I will return the favor. Here is my link:

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436
Last edited by aaron aardvark on Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Hey Aaron, how's it going? Okay, let's get down to the music.

The Expectation - The bass and organ riffs on this are so cool. Where did you get those awesome background vocals from? Are they real or sampled/ They really sound great. Song itself is just so cool. Love everything about it. And for once, it isn't too short. LOL. One of my favorites of yours without a doubt. One question. Who is Jeremy Cubert?

You Can 2 - Heavier guitars and sound on this one. The guitar lead on this is awesome. You play very well. Definitely the highlight of this song. My only nitpick is I think the lead vocal was a db or 2 too loud. They almost drown out those guitars. I would have mixed them down a little lower but that's just my personal preference. Kind of funny because usually vocals are mixed down too low and you can't get all the words and they need to be turned up. I think this is the first time I ever thought vocals needed to be turned down. Otherwise, everything was great.

Okay, if you could listen to these two songs from my 80s Squared CD that would be great.

Mannequin
Modern Talking

They're both on the same page.

viewtopic.php?t=501125&start=30

Thanks Aaron.

wagtunes,
Thank you for listening and reviewing my songs! "The Expectation": female vocals are from East West Hollywood Backup Singers (you influenced me somewhat on getting that); I did some Melodyne pitch correction and pitch tweaks here and there also on those. I met Jeremy (jcub) on this very forum! You might have reviewed his music before if my memory serves me.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:55 am wagtunes,
Thank you for listening and reviewing my songs! "The Expectation": female vocals are from East West Hollywood Backup Singers (you influenced me somewhat on getting that); I did some Melodyne pitch correction and pitch tweaks here and there also on those. I met Jeremy (jcub) on this very forum! You might have reviewed his music before if my memory serves me.
Ah, so you got the backup singers. Cool. I really love 'em. Had me fooled on this one. I thought they were real. LOL.

I like it, kind of a mix of styles there, the funky touches and the horns are nice, back up singers are on point.
The part after, more of a break down (before the guitar solo), is a bit too long for me, it drops my interest, maybe if it was half the length would be better (for me). It's nice to have that type of part but it just goes too long with too little happening.
Vocals are good, nice distortion on them. Synth solo is sweet, great work overall! I like the ending, it's unexpected.
Here's my song you can check:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=559680

VernonPena,
Thank you for checking out my music and replying, I appreciate it! Will seek out your music tonight......couldn't find any music that you have posted. Leave me a link if you want me to check out your music.

DMG68,
Thank you for listening to my song and reviewing it! I appreciate it! Will check out your song tonight.

The Expectation:
Nice, tight, funky groove from the very start...nice!

The 'Alice Cooper' style lead vocal works very well above the groove.

Interesting 'drop' section with a more chilled feel...the extra vocals work, but would've definitely been better for me with the real thing...maybe they are just a little too exposed here?

Love the sound on the gtr solo - good melodic flow to it as well....would've been maybe even better if it had revved up to a big shredding finish before that funky bass riff kicked back in.

Great ending...perfect little outro!

You Can 2:
Good, driving, heavy riff!

Yeah - headphones are good with this one! Enjoyed it.

Good gtr solo, but I thought the sound was a little too similar to the rhythm gtr, maybe?

Vocals - enjoyed the performance, but felt they were a little over-processed this time?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic,
Thank you for the reviews, I appreciate it! I will now seek out your music.

Is this your latest songs Aaron aardvark?

Spring Goose,
I finished recording "The Expectation" last month; it is my latest complete song. "You Can 2" is older, but I am pretty certain I have never publicized it on any kvraudio forum before. Releasing older songs on this forum is not terribly unusual.

aaron aardvark wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 am Spring Goose,
I finished recording "The Expectation" last month; it is my latest complete song. "You Can 2" is older, but I am pretty certain I have never publicized it on any kvraudio forum before. Releasing older songs on this forum is not terribly unusual.
oh ok mate, what i meant is: I will take you up on your offer, is this the right song? I think you have answered the question. 8) ok here goes:

The Expectation
Like the open of the bass, reminded me of RATM eponymous album. Then the vocals fantastic! I love the style. I have heard similar this style before on dance music song/s. Then the backing vocals, is that gospel? It reminds me of Don't fight it, feel it by Primal Scream. I don't know why i thought gospel, there's a few songs on Primal Scream - Screamadelica which make me think gospel but i'm not really sure what i know about gospel. ;)
& The Funk (very funky). I like your song, it's a cool amalgamation of styles/genres. Then with the guitar/s lead, the song changes again. I've no complaints. It's a cool song, i like the things you have chosen. I don't record bands. My opinion is the recording sounds "live" or like a home recording. I don't really know what you intended. I'm not any expert about recording bands, but i know a bit about it (studied at college for a while. I listened to everything the tutors had to say, but i didn't complete any of the assignments). I'm gonna listen to it again (which is no problem because i enjoyed the song), because that listen was on my "grotbox" (Avantone mono speaker). I didn't even think about which speaker/s i was listening on. ;)
OK the bass sounds fine, the drums are quiet, the vocal is ok (i don't know your intention), the backing vocal/s recording sounds cleaner or more professional, the electric lead sounds great. I had thought there were 2 guitars but i can't notice that anymore, hardly notice the funk either. That's on my JBL One 104s (not the greatest, but they are enjoyable to listen to). The brass, i didn't notice the brass last listen and it sounds great. Like the synth sound to finish. I don't know whether there's something about the lead vocal recording which make the song sound like a home recording. However i don't know what lo-fi intention/s you had about the vocal, maybe you're doing it just right what you want/wanted! You're the vocalist right? I don't think there's any problem about your/the delivery of the vocal.
I don't expect you to give me this many words about my songs, this many words is just what happened. I hope at least some of the words are of some use to you.

You Can 2
This song is a bit frightening. :p
The guitars sound great. I haven't tried to count the guitars this time. I don't know much about guitar/s. The drums sound quiet, now i'm thinking that's what you want. I wouldn't usually listen to this song, it's a bit heavy for me, but i do like some of The Smashing Pumpkins and some other heavy guitar stuff, but heavy is not really my thing. I like Placebo, i have quite a few Placebo albums. I like Hole's first album. I like Silversun Pickups. There's more bands/records which haven't come immediately to mind. I'll stand by my original comment: I wouldn't usually listen to this song, it's a bit heavy for me. I don't know why your song is different than any of the other bands i mentioned (i don't know much about guitars!) but it is. The vocal is a little bit frightening too. I don't think i've heard a vocal quite like this song before. That's all i can give you, about You Can 2.

I'm just gonna upload 2 of my tech-house songs. Will be about half hour to 45 mins. Please can you review my 2 tech-house songs. Don't review my progressive house song which you'll also find 1st page (unless you want to or are compelled to!)

Spring Goose,
Thank you for reviewing my songs, I appreciate it! Yes, I would say the female background singers in "The Expectation" are singing in a gospel style. Yes, I sang all of the male vocals on both songs.

Return to “Music Cafe”