A *classical* piece i made recently.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recorded live in 2 takes, 1 for the bass 1 for the piano. The piano is Korg M1.

https://soundcloud.com/user-492255322/c ... bLRY9DPB3S

I'd love to know what you think of it!
Last edited by Spring Goose on Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curious - Why 'classical' ?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

is it not classical? i thought but maybe i'm wrong that a solo piano piece is a classical piece. I thought that maybe just a piano and a bass could be classical. Please excuse my ignorance. Actually later i thought "is it a jazz/classical hybrid", because i thought/remembered that my piano is reminiscent of The Bad Plus - Karma Police (cover of Radiohead), and i had thought The Bad Plus - Karma Police is jazz. Now i'm no expert about classical or jazz, but i have listened to a bit of both (more classical, less jazz). So what do you say/think my song is?

& do you mind saying (now that you are here) what you thought of it? I realise it isn't very developed. I think developing isn't my forte. & also i understand that it's quite innocent, i'm no master pianist. But i am very pleased with this song, which was essentially recording a jam.

Actually you're right, this could make an indie/pop song. The piano at the start of the song could be the intro of a The Cure song, then my chorus is the main riff that i repeat 4 times. The pre-chorus what precedes the main riff. There's plenty of other material in here. Now i need to find some bandmates.
Last edited by Spring Goose on Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a solo piano piece is a classical piece.
Not necessarily, but 'classical' music is a VERY wide genre to put it mildly with some seriously experimental stuff in there, so why not! Can't say I've ever been very bothered by labels anyway!

Definitely nothing 'jazz' oriented on there to my ear at all.
But i am very pleased with this song, which was essentially recording a jam.
If it works for you, then that's 100% fine...there's a lot of very simple music out there by some very famous composers. For me, I thought it had some good ideas in it, but was a little fragmented and underdeveloped, but that's just my opinion and yours is just as valid.

Classical music, in general, is all about taking raw musical ideas and developing them in various ways...that's what it lacked for me personally + a tighter structure which is also a key, central component of the vast majority of the classical reportoire...not totally convinced that there were enough ideas in there for 13 mins!?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:22 pm
Classical music, in general, is all about taking raw musical ideas and developing them in various ways...that's what it lacked for me personally + a tighter structure which is also a key, central component of the vast majority of the classical reportoire.
Ok thanks for telling me what you think.

Actually this song came about when in another thread a person said that i "need" or "should" (i forget) record 20 minute takes of each instrument, then edit it into 1 shorter song. Now i haven't quite worked this method exactly as he said it before, and so i recorded my bass. I hadn't even considered about the order of the instruments to record. So next i recorded my piano. Then at the finish of the piano i was amazed at my ability of the piano (the person had said "expect to be surprised" but not what about, and i certainly was surprised) and then i've listened back to it quite a few times. Then i edited the beginning and the end leaving me with 14 minutes unedited from the middle, and then i've listened to this between 15-20 times and i was very happy with it. Now what you said in your first message caused me to look at it from a different perspective and then i could see the idea behind 2 instruments of an indie/pop song.

Oh, further the person had told me to choose a "theme", a "topic", and a "point of view" for example (his example) honesty, in relationships, and is good.
He lost me a bit at this, so i took his example which left me delightfully without thoughts, and so i recorded this music.
I've been reading about "theme" particularly, and a dictionary definition is this:
noun
a subject of discourse, discussion, meditation, or composition; topic:
The need for world peace was the theme of the meeting.
a unifying or dominant idea, motif, etc., as in a work of art.
a short, informal essay, especially a school composition.
Music.
a principal melodic subject in a musical composition.
a short melodic subject from which variations are developed.
SEE MORE
adjective
having a unifying theme:
a theme restaurant decorated like a spaceship.
verb (used with object), themed, them·ing.
to provide with a theme.
That's what you reminded me of, this "the theme". Now i thought in music the theme of the song can be a motif or even a chord which i then explore variation of. I realise i didn't do that here. Now i have read somewhere before, about the idea of an instrumental song being a story and (i'm just making these chords up, the story probably absurd or doesn't make sense, but you get the idea) the Aminor9 diminished chord is the main protagonist and the Dmajor is the villian of the piece and so on.

Thanks for listening to me.

BTW i'm happy about this person tutoring me.

I noticed that at this moment i have had twenty listens of it, and whilst my previous song in Music Cafe "progressive house 12" mix" has had only 6 listens to it, and a while ago i put a "progressive house 12 1/2 minutes" got more than 50 listens to it. I've not noticed a pattern to how many listens to expect.

If anybody actually enjoyed the first song then here is a second song:
https://soundcloud.com/user-492255322/h ... QGWXEJkpWG
Once again, i'll be happy if anybody wants to say anything about the song.
This song doesn't have an ending yet.
I think the song is posh, and btw the Vox (the angels' voices) sounds very posh and it's the Korg M1 again. I think my production is quite posh, the song hasn't had any mixing or processing outside of the synths done to it yet. I can't say what genre this song is. "electronica" is my best bet.

The first track is more interesting. Nice sound.

Thanks. Thanks for listening.

Return to “Music Cafe”