OWL. - Together (Spotify, Free Download)Trance

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I present You my first track in 2021. My aim for this year is releasing one track every month so stay put for more songs. Enjoy ;)

Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/owlofficial/owl- ... iginal-mix

I don't really have much to feedback on, I just didn't want this good production to go completely unnoticed :)

Nice job!

Really great melodies, urge, production and track in general, one of, if not the best trance track I heard on this forum. (not counting psytrance)

Thanks guys for kind words ;)

I agree with the previous comments in general, but I do have a couple of issues with the production...

Yes, the melodic content is very well constructed...nicely restrained...not too many notes, so NOT too busy over the energetic Trance groove. GREAT LISTEN!

Overall the production is pretty solid - warm, punchy and balanced across the frequency range...except for one big issue I had after a couple of listens on different systems...

At times there is is simply to much high frequency energy to my ear (and I compared it directly to a couple of professional trance tracks to check)...

Listening from 3:40 onward for example, the necessary high end fizz in any Trance track is a little bit overdone to my ear and too dominant in the mix...i think it's down to the combination of those splashy cymbals (necessary, obviously) and the high frequency content in one of the synths alongside it....they just merge together in that freq area and wash across the mix just a little bit too much, maybe?

Also (a small point)...reverb is definitively a crucial part of any Trance mix, but I felt that there was just a little bit too much of it here on too many different sounds...flattens the sound stage if you're not careful and just mushes everything together beyond what is necessary...reduces the clarity of individual parts...

This slightly excessive reverb is also probably linked to my first point regarding high freq issues as that synth involved is swamped with reverb and maybe a simple Low Pass filter on that synth's reverb might solve both issues...hard to tell exactly what's going on sometimes!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

nice uplift, high freqs sound fine to me, although I get a feeling they are somehow bitcrushed or 128kbps mp3 quality like (maybe it's soundcloud)
and I would tame that kick 2db @ 200hz
most ppl won't give a f. about above, good song

Yeah.. Im aware about high frequencies problem. I was using one of Giuseppe Ottavianis track as a reference and his track had a lot of those frequencies. So on mastering step I just boosted them too much. Definitely I will be more careful next time :)

sowik66 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:02 pm Yeah.. Im aware about high frequencies problem. I was using one of Giuseppe Ottavianis track as a reference and his track had a lot of those frequencies. So on mastering step I just boosted them too much. Definitely I will be more careful next time :)
Reference tracks are a great idea without a doubt...I use 'em all the time whatever genre I'm writing in, but definitely choose carefully...

G. Ottaviani is pretty infamous for well mixed but 'fizzy' tracks.

Maybe try someone like:

Stoneface & Terminal - Wide Awake (Radio Edit) is pretty well balanced in the highs.

Bjorn Akesson - Paper Dreams...ditto

Dimension - Mangata (Original Mix)

There are others, obviously!

Have to admit that i still tend to listen much more to old school trance like Juno Reactor...better mixed with slightly more quirky, experimental, hybrid ideas for me.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

ssl4000 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:53 amhigh freqs sound fine to me...
Had another listen...still feel that it just needs a little bit of tidying up / pegging back up there...would 'release' other aspects of the mix for me....but, no big deal...minor point! My feedback was very positive overall, both musically and production-wise.
ssl4000 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:53 amand I would tame that kick 2db @ 200hz
Agreed...would help it blend in the mix just a little more...needs to lead, but not stick out too much. Again, a small point though.
ssl4000 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:53 ammost ppl won't give a f. about above, good song
That's true - some seriously mediocre dance mixes have had great success and overall, this is a better mix than many, but...

Many listeners do G.A.F. about the high frequency content much more than the mids and bass as the ear is often particularly sensitive to sounds in that 3 - 6 kHz range and however good the musical content is, serious mixing errors here can make the listen tiring or even mildly painful to some.

Mids and bass - little miscalculations don't irritate in the same way and as long as it's all roughly in the 'right balance' it will not necessarily be noticed, I agree.

NOTE: I'm not saying this mix is that bad; not at all... I do like it overall, but it is too close to that 'fatiguing' listen level at times.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:25 pm NOTE: I'm not saying this mix is that bad; not at all... I do like it overall, but it is too close to that 'fatiguing' listen level at times.

Hah You don't need to defend yourself I totally agree with Your feedback. Im very happy to get such a good and helpful respond which is pretty rare this days. So thank you very much ;)

Return to “Music Cafe”