Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

I recently picked up Melda’s Turbo Reverb and that’s a fantastic algorithmic reverb that lets you model just about anything outside of pure convolution reverb spaces

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Is the JV1080 redundant, if I get the XV5080 ?

bill45 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 pm Is the JV1080 redundant, if I get the XV5080 ?
From my very limited month long trials, I believe it is redundant. From the research I could dig up on the net, it appears that owners of the hardware often report that the two have a different engine, amp or ? - by which they can tell the difference, prompting a few to suggest having both. But when I asked on one of these threads if that difference was apparent in the software, I think I remember everyone saying it was essentially the same.

BBFG# wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:00 am
bill45 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 pm Is the JV1080 redundant, if I get the XV5080 ?
From my very limited month long trials, I believe it is redundant. From the research I could dig up on the net, it appears that owners of the hardware often report that the two have a different engine, amp or ? - by which they can tell the difference, prompting a few to suggest having both. But when I asked on one of these threads if that difference was apparent in the software, I think I remember everyone saying it was essentially the same.
Thanks that is what I thought. Different D to A converters. The XV also has a Different sample Rate.

Surely I'm not the only one looking at this and going -- 1. they already have a 106, was this really necessary? and 2. to owner's of TAL's wonderful U-No-LX, surely this is a big, long yawn of a release?

Juno 60 has a different sound to the 106. Good enough reason for a release in my book. I have the U-No-LX, but not everyone with Roland Cloud will have it and the owners are Juno fans so they won't hate this release.
Please let us know when they release a synth you're looking forward to so we can piss on your chips.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 am Juno 60 has a different sound to the 106. Good enough reason for a release in my book. I have the U-No-LX, but not everyone with Roland Cloud will have it and the owners are Juno fans so they won't hate this release.
Please let us know when they release a synth you're looking forward to so we can piss on your chips.
Really? Aren't they essentially the same, with the only difference being the arpeggiator, MIDI and sweepable/stepped HPF?

So glad I stopped this subscription after the first year, I don’t miss anything (I got the 2 I wanted) and there has been nothing added that temps me back.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 am Juno 60 has a different sound to the 106. Good enough reason for a release in my book. I have the U-No-LX, but not everyone with Roland Cloud will have it and the owners are Juno fans so they won't hate this release.
But it doesn't have a different sound, though. At least, not a significant enough difference to warrant emulating both. I bet you'd never, ever be able to tell the two apart in a blind test. But you really need both, regardless, eh?

EDIT: OK, I have egg on my face. I don't know how different the hardware 106 varies from a 60, but in terms purely of these cloud plugins, this 60 sounds better to me than their 106 emulation. No idea why, yet, but that's my gut reaction.

But the real improvement over the hardware -- and also notably over the TAL emulation of the 60 -- is that Roland wisely converted the Osc Shape buttons into actual sliders, so now you can mix the levels of the Saw and Square. IMHO that's actually a huge bonus, and really makes this better than any previous Juno-60.

So, apologies for my previous negativity. It was unwarranted. Lesson learned!
Last edited by mholloway on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Demoing it now, sounds great. f**k the haters. :party:

Are you safe?

raysaul wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:20 am
Really? Aren't they essentially the same, with the only difference being the arpeggiator, MIDI and sweepable/stepped HPF?
Nope. There's a noticeably different sound to the oscillators, especially in the lower registers.
There's some good comparisons on youtube. I can't remember where I saw a really good one that compared why certain genres preferred one over the other, might have been something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgPTsistwGU

I can see being less excited about a Juno 60 given the existing Juno 106, but if you're Roland, and you're currently in the process of making software versions of your classic synths, are you actually going to skip the Juno 60? Probably not.

If nothing else, being brand new it should have an improved UI, resizing, CPU hit etc. vs the existing 106. In terms of sound, I tend to prefer Roland's ACB models to, pretty much everything out there.

Next one will be Jupiter 6

trackbout wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:43 am I can see being less excited about a Juno 60 given the existing Juno 106, but if you're Roland, and you're currently in the process of making software versions of your classic synths, are you actually going to skip the Juno 60? Probably not.

If nothing else, being brand new it should have an improved UI, resizing, CPU hit etc. vs the existing 106. In terms of sound, I tend to prefer Roland's ACB models to, pretty much everything out there.
You can finally drag the plugin to resize it! It's taken years, but it's finally there.

Are you safe?

Return to “Instruments”