Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Interesting. So I downloaded this new Juno-60 ACB and... you can import Juno 106 ACB .bin patch banks files in it! I could compare the exact same patches (and with the same parameter values) on both. First impression is that they sound very different (filter with more high freq & snappier env)... as expected but I didn't think it would be "that" obvious (not gonna lie I low-key expected this to be the J-106 with a J-60 graphic skin on it... :hihi: you know they did that with the JV/XV stuff). Also nice to have the true Chorus I+II and the Chorus CE-1 effect as well.

Arashi, I'd also add..

1. "ACB" is just a marketing term for whatever Roland is doing to "model" their synths. Same as Arturia "TAE" or whatever cute nickname any other company comes up with for their modeling technology. Just saying "we do analog circuit models" doesn't make the plugin good. Case in point: Analog Obsession. That guy does circuit models/simulations, and I'd rank his plugins well below others. The important thing is the final sound not the marketing jargon for their modeling tech. I'm not saying "Roland's lying" or anything like that, just that I take terms like "ACB" with a grain of salt. Full blown circuit emulations are too CPU intensive for every single element of every circuit to be fully calculated on a PC in raltime a la a SPICE simulation. So...ignore the jargon. If all the companies who claim to modeled circuits accurately, actually did, all their products would sound the same. That's just never the whole story.

2. When was the last time you tried the J-8 from TAL? There were a lot of changes since "the osc's are perfectly in tune and don't drift." You can still get the behavior if you want, but it's no longer the default. You may want to demo again.

3. The Arp behavior is wrong and that's wildly offensive to you, but the split/dual thing is fine? I don't get it. The arp behavior can [and knowing Patrick will likely] be corrected in J-8. Roland is not going to add Split/Dual to the Jupiter-8 plug-outs.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinemotor wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:46 pm Interesting. So I downloaded this new Juno-60 ACB and... you can import Juno 106 ACB .bin patch banks files in it!
That's really nice to know. Thanks!

Hoping Roland releases plug-ins for the Juno Chorus and CE-1. What say you Brian? Next month sound doable?

bill45 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:11 am
BBFG# wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:00 am
bill45 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 pm Is the JV1080 redundant, if I get the XV5080 ?
From my very limited month long trials, I believe it is redundant. From the research I could dig up on the net, it appears that owners of the hardware often report that the two have a different engine, amp or ? - by which they can tell the difference, prompting a few to suggest having both. But when I asked on one of these threads if that difference was apparent in the software, I think I remember everyone saying it was essentially the same.
Thanks that is what I thought. Different D to A converters. The XV also has a Different sample Rate.
probably different patches as well, in the 1080.There are different patches in the 2080 as well.

Anyway. After looking at this for quite a while, I jumped in and trying the demos. Absolutely blown away by the legendary synths, especially the System 100 (so PHAT!!) and Juno 60. I could be on Top of the Pops circa 1983 :hihi:

Simple to install and activate and the amount of presets is mind boggling. Well done Roland :clap:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:54 pm Anyway. After looking at this for quite a while, I jumped in and trying the demos. Absolutely blown away by the legendary synths, especially the System 100 (so PHAT!!) and Juno 60. I could be on Top of the Pops circa 1983 :hihi:

Simple to install and activate and the amount of presets is mind boggling. Well done Roland :clap:
The Roland Cloud mono synths are no joke. The filters sound way better than the poly filters to me. Not sure if that's because maybe they're using better models only needing to play one voice versus multiple, or if the filters are super accurate and those old Roland filters sounded that good, but yeah...don't sleep on the mono synths. The System-100, Pro-Mars, SH-2 are limited but quite good. I personally suspect they're just better models but those things have filters that can tear your speaker cones apart.

If they'd just give us a Last Note Priority option, I'd actually enjoy using them. :P

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:01 pm 1. "ACB" is just a marketing term for whatever Roland is doing to "model" their synths. Same as Arturia "TAE" or whatever cute nickname any other company comes up with for their modeling technology.
Yes, I'm well aware. I don't attach any special meaning to the term, or consider it to be anything different from Korg's CMT, Arturia TAE, Brainworx TMT, etc. (The companies themselves might use their alphabet soup terms slightly differently, but I only care about the end result.)
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:01 pm 2. When was the last time you tried the J-8 from TAL? There were a lot of changes since "the osc's are perfectly in tune and don't drift." You can still get the behavior if you want, but it's no longer the default. You may want to demo again.
Tried it shortly after release, and haven't played with it since. Will check it out again at some point.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:01 pm 3. The Arp behavior is wrong and that's wildly offensive to you, but the split/dual thing is fine? I don't get it. The arp behavior can [and knowing Patrick will likely] be corrected in J-8. Roland is not going to add Split/Dual to the Jupiter-8 plug-outs.
Nothing is "wildly offensive". I just like the arp behavior a lot and it's a bummer to me that it's missing. DAWs have arpeggiator plugins (a type of MIDI effect), but I haven't found one that has the exact behavior of the JP-8.

Again, split/dual are not missing for me because my System-8 has them, and they work exactly the same way as the actual Jupiter-8. I just don't use them, and don't consider it an essential feature of a plugin because that kind of functionality is easy to replicate in a DAW just by inserting two plugins and record-arming both. Arturia supported split/dual in their previous Jupiter-8 plugin and decided not to include it in the new version, probably for the same reason.
Stormchild

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:53 pm If they'd just give us a Last Note Priority option, I'd actually enjoy using them. :P
Yeah, I wish. Being stuck with low note priority is one level of authenticity I could do without.
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 pm DAWs have arpeggiator plugins (a type of MIDI effect), but I haven't found one that has the exact behavior of the JP-8.
Not saying you’ll find exactly what you’re after, but definitely check out a great freeware arp plugin named BluArp
http://graywolf2004.net/wp/

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Arashi wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 pm Tried it shortly after release, and haven't played with it since. Will check it out again at some point.
I'd definitely advise you to revisit it again now with an open mind. The updates since the RC release are substantial. It's really operating at another level compared to back then.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:02 pm
sinemotor wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:46 pm Interesting. So I downloaded this new Juno-60 ACB and... you can import Juno 106 ACB .bin patch banks files in it!
That's really nice to know. Thanks!

Hoping Roland releases plug-ins for the Juno Chorus and CE-1. What say you Brian? Next month sound doable?
Hey, Funkybot's Evil Twin! We've been getting quite a few requests for the effects. I'm logging every one and letting the team know. Thanks!

Still waiting for the SOBs to release the Legendary MKS20.. Sick of hauling my RD-2000 around for a single Disney keyboard tines lol.

JamminFool wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:45 am Hi Brian, Is Zenology Pro going to get reverb? Why was it not included? If it is added in an update, will the Presets be updated to match the equivalent presets that used reverb in the original hardware (the XV-5080 presets, for example)?
@brian from roland

For me the synth I want to see in the cloud is one of the best Roland ever made.
The D-70 was not good to control but the sounds you can get out of it you never find this sound today in plugins.
Don't forget your best sounding synth and bring it back to life with performance mode of course.
Not like in the jv 1080 plug only single sounds because of the cpu.
The same is for Zenology it needs performance mode this means you need multicore options.
Thanks.

I haven't tried the new Juno yet, but I am extremely curious as I've never tried a 60 and 106 side by side. Time to see what the difference actually is... and if I'll care enough about said difference.

I will note that the Cloud Manager software hasn't bugged me to log in since the update three or so weeks back, and it is an incredible relief. Thanks much to the team on that front, whew.

Return to “Instruments”