What are the differences between the Synclavier and the DX7?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:13 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:03 am Dexed is less of a cpu hog. , simple install, no bells and whistles and it’s free ..
Oh. And it sounds great ... win/ win situation
I already own the Arturia and I'm pretty well covered with cpu throughput, I just want to know if Dexed is actually better in sound quality.
Not to my ears. The sound quality is pretty poor and is very quiet. I get that it's free, but even so if it's not up to the job it doesn't matter

I just remembered (and found again) this thread from PietW
"Huge Library for ARTURIA DX7 V"
viewtopic.php?t=517221

Three.

Bodhisan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:13 am Synclavier is head and shoulders above DX7. Oh, it can do things DX7 can’t even dream to do - and the case is not vice-versa in any stretch of the imagination.
They are both very different. The Synclavier can do tricks the DX can’t, but also the other way round. Any algorithm which has more than 2 operators in series or feedback, the Synclavier can’t do. Thats 32/32 (all), but you are right, that the Synclavier is more flexible and on top its easier to understand/program. There is almost no overlap though...
Thanks a lot for bringing this up, just by starting to read the manual of the Arturia Synclavier its obvious they enhanced it by adding stuff to it N.E.D. would have implemented if they would be still in the business, its so much more than just a replication of the original! Its likely the most enhanced emulation of all Arturia emulations.
12 instead of 4 partials, alone the resynthesis is what was just a dream back then... I have to start playing around with it, till now it was just a nostalgic addition to my collection of dream machines I could never afford in its era, but this is so much more....

Yeah I really need to spend a lot of time with synclavier. My idea for creating a vst synth that I'll probably never get around to making is kind of like what synclavier already does.

briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:44 pm Is dexed better than Arturia dx7?
I think it's a matter of subjective taste really. The Arturia DX7, though, goes beyond, what Dexed can do. And it has a way more inspiring GUI to work with.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:17 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:13 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:03 am Dexed is less of a cpu hog. , simple install, no bells and whistles and it’s free ..
Oh. And it sounds great ... win/ win situation
I already own the Arturia and I'm pretty well covered with cpu throughput, I just want to know if Dexed is actually better in sound quality.
Not to my ears. The sound quality is pretty poor and is very quiet. I get that it's free, but even so if it's not up to the job it doesn't matter
Increase the operator velocity depth to get it louder ( and go beyond the standard 100 velocity limit of the dx7) .
Dexed sounds great , there is def something wrong with your ears
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:14 pm
Bodhisan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:13 am Synclavier is head and shoulders above DX7. Oh, it can do things DX7 can’t even dream to do - and the case is not vice-versa in any stretch of the imagination.
They are both very different. The Synclavier can do tricks the DX can’t, but also the other way round. Any algorithm which has more than 2 operators in series or feedback, the Synclavier can’t do. Thats 32/32 (all), but you are right, that the Synclavier is more flexible and on top its easier to understand/program. There is almost no overlap though...
Thanks a lot for bringing this up, just by starting to read the manual of the Arturia Synclavier its obvious they enhanced it by adding stuff to it N.E.D. would have implemented if they would be still in the business, its so much more than just a replication of the original! Its likely the most enhanced emulation of all Arturia emulations.
12 instead of 4 partials, alone the resynthesis is what was just a dream back then... I have to start playing around with it, till now it was just a nostalgic addition to my collection of dream machines I could never afford in its era, but this is so much more....
This.

They were different synths built for different purposes and really shouldn't even be compared. The DX7 can sound great and it's all over hits from the '80s. Since then, other people have really pushed what "FM" (really, PM: phase modulation) synthesis can do. Don't just go by the bare-bones presets in Dexed. Listen to some of the presets in DX7 V, and check out some examples on YouTube -- especially some of the more extreme examples. Depending upon what kind of sound you're looking for, the DX7 might be able to do it (or get close), but the bare-bones presets that came with the original DX7 don't sound like what we're used to hearing from "FM synths" today.

The Synclavier is an incredible synth/sampler in its own right, but it was not meant to be "just an FM synth" and it was not meant to compete with the DX7. Unlike the DX7, the Synclavier II had built-in sequencing and many other features, including (eventually) direct-to-disk recording. For the original Synclavier, N.E.D. had licensed the "FM" synthesis technology from Yamaha, but marketed the beast as an "additive synthesis" synth. In fact, by the time the DX7 came out, New England Digital had already added 16-bit sampling to the Synclavier and upgraded it to the Synclavier II. That would go on to form the basis of the Synclavier Digital Recording "Tapeless Studio" and the basis of the "workstation" as we've come to know it. The DX7 didn't have these features because it focused on PM/FM synthesis, and gave the user more options with that.

As with all their "emulations", Arturia adds a few things to the DX7 V and Synclavier V that the originals didn't have, so you can't even really compare them to each other, either.

Steve
Last edited by planetearth on Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I will give dexxed another go, but I do struggle with FM. Altering one parameter seems to mean every other connected parameter/operator can also be changed and so sound design is a nightmare, despite the possibilities

In your previous post you said the sound quality is poor and too silent , and now you admit you struggle with fm :)
Maybe the problem is your lack of fm experience
Eyeball exchanging

Ok, first it sounded awful, then it sounded too soft.
What about your other synths, do they sound better and louder?

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:30 am In your previous post you said the sound quality is poor and too silent , and now you admit you struggle with fm :)
How does that follow? I don't need to be good at programming to hear the quality. There are presets I can hear. I have no idea how faithful it is, i've never owned a dx7 and never will. But the arturia model, which may also be inaccurate for all i know, sounds much better. Dialing up velocity doesn't do anything.

Not sure why there's a need to be defensive about this. I don't like how Dexxed sounds.

excuse me please wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:38 pm Ok, first it sounded awful, then it sounded too soft.
What about your other synths, do they sound better and louder?
I don't really see the point of this, it's not a good faith question. I can respect the effort that went into programming dexxed without having to like the quality of how it sounds.

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:13 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:30 am In your previous post you said the sound quality is poor and too silent , and now you admit you struggle with fm :)
How does that follow? I don't need to be good at programming to hear the quality. There are presets I can hear. I have no idea how faithful it is, i've never owned a dx7 and never will. But the arturia model, which may also be inaccurate for all i know, sounds much better. Dialing up velocity doesn't do anything.

Not sure why there's a need to be defensive about this. I don't like how Dexxed sounds.
Because first of all the arturia has it's velocity levels to max 127 , where as on the original dx7 this unly goes up to 100 (dexed default ) , this means the harder you strike a key ..the louder the sound and/or modulator gain output into the carrier .
If you don't like how dexed sounds chances are small you will like the dx7 .
I have a tg 77 ( yamaha flagship fm of the 90's ) and dexed holds up pretty well compared to the tg 77 ( when just using the tg77 without the advanced features ) .
It's perfectly fine to have an opinion about a certain piece , but at least have some experience with the actual hardware or fm in general ( which you clearly don't have ) before making a comparison
Eyeball exchanging

Synclavier is about 10 times more complex than DX7. Sure it has so many more possibilities, but at what cost ? Tbh I don't like the Synclavier as it takes hours to make something usable out of it. Not fun.
Also Dexed is very cool because all is in one panel, no need to switch over constantly. DX7 sounds a bit better though I think.

Return to “Instruments”