DIVA for old school, what is the one for latest sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So if DIVA is great at the old synths sound, is fast, easy, sounds fantastic,

What is the ONE, easy to program, great sounding MODERN synth?

I know, I know, this will generate a million personal opinions, but just want some input about what is GREAT, SIMPLE, FAST, and covers the most? Hopefully SMALL enough too, not like with 40GB of samples.

DUNE 3 "LQQKS" pretty simple, sounds are okay, but what else is very new for me?
I plan to demo a few and decide to buy ONE modern-ish soft synth.

NEW- GREAT- SIMPLE- FAST- SMALL ... I guess price below $200

Serum probably.

What does Fast mean?

Ignoring all their negatives, I would say Dune 3 and Avenger.
rsp
sound sculptist

PS Im kinda lazy and usually just mess with presets

zvenx wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 pm What does Fast mean?

rsp
Fast as in simple fast to use: tweak play, not tons of learning, or confusing interface

Actually, I would say that any soft synth sounds "modern". Diva also doesn't sound like a dusty dinosaur to me either. ;) Serum has more of a digital sheen and top end to me though, so, I proposed that. It also is easy and fast to program, if that was meant with "easy".

Other than that, Massive X also has a pretty modern sound to it.

What do you mean by the latest sounds? I’m genuinely curious.
A lot of times when people talk about “modern” synths they’re talking about super saws from the 90s or even FM and additive sounds from the 80s.
A lot contemporary music goes for a deliberately cheesy synth vibe that is a mix of sounds from before the turn of the millennium.
The only somewhat recent synth trend that sounded cutting edge to me was the whole dubstep/brostep fad and that was just a shit ton of modulation on some fairly typical sounds.

To be clear, this is not a negative, modern music sucks type post, I’m just always curious to hear new things so when someone mentions “the latest sounds,” I’m really curious to know what they actually are (or even just what people think they are).

no I get ya.... I'd say MODERN as in NOT stone age analog sounding, nor the 90s Super Saw... more things that are LESS HEARD everywhere. A synth is a synth is a sythn, but some sound NEWER than the older synths.

wwjd wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:53 pm
zvenx wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 pm What does Fast mean?

rsp
Fast as in simple fast to use: tweak play, not tons of learning, or confusing interface
Ok. Then i would say Dune 3 and Phase Plant.
Rsp
sound sculptist

any softsynth obnoxiously distorted and sausage fattenered to death can sound "new and modern" :roll:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

wwjd wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:13 pm no I get ya.... I'd say MODERN as in NOT stone age analog sounding, nor the 90s Super Saw... more things that are LESS HEARD everywhere. A synth is a synth is a sythn, but some sound NEWER than the older synths.
That makes sense.
I feel like physical modeling is not always used to its full potential and can give a cool, modern sound. Chromaphone is nice.

Other than that as far as basic subtractive/wave table stuff goes, Massive X is interesting.
Thorn has a polished sound that is more modern than vintage.

Then there’s something like Waverazor which might not be very versatile but can add some futuristic accents very well.

wwjd wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:13 pm no I get ya.... I'd say MODERN as in NOT stone age analog sounding, nor the 90s Super Saw... more things that are LESS HEARD everywhere. A synth is a synth is a sythn, but some sound NEWER than the older synths.
That’s because the simulated capacitors are more worn out and detune easily. Newer synths simulate newer capacitors.
I hate signatures too.

Vital, Pigments, Phase Plant...

wwjd wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:53 pm Fast as in simple fast to use: tweak play, not tons of learning, or confusing interface
To me, this would not describe Serum or Massive X. I'd suggest something like Dune 3, Spire, Sylenth1, or Hive. There are also many modern sounding preset banks available for these synths, so that might make them appealing, since you mentioned that you tend to tweak presets.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

For fast and easy to use... Hive
also Vital

Return to “Instruments”