DIVA for old school, what is the one for latest sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have VITAL free installed, I'll dive into that one a little also. I got a lot of demoing to do. thanks!

So, there's not like a "BEST OF" modern synth that leads the rest like DIVA did for the in the box analog sound? (I'm aware others have equalled or excelled Diva now) I did check the READERS CHOICE 2020 and found Spectrsonic, but that's older and doesnt seem like a straight up Synth

Well... there's Sylenth1, when it comes to soft synths. But, I don't know if it really "leads the rest". I don't know if Diva really leads the rest in what it does. I know at least 7 or 8 soft synths which are on a similar level in terms of analog modelling.

I'd rather forget about this "best of the best", or reader's choice thing. That's for fanboys. Fact is, there is not the one outstanding soft synth, just like there's not the one outstanding hardware synth (even though the Minimoog takes a lot of credit when it comes to analog synths).

cryophonik wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:52 pm
wwjd wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:53 pm Fast as in simple fast to use: tweak play, not tons of learning, or confusing interface
To me, this would not describe Serum or Massive X. I'd suggest something like Dune 3, Spire, Sylenth1, or Hive. There are also many modern sounding preset banks available for these synths, so that might make them appealing, since you mentioned that you tend to tweak presets.
IMO Massive X sounds more modern than Sylenth1 (he wanted opinions ;))

Also Massive X is a piece of piss to use if you know your way round a synth. I don't know why people complain about its GUI/workflow.

Serum often is recommended as best/fastest workflow, but i have no opinion either way about that.

I agree Hive is very easy. Spire is quite easy. I haven't tried Dune 3.
Last edited by Spring Goose on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:46 pm
wwjd wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:53 pm Fast as in simple fast to use: tweak play, not tons of learning, or confusing interface
To me, this would not describe Serum or Massive X. I'd suggest something like Dune 3, Spire, Sylenth1, or Hive. There are also many modern sounding preset banks available for these synths, so that might make them appealing, since you mentioned that you tend to tweak presets.
I was referring more to the fast/simple to use part of his statement. I agree that Massive X sounds modern, I just see it as being more complex/unintuitive to use than Sylenth1. Plus, I don't think there are very many preset banks available for Massive X (???), but I don't buy many preset banks, so I could be wrong. :shrug:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:52 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:46 pm
I was referring more to the fast/simple to use part of his statement. I agree that Massive X sounds modern, I just see it as being more complex/unintuitive to use than Sylenth1. Plus, I don't think there are very many preset banks available for Massive X (???), but I don't buy many preset banks, so I could be wrong. :shrug:
I like Sylenth1 but i think it sound dated in comparison to Massive X. NI have a few preset banks and Loopmasters some for Massive X. You're right not great amounts of. Serum plenty of presets available and sound modern. Personally i wouldn't recommend Serum to this person who wants to buy one synth, because Serum is NFR.

Sylenth1 definitely sounds more "vintage". Massive X is one of the brightest synths I own. Sometimes a bit too harsh in the high frequencies TBH... makes me want to EQ it a bit. ;)

I always underestimate Sylenth1 though. Every time I spend a bit more time with it, it surprises me in how versatile and good it sounds over the whole bandwidth. It lacks a bit in the bottom end IMO though, compared to the more current generation of soft synths. Massive X or Spire simply sound fatter.

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:58 pm I always underestimate Sylenth1 though. Every time I spend a bit more time with it, it surprises me in how versatile and good it sounds over the whole bandwidth.
Ditto. 10 years ago, I didn't even want to own it and thought it was the most over-hyped soft synth on the market. Then, I started collaborating with a friend who used it heavily in his tracks, and almost everytime I'd notice sound that really stood out to me, it ended up being from Sylenth1. So, that convinced me to buy a license. Now, it's among my most-used synths because it rarely disappoints and often surprises me. Anyway, I digress...
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Yeah, it definitely wasn't love on first sight here either. I already owned Spire when I bought it, and thought Spire sounds better (I still do), but, the Sylenth1 hype is definitely no coincidence. When you work with it, you realize that it has a lot of sweet spots (at least that's my impression).

Massive X - great modern sound, GUI not for everyone
Pigments 2 -good modern, easy/fast to use and inspiring
We didnt got really new modern sounds in last decade so there's no need for new fancy synths. Any synth that has wavetables will do the job.

Interesting that most people are picking WT synths as 'modern'! We really need some synth methods ;-)
To me the PM/PM Hybrid synths are the latest sounds (Noisy, Plasmonic etc) especially with MPE.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Unfiltered Audio LION
Newfangled Audio GENERATE
Native Instruments MASSIVE X

thats a lot of synths to preview! Thank you! I plan to listen to you tubes first, then install demos of the ones I liked, and report back. Not because I am important, but because I want you to know your input was valued and acted upon. :)

if I had to pick a polar opposite of diva but equally high quality, I'd say sugarbytes Factory I think

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:58 pm
I always underestimate Sylenth1 though. Every time I spend a bit more time with it, it surprises me in how versatile and good it sounds over the whole bandwidth. It lacks a bit in the bottom end IMO though, compared to the more current generation of soft synths. Massive X or Spire simply sound fatter.
I think Sylenth1 is great for making stuff which sound psychedelic. In fact nearly everything i have made with it sounds a bit psychedelic. But i probably am not very experienced and haven't delved very far.

Return to “Instruments”