What hardware is replacable by vst and which isn't?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
KVRAF
18045 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:04 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:54 am
pdxindy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:03 am
I have the Moog Matriarch. Nothing in software matches it. Monark cannot do all the different modulations possible with all the many patch points. Monark cannot just patch in some external audio into the mixer, or then make a feedback loop with it and ringmod it, or route the output of the delays back into the mixer, etc., etc. Adding all that capability would increase cpu significantly and make it impractical.
But Monark Blocks can do a whole lot more. :P
That is where the CPU use issue I mentioned would arise... :hihi:

A Reaktor Blocks construct that replicated Matriarch would crush one core for me. Plus it would be so unwieldy to use compared to the big spacious Matriarch user interface... and that would still not address being able to easily patch in external audio, an extra filter via another synth, etc.

KVRAF
6194 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:24 am

pdxindy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:51 am
My mind is open and flexible. My profession was photography (retired from paid work) and I started with film. IMO, digital has surpassed film in every meaningful way. That is what I would say based on my experience in the field. Maybe someone who does lots of darkroom work would say otherwise.

I've tried most of the latest synth emulations and I have a variety of analog hardware. I don't live in past conclusions. I still hear a difference... today. If I stop hearing a difference, I will say so. I'm neither nostalgic nor sentimental on the subject. Also, to clarify, I don't care that much if an emulation is a perfect tweak by tweak match to the original as much as I care that the spirit of the medium is captured.

I'm very glad to have both hardware and software. Purism doesn't interest me.
:clap: You just described me perfectly (except I'm still very active in photography and have even started using film again occasionally since our son has taken an interest in it).

Anyway, I'm generalizing here, but I've noticed a trend in all of these software vs. hardware threads on KVR, GS, etc. over the years. These days, people who grew up on hardware are also largely software guys and tend to have a pretty unbiased and rational opinion of the pros/cons of each. I honestly can't recall the last time I encountered a hardware purist, but software purists abound for all the good and obvious reasons. From my perspective, software proponents generally tend to have a limited ability to see beyond their own reasons for preferring software, which is often convenience and cost-effectiveness (absolutely nothing wrong with that), and they tend to exaggerate their opinion that investing in a hardware synth is this huge monetary risk, especially for a beginner. I totally disagree with that, but I also assume that most adults are smart enough to make wise purchase decisions with their own money and, if they don't, well, we all learn fiscal responsibility our own way, right? OK, mostly joking there, but people buy and sell hardware synths all the time and it's really not a big deal, especially if you buy/sell used, since hardware resale values tend to be relatively stable. Alright, flame away (but, you can't thumbs down me, so :P)

I'm very glad to have both hardware and software. Purism doesn't interest me. (it was worth repeating)

KVRAF
21206 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 am

pdxindy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:04 am
and that would still not address being able to easily patch in external audio, an extra filter via another synth, etc.
What are you even talking about? Audio input in Reaktor Blocks is entirely possible, and extra filters are all over the user library...

KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:38 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 am
pdxindy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:04 am
and that would still not address being able to easily patch in external audio, an extra filter via another synth, etc.
What are you even talking about? Audio input in Reaktor Blocks is entirely possible, and extra filters are all over the user library...
I mean the simplicity of just plugging a cable directly into the Matriarch... not that it cannot be done with Blocks... that is why I said 'easily'

KVRAF
5247 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:44 am

This hardware cant’t be replaced by vst:
1. My computer. I need at least one in hardware and have never heard of a computer emulation done as VST. Would be a funny idea though, run an Atari sequencer in an Atari emulator as VST...
2. My LinnStrument and any other physical Midi controller like Fader boxes or Pads. Most VSTs that can be controlled by those tools have some sort of UI that looks like it, but even on a touch screen it can’t be replaced at all and its more of an annoyance than fun...
3. Speakers and headphones. Though we have now VSTs that want to mimic a complete Studio, I would still need headphones to hear it... And listening to speakers is more fun...
4. I still have a CD/DVD burner and a DAT for playing back old tapes... Though I should get rid of the DAT at least, even if there is no VST replacement.
5. I also have a Vinyl deck. I hardly use it, sold my collection years ago, but have a timecode disc for scratching. Recently got a VST for scratching, but thats different...
6. My Peavey MidiBase and a Yamaha fretless bass. The Peavey I consider being a controller...
7. My violin. Though I have the Arché collection as VST and I can play it expressively with my LinnStrument its too different to be considered a replacement...
8. My Tibetan bowls. I am interested in a modeled bowl for sure, but to play them with my hands is just a spiritual experience a VST will never be able to deliver.
9. I have some glasses I can let them sing and scream. No VST will be able to do that in the same way...
10. Kazoos are hard to replace with a VST as well...
11. Last but not least to mention my voice. Any attempt to put a voice into a VST is just a joke compared to the variety and expressivity of a human being...

I don’t have any hardware synth anymore unless you count my iPad as such. I am often tempted. Especially after seeing a live performance with an Udo 6, but just remembering that my iPad can do so much more saves my wallet from hardware GAS...
Which is immediately pushed up again if I see an interesting controller. I am more of a controller junkie than a VST collector, which I am as well though...

addled muppet weed
75080 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:22 pm

i still want to get some bowls.
maybe i should ask for some for my birthday :o

GRRRRRRR!
11122 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:21 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:45 am
You are free to approach life in that manner. I would say that there is no single best possible way or best possible outcome.
Of course there is. That doesn't mean everyone should embrace it but, equally, people should be able to acknowledge that their way may not be the best. I certainly believe there is still plenty of room for improvement in the way I work, plenty of opportunities to increase efficiency and raise the quality of my/our output.
pdxindy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 am
When I p-lock the analog distortion and compressor in my Analog Rytm, the tones that come out can be so grungy yet not a hint of harsh digital edge or aliasing. Nothing I have tried in software can match that result.
Have you tried Orion's AD-1 distortion? Because that's how I'd describe its effect. We used to use it on our synth strings all the time. You wouldn't know just listening to the songs but when you turn it off the difference in tone is unbelievable. The saturation in Hexeract and the distortion built into Thorn are also very good. But, of course, I can also get harsh and digital when I want that, too, I'm not restricted to a single type of distortion in a $3200 box. Although, I suppose you could always spend another $1500 on an Analog Heat and then you'd have that one type of distortion you can apply elsewhere.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | Thorn, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, JP6K, Hexeract, Vacuum Pro, TRK-01, Knifonium, Equator, VG Carbon, VG Iron | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket.

KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:42 pm

BONES wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:21 pm
pdxindy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:45 am
You are free to approach life in that manner. I would say that there is no single best possible way or best possible outcome.
Of course there is. That doesn't mean everyone should embrace it but, equally, people should be able to acknowledge that their way may not be the best. I certainly believe there is still plenty of room for improvement in the way I work, plenty of opportunities to increase efficiency and raise the quality of my/our output.
You really have no idea what you don't know...

GRRRRRRR!
11122 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:13 pm

I don't know what Kim Kardashian is up to but there is nothing of any relevance I don't know. It may make you feel better to think you know something I don't but, honestly, what are the chances?
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | Thorn, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, JP6K, Hexeract, Vacuum Pro, TRK-01, Knifonium, Equator, VG Carbon, VG Iron | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”