Behringer FLOW 8 - easy way to add 8 extra multichannel USB audio inputs to a DAW alongside an existing interface?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRAF
5095 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:19 pm

Just noticed the blurb on Behringer’s new FLOW 8 digital mixer suggests it will handle the output of 10 simultaneous audio channels via USB into a host PC.

I’ve got a little Arturia Audiofuse interface extended via ADAT with a further 8 inputs, but I’ve now run out of input ports. Am I right in thinking I could add one (or more?) FUSE 8 units to be able to record more simultaneous hardware outputs into discrete channels? I know Windows struggles to deal with more than one ASIO interface, but what would this look like to a DAW? Just a separate input device or would it have to be treated as an interface that employs an audio driver?

All I want it for is recording live audio outputs from hardware synths, my other interface has quality mic inputs and line inputs for guitars.

If I can get one of these for just over £200 to do the job I want I’d be delighted, but wanted to ask on here if (a) it is possible and (b) if anyone knows a better/equally cheap solution?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/behr ... app-contro

KVRAF
12530 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:52 pm

ASIO on Windows has a restriction: ONE interface at a time. DAWs cannot break that law.

There's a hack: Asio4All. In Einstein mode it can do what's called "aggregated device" in Mac world. But it remains a hack. The clocks of interfaces are precise up to a certain tolerance. But they will drift apart. So you'll be left with gaps in data or leftovers of data, because the clocks of two devices will never be in exact sync.

How many hardware synths do you play simultaneously? Are you an octopus?

Maybe a patch bay or just a large enough mixer will do fine as well. Assign the synth(s) you want to record to a subgroup. Some mixers have DirectOuts for recording and ChannelInserts can be abused as well to tap off for recording.
Yeah, a mixer is what you need to control the flow, not a bigger interface. Although the Behringer X32 might be tempting.

Personally I don't trust Behringer engineering with ASIO drivers. Up to quite recently they shipped stuff with a link to Asio4All. To me that means: sod off, it works in plain windows, so if you don't like it go somewhere else.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:19 am

BertKoor wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:52 pm
Yes I am, maybe you’ve seen the documentary about me and my human friend?

No, it’s mainly for recording sequences, but being able to use midi controllers to manually affect CC values like cutoff and resonance across all of them in real time and still be able to have the audio for each discrete if during mixing I decide I want to, for instance, add an effect in post just to one of those audio tracks or simply be able to fade one in or out.

It sounds a lot like I’d end up in the same place re ASIO that I don’t want to be, with drifting clocks and unpredictable latency issues. Oh well. I may have to consider a mac mini or similar with a load of outboard storage.

Thanks for the response, appreciate it :tu:

v1o
KVRAF
2708 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:38 am

BertKoor wrote:
ASIO on Windows has a restriction: ONE interface at a time. DAWs cannot break that law.

There's a hack: Asio4All. In Einstein mode it can do what's called "aggregated device" in Mac world. But it remains a hack. The clocks of interfaces are precise up to a certain tolerance. But they will drift apart. So you'll be left with gaps in data or leftovers of data, because the clocks of two devices will never be in exact sync.

Maybe a patch bay or just a large enough mixer will do fine as well. Assign the synth(s) you want to record to a subgroup. Some mixers have DirectOuts for recording and ChannelInserts can be abused as well to tap off for recording.
Yeah, a mixer is what you need to control the flow, not a bigger interface. Although the Behringer X32 might be tempting.

Personally I don't trust Behringer engineering with ASIO drivers. Up to quite recently they shipped stuff with a link to Asio4All. To me that means: sod off, it works in plain windows, so if you don't like it go somewhere else.
This free app allows you to use more than one ASIO interface at the same time

https://give.academy/posts/2018/03/02/AsioLinkPro/
This ASIO driver extends your audio interface ASIO driver and adds windows audio with no additional latency. It also allows you to use your ASIO driver from more than one application with the inbuilt multi-client support, and you can even send ASIO audio over the network.

The driver is great value for money for people who need to monitor or record from windows audio or just want to jam with their favourite tunes.

Features:

Extremely high performance for Pro Audio apps.
Zero added ASIO latency.
64 IN + 64 OUT virtual ASIO channels.
32 IN + 32 OUT WDM audio channels.
16 IN + 16 OUT network audio channels.
Multi-client mode means ASIO for up to 25 apps.
Works without internal WDM or ASIO audio resampling.
Record lossless 8 channel audio to FLAC file.
Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
Route audio to/from WDM/MME/DirectSound/WASAPI and LAN/NET."
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:12 am

I'm sure that driver's fine, but I wouldn't buy hardware to work with it as I haven't heard enough people using it and they probably won't have the same configuration as me anyway. I guess my hope was I didn't have to use ASIO with the mixer and it would somehow provide audio inputs to my DAW in some other manner, a bit like how USB MIDI devices will show up within DAWs when connected, but I guess there is no way to mix and match interfaces like that in generic Windows.

KVRer
20 posts since 19 Jun, 2019

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:13 am

BertKoor wrote:
This isn't quite correct, or at least it needs some clarification.

Windows has no problem with using several ASIO devices at the same time. The problem is that AFAIK no DAW lets you use more than one ASIO device/driver (yet).*
But if you wanted to use multiple devices to record more inputs, you could open multiple DAWs and select a different device/driver in each, like: Reaper with ASIO device 1, Cubase with ASIO device 2, Ableton with ASIO device 3...

There's a caveat regarding soundcards from the same manufacturer. I don't know how Arturia's driver handles this, but it's possible that it would get confused if you tried to use two of their soundcards on the same PC.
OTOH, I've heard that certain RME soundcards can be used at the same time and the driver/Totalmix has a UI to handle this.

*In theory, a DAW could let you use several different ASIO drivers, but it would have to run a separate audio engine under the hood for every driver and you'd still have separate physical outputs and potentially out of sync audio or with added buffers/delays... it would be a bit messy and limited overall, so it's probably not worth adding this functionality for such a niche use case.

KVRian
769 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:19 am

You could also buy a Behringer UMC1820 to replace the Audiofuse. It costs slightly less than the Flow 8 and gives you 18 inputs which can also be extended with ADAT (26 inputs total). The converters and MIDAS preamps are pretty good on those Behringer interfaces.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”