Ujam BeatMaker NEMESIS

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In case you haven't seen it, Ujam has a new drum machine out and they are doing some sweet deals for the next week or so - $49 ($20 off) for everyone and $29 ($40 off) if you already own a v2 BeatMaker product. Running until March 7th. I grabbed it this morning and, at that price, I didn't even bother to listen to the demos. It is my 5th BeatMaker/Virtual Drummer VSTi and my 12th Ujam plugin overall, making theirs by far the fullest sub-folder in my plugins folder. I think the next closest would be 3, maybe 4. There is something in the way Ujam do things that just works for me. When I use Vice or Eden, it always sounds better than what I had before (Battery, Groove Agent, Impact XT, etc.).

Link to site - https://www.ujam.com/nemesis/

Intro video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzY6mvv ... e=youtu.be
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

This is a pretty snazzy sounding library. I generally like making this sort of thing myself but it could come in handy. I have a couple ujam things that were free with other purchases, but they turned out better than I expected. How in depth can you get editing individual hits?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I would probably buy this if I already owned a beatmaker, or if another beatmaker that seemed cool like Vice was on sale so I could buy that then cop that extra discount.

At $49 I would definitely have tried the demo first but I think I might still have ended up buying it. After all, it's probably the best suited of all of them to what we do.
Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:46 am This is a pretty snazzy sounding library. I generally like making this sort of thing myself but it could come in handy. I have a couple ujam things that were free with other purchases, but they turned out better than I expected. How in depth can you get editing individual hits?
Not all that much really. You can control volume, pitch and decay, plus there is a filter. You can also change the samples between kits. e.g. You can swap the hi tom in one kit for any of the hi toms in the other kits but you can't swap a hi tom for a low tom or a snare. But I think most of the magic happens in the master effects so playing with the sliders around the KIT and MIX sections is where you can really get things thumping.

When I got Eden for free, I thought it might be a handy tool for songwriting, just to get a quick beat in the timeline, but the more I've used them, the more confident I've become that they aren't just faster to work with, they actually do a better job than my other drum machines, even with just a single stereo out. I don't often use the preset patterns, unless I am just roughing something out, I mostly sequence the hits in Studio One. But I reckon the ultimate way to go might be a combination of both.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

What kind of music do you make with the UJAM stuff? I'm wondering if the UJAM stuff is suited to certain styles. Do you mix in live instruments like guitars? Are you purely electronic? Vocals? And so forth.

That UVI drum thing is on sale right now also, but since I never use Battery--I tend to use samples and place them manually in an audio track--I'm thinking I wouldn't use it. Or, have any of you transitioned from working with samples in a track to using these types of instruments and found it notably better?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Sounds good! Good value for $49.

Was tempted to get for $29 but decided against it after trying the Demo.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:17 am What kind of music do you make with the UJAM stuff? I'm wondering if the UJAM stuff is suited to certain styles. Do you mix in live instruments like guitars? Are you purely electronic? Vocals? And so forth.
I've being doing a lot of 80s covers and BM Vice has been perfect for that, although I've also used BM Dope on one of them (Human League's Being Boiled) and Virtual Drummer Heavy on a few of the rockier tracks. I think I used BM Eden on Simple Minds' I Travel, too. For our EBM/Industrial stuff, I use BM Eden and VD Heavy but I think this new one might be even better for that. That's the thing with them - there are different instruments for different styles.
That UVI drum thing is on sale right now also, but since I never use Battery--I tend to use samples and place them manually in an audio track--I'm thinking I wouldn't use it. Or, have any of you transitioned from working with samples in a track to using these types of instruments and found it notably better?
I can't see how it wouldn't be much easier and you get so much more control with less effort. I honestly couldn't imagine f**king around with individual samples in audio tracks, it would drive me nuts.

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:17 am What kind of music do you make with the UJAM stuff? I'm wondering if the UJAM stuff is suited to certain styles. Do you mix in live instruments like guitars? Are you purely electronic? Vocals? And so forth.

The UJAM stuff is quite varied and covers almost every style. They have everything from nylon and steel stringed guitars for singer-songwriter type stuff to rock drums to stuff like Nemesis and Carbon.

Personally I could never imagine manually dragging every drum hit into a track as a sample. What if you want to change some aspect of the sound? You'd have to edit hundreds of sample events. With a virtual drum machine, you can substitute the sample, tweak the filter, ADSR, volume etc. from one location, and it will change every sample in the song. I use the built-in samplers in Studio One, Impact XT and Presence XT, but any drum/sample plugin should have all the basic sample editing features.

Edit: Nevermind the automatic tagging, it managed to link to the wrong product every time I typed a product name :lol:

Yee-Ha! This thing is awesome. It's got some really good sounds, things we can use that don't sound like anything we've done before. The only real downside I've discovered is that two slots are wasted on some completely lame vocal samples. Overall, though, it's very, very nasty, in the best possible way. It's also the first of this line with a resizable GUI, which is nice.

"crazy beats"

i actually really dig most of the beatmakers, but the vocal samples on this one are a bit shameful.
i could probably rephrase that to be a bit less subjective, but ah...

Really liked this one. Those vocals samples sounds like they were leftovers from some hiphop-kits. They dont seem really fit to the theme. I have no use for vocal samples anyway so would be more interested about some percussion on those slots. Great kits, would like to have more of them but better to have have few good kits than million bad ones. Hope they do more of this kind of stuff in future.

glad to have this added to their line, nice sounds for 29 bucks.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:02 am Was tempted to get for $29 but decided against it after trying the Demo.
What are the reasons?
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Return to “Instruments”