Comb Filters That Key Follow Harmonically?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there comb filter effects that function so that for whatever note you play, the filter is adjusted harmonically to the fundamental of that note? I use LFOTool and UVI Shade, but I haven't noticed a way to achieve this. Please drop some knowledge on me, as I suspect I'm overlooking something.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

as with UVI shade
i already asked them to implement MIDI for stuff like this...
so let's hope they implement it

LogicX has something called "MIDI FX"
there you can insert a plugin called "Modifier"
assign as input "midi note number" and reassignt to "shade frequency" of shade's comb filter (by learning plugin event)
works pretty straightforward and easy...

i'm sure, other DAW's might have similar possibilities...

Lots of comb filters out there! Here are a few:

- Zebrify would be the main one to check out. Lots of control over damping and timbre, plus plenty of modulators. As a bonus, it includes Zebra2!
- Colour Copy and MFM also have keyfollowing modes.
- Melda has MComb for free and MCombMB in their paid line.
- Sugar Bytes Artillery includes a tuned delay line along with lots of other keytracking stuff.
- The Kilohearts Resonator is a comb filter (and their Comb filter is more of a resonator, if I recall correctly).

Some synths with comb filters have an FX version for processing external audio. Synthmaster is one. Absynth and Surge too, I think.

I'm on Ableton Live Suite 11. I'll search to see if there is such a midi effect option (maybe on Max for Live there is one).

Ya, maybe Zebra has a built in algorithm with its comb filter to key follow (I will check the manual). It does have a KeyScale parameter, but that leads to craziness if I tweak it (not sure how to use it).

I try to clarify more what I'm on about. When I use LFOTool's Cmb HL6+ on a saw sound, as I play notes up a scale, some notes have this or that harmonic diminished or enhanced--even the fundamental sometimes. Then I wonder, should such a filter have a key follow algorithm so that it adjusts for each note played and the comb filter effect has a same effect on the harmonics, relative to the fundamental--so that the spectrum image of the harmonics and partials is the same shape/proportion, for any given note played [Zebra 2 seems to do this with KeyScale in default position].

I don't think I've used a resonator that key follows harmonically, either. But maybe I just don't recall or realize it.

I'll have to check out Artillery.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

If you want to keytrack a comb from a sample: use a sampler in a modular environment, live vcv, voltage, Msf, Biotek2, Rapid, Falcon2, Icarus2, Pigments... and keytracking your comb filter. Melda comb should have a midi key tracking into the modulator section ( audio effect). Zebra2 as audio effect could do it too. Bitwig too...
Best
YY

As well as the already mentioned Uhe Zebrify effect, Reaktor blocks has a nice ZDF Comb Filter that has key tracking as part of its factory block library (it also has a lot of other tasty ZDF filters in the factory and user libraries).
41F8E058-72C8-493B-A448-60944D8D5714.jpeg
The Reaktor Euroreakt pack Comb Filter can be tuned using a pitch control and also has key tracking.
579972DB-DA77-4909-B130-DDF8CAF867B4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:38 am Ya, maybe Zebra has a built in algorithm with its comb filter to key follow (I will check the manual). It does have a KeyScale parameter, but that leads to craziness if I tweak it (not sure how to use it).

I try to clarify more what I'm on about. When I use LFOTool's Cmb HL6+ on a saw sound, as I play notes up a scale, some notes have this or that harmonic diminished or enhanced--even the fundamental sometimes. Then I wonder, should such a filter have a key follow algorithm so that it adjusts for each note played and the comb filter effect has a same effect on the harmonics, relative to the fundamental--so that the spectrum image of the harmonics and partials is the same shape/proportion, for any given note played [Zebra 2 seems to do this with KeyScale in default position].
Yup, KeyScale at the default (100) is what you want. As long as you're sending the same MIDI notes to both your saw synth and Zebrify, the timbre of the output should stay pretty consistent.

Return to “Effects”