The Favorite Analog Synthesizer Emulations

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can someone PM me when everyone has been mentioned? Thanks.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:58 am Enjoy whatever the f**k you like but don't try and suggest anything is objectively better about any of it, because it's not.
Here's what that was in response to....
pdxindy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:35 am Yeah, hardware synths with a 1:1 (or mostly) user interface are a kinesthetic pleasure to use.

No, actually, that's a flat-out lie. Here is the exchange, as it appears on the page -
BONES wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:58 am
pdxindy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:35 amhehehe... I enjoy my hardware synths. It doesn't matter how many times you say otherwise, I will still enjoy my hardware synths
Enjoy whatever the f**k you like but don't try and suggest anything is objectively better about any of it, because it's not.
My response to the quote you've posted looks like this -
BONES wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:15 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:13 amYeah, hardware synths with a 1:1 (or mostly) user interface are a kinesthetic pleasure to use. For me it has an immediacy that softsynths with midi controllers don't.
No they aren't, they're a giant PITA because the control positions do not reflect the current values.
All of which begs the question - is this a deliberate lie or are your cognitive skills so completely f**ked that you thought you were telling things as they were? Pretty sad, either way.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:24 amIn this case though, I figure only a very tiny percent of peeps would think that someone saying that hardware synths have some advantages is stupid, especially since the statement is true.
Perhaps if that person were able to provide any evidence but just saying it doesn't make it true. I'd also be very surprised if most people around here had any experience that would allow them to have an opinion one way or the other. Although I'm sure many would hope what you're saying was true, I am equally inclined to think they would be disappointed with the reality if they got to experience it, first hand.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

FB3100/3200/3300 (Korg PS-Series)
FB BucketPops (Korg Mini Pops) < Drumsynths are allowed right? :D
FB Fury800 (Korg Poly 800)
FB Tricent mkIII (Korg Trident)
FB Mono/Fury (Korg Mono/Poly)
FB Nabla (Korg Delta)
FB Strigma (Korg Sigma)
Manx Gigmate v2 (Radioshack Concertmate MG-1)
TAL U-NO-62 (Roland Juno 60)
MLVST PG8X (Roland JX8P)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Along with many already mentioned by others, I also love TimewARP2600 and ME80. Such incredible synths.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:36 am
pdxindy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:24 amIn this case though, I figure only a very tiny percent of peeps would think that someone saying that hardware synths have some advantages is stupid, especially since the statement is true.
Perhaps if that person were able to provide any evidence but just saying it doesn't make it true.
Some advantages are self evident and some have already been discussed and of course there is a lot of subjectivity as different people learn different ways, find a flow and productivity in different ways and so on.

Doesn't matter how many times you claim there is one right answer, you are just one person and the vast range of interests and experiences of countless people is more than enough evidence that you're wrong.

1. RePro (both)
2. TAL J-8
3. The Legend/Monark (tie here)
4. Diva
5. Obsession

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:25 am Tyrell N6 does have a nice sound but I find its range a bit limited. I use it now and again but it is something I could easily live without and, because I am consciously trying to use fewer instruments, I can't see myself using it in the future. But is it meant to be an emulation of something?
pdxindy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:01 amHardware synths are objectively better for some things.
Yet here you are, unable to think of even one.
And I'll say what I want.
No matter how stupid it makes you look?
audiouser720 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:21 amLockdown depression? Are you too lonely? Lack of sunshine? Whatever is the causer of your anger sir, there is always help.
What's that? Nobody in New South Wales has died from COVID 19 since June last year and only 53 people, in a state of 8 million, have died in total. Our per capita infection rate is lower the the death rate in the USA. We haven't been locked down since the middle of last year and, even then, I was still going to work every day and my life was largely unaffected.
Until that happens don't try and suggest that anything is objectively better about any of anything you don’t like, because it’s just your opinion only.
What "don't like"? I have lots of hardware and I like it just fine. I'd just never use it for any production work because it's simply not good enough compared to software.
Shell I even bother saying that hardware is better FOR MY PRODUCTION?
Not truthfully and without bias because that is objectively not the case. Because noise - line noise, mains hum, dodgy cables/connectors, etc. OK, maybe you deal with that but the fact is you have to deal with it if you choose to work with hardware. With a software set-up, you don't, which makes software better for anyone's production. So your way is not "better", for you or anyone else, it's just your personal preference. Why is that such a difficult distinction for people?
There are 7billion people on this spinning globe and we are all different (thanks fck) and we all like different things and there is nothing wrong with that?
There is when you try to justify it with bullshit.
You are not having a proper conversation or discussing opinions you are just saying that what you think it’s a state of fact and everyone who disagrees is an idiot.
If that's true, it's only because I am the only one being objective about it and you guys aren't holding up your end of the conversation. After all, I do own and use half-a-dozen hardware synths, and I have a new one on pre-order, so if there was even a tiny reason to use any of that stuff in my production work, either I'd have discovered it for myself by now - after all, I've been using hardware for 40 years now - or you guys might have been able to set me on the right path to find it. But that hasn't happened so what other conclusion would someone who wasn't an idiot come to?
Tyrelln6 is based but not directly emulated on a juno synth and the ACE on a Arp 2600 according8ng to URS, Bones. I also like Synth1 which is Emulated on a Nord Lead Synth

Jp6k
OB-Xd
Monark

surreal wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:41 pm Tyrelln6 is based but not directly emulated on a juno synth and the ACE on a Arp 2600 according8ng to URS, Bones. I also like Synth1 which is Emulated on a Nord Lead Synth
The whole Nord line is virtual analog to begin with (in fact, Clavia coined the term) so I'm not sure we can count an emulation of a Nord Lead as an analog emulation. But I've seen a lot of claims that Synth1 is another case where it's loosely based on a Nord Lead rather than an effort to emulate it precisely — so it's not an emulation of anything at all.
I hate signatures too.

surreal wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:41 pm Tyrelln6 is based but not directly emulated on a juno synth and the ACE on a Arp 2600 according8ng to URS, Bones.
I wouldn't call ACE an ARP 2600 emulation, it's its own thing. I think the quote you're refering is this one "It's what Urs calls a "pimped-up ARP 2600 using modules from a Roland SH-7 with (almost) the patching flexibility of an EMS VCS3." but I wouldn't interpret it as him saying it's an ARP 2600 emulation. More like it shares the same philosophy about some elements I guess.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:33 pm
surreal wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:41 pm Tyrelln6 is based but not directly emulated on a juno synth and the ACE on a Arp 2600 according8ng to URS, Bones. I also like Synth1 which is Emulated on a Nord Lead Synth
The whole Nord line is virtual analog to begin with (in fact, Clavia coined the term) so I'm not sure we can count an emulation of a Nord Lead as an analog emulation. But I've seen a lot of claims that Synth1 is another case where it's loosely based on a Nord Lead rather than an effort to emulate it precisely — so it's not an emulation of anything at all.
That's why I wondered why it went through as an emulation in the last OSC. But... I don't make the rules.

Regarding Tyrell N6: I tried to like it a lot of times, but, it just sounds cold and harsh to me. Each to its like. In terms of analog modelling, it's a great synth. I just don't happen to like its sound.

In general, Urs' synths have a general character you have to like. Hive or Bazille sound as cold to me as Tyrell N6. Diva is a bit better, at least when you don't use the Roland modules. ACE isn't half bad either, IIRC.

Halonmusic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:17 am MLVST PG8X (Roland JX8P)
:love: PG8X :love:

leave it to HAL to finally mention it!

and i still love arturia minimoogV
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

pdxindy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:56 pmSome advantages are self evident and some have already been discussed
No, every point you have attempted to make has been easily refuted. Hardware doesn't sound better, it is in no way easier or more convenient to work with and it is severely limited compared to software.
Doesn't matter how many times you claim there is one right answer, you are just one person and the vast range of interests and experiences of countless people is more than enough evidence that you're wrong.
Again, every point in favour has been refuted, it all counts for nothing. There is only one correct answer - use hardware because you want to. Any attempt to justify it is bullshit.

Return to “Instruments”