Ujam BeatMaker NEMESIS

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
32188 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:20 pm

I like some of the MIDI but wasn't really blown away by the sounds. It's a taste thing. Not sure I should ''collect'' another plugin, just because it's a good deal.
Hi-de-Hi!

KVRian
1322 posts since 14 Apr, 2016 from Germany

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:32 pm

Yeah, what i like with the Ujam stuff is if you already have one (and assumed you like the workflow) it really depends on whether you like the selected sounds or not.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

KVRist
264 posts since 19 Jul, 2005

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:32 pm

I have Dope, so I took a listen to this since it would only be $29. I like some of the grooves, but the sound is not my style.

But I don't particularly like UJAM's drum instruments, especially the Beatmakers. I always multi-out drums, and the multi-out routing is limited. Individual or stereo only, so no way to route hi-hats all to a single output, for example. I end up having to create a hi-hat bus in my DAW.

No hi-hat choke is a turn-off as well.
The groove baby, the groove...

GRRRRRRR!

Topic Starter

11212 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:53 pm

I always used to multi out because it felt like I needed to but it doesn't feel like that with the Beatmakers so I don't bother any more. i.e. I adapted my workflow, rather than try to shoe-horn something into my existing workflow. The thing is, when I first got Eden I had the same attitude as you and I thought it might be good for getting a quick beat going while I was song writing, and maybe something we could use live, but I always thought I would go back to Battery or Groove Agent when it came to album production. But with the newer instruments and the Version 2 improvements, I now believe I can do everything with these and not bother with the tedium of Battery any more, so that's what I'm going to do (or at least try).
mladi wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:32 pm
Yeah, what i like with the Ujam stuff is if you already have one (and assumed you like the workflow) it really depends on whether you like the selected sounds or not.
I think they go deeper than that, which is what I like about them. The master processing goes a long way to making them sound really good with almost no effort at all. Every time I bring a song over to Studio One from Cubase or Orion, all I have to do to make Eden or Vice or Heavy sound at least as good as Battery (or whatever I was using for drums) is add Puncher and some EQ (usually a low boost and high cut). So I can match what probably took me hours to get just right with Battery or Groove Agent in just a couple of minutes with these things.

They always sound so clean and tight and having limited resources makes it much easier, not harder, to get something great out of them. Where Battery's drum library is so vast, and the quality so variable, these machines offer laser focus to speed up the process. I often find there are two or three kits that will get the job done and I almost end up choosing one at random. It's great stuff.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | Thorn, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, JP6K, Hexeract, Vacuum Pro, TRK-01, Knifonium, Equator, VG Carbon, VG Iron | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket.

KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:05 am

mladi wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:32 pm
It's amazing how persuasive a few DeluxeBucks at AudioDeluxe can be. :) Guess I changed my mind. A good deal just turned into a great deal.
Hi-de-Hi!

KVRAF
4197 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:33 am

Oh shit BONES and his packed Ujam folder are suspended.... :hihi:
Does anyone else know;
Do all the Ujam plugins have the drag-n-drop midi now?
ImageImageImageImage

tq
KVRian
786 posts since 23 Apr, 2003

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:28 am

Isn't Bones suspended on a regular basis, as some kind of KVR folklore thing? Sometimes, he's just a bit too aggressive, even for being him. :lol:

I bought this one, couldn't resist the intro price. It's certainly a very narrow genre it serves, but it features Borg graphics, so how can you go wrong? :borg:

KVRian
789 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:29 am

Anyone else having problems downloading the demo?
When I fill out the form and click "Start Free Trial" on their website, I just get an error saying "There was an error submitting your trial download request. Please try again!". I've tried different email addresses, different browsers and disabled any ad blockers.

Edit: Finally got it to work by using my phone :scared: Really weird...

GRRRRRRR!

Topic Starter

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:42 pm

highkoo wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:33 am
Do all the Ujam plugins have the drag-n-drop midi now?
I wouldn't have a clue, it's not something I would ever use. TBH, I don't find their patterns very useful.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | Thorn, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, JP6K, Hexeract, Vacuum Pro, TRK-01, Knifonium, Equator, VG Carbon, VG Iron | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket.

KVRAF
4197 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Post Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:00 pm

Weird. The ability to drag and edit the patterns is the only thing making these interesting to me.
So you just make midi patterns from scratch with the kits?
ImageImageImageImage

GRRRRRRR!

Topic Starter

Post Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Correct. Sometimes I'll use a basic included pattern as a bed, to save the tedium of sequencing hi-hats and stuff, but I'll add to it and do all the variations myself.

KVRAF
2484 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 am

Aloysius wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:20 pm
I like some of the MIDI but wasn't really blown away by the sounds. It's a taste thing. Not sure I should ''collect'' another plugin, just because it's a good deal.
Yep. A bargain on something you don't want isn't a bargain.

KVRist
61 posts since 3 Sep, 2005 from Venezuela

Post Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:31 pm

UJAM NEMESIS is amazing!
Last edited by Jazzguitar on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:49 pm

dblock wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 am
Aloysius wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:20 pm
Yep. A bargain on something you don't want isn't a bargain.
It's amazing how persuasive a few DeluxeBucks at AudioDeluxe can be. :) Guess I changed my mind. A good deal just turned into a great deal.
Hi-de-Hi!

GRRRRRRR!

Topic Starter

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:09 pm

I finally started using this on the weekend, as I move a few more NOVAkILL songs across to Studio One, and it is really, really good. My only wish is that instead of the lame vocal samples, they had put in a few klanging metal hits. But I can always add a second channel for that stuff, with ImpactXT or Battery.

Return to “Instruments”