Contest: February - Gossip "The results are in"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pur boeuf wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:34 pm yes
from "pur boeuf"
I just took some parts of these midi tracks.
my main instrument is REAKTOR ( carbon2 )
for the boom boom its just" BATTERY (NI isntruments )

https://soundcloud.com/dongle-doc/lune-rousse
@pur boeuf
We cannot download your track.
Please set it as downloadable, thanks

Hello! Here are some capsule reviews (I assume those are still a thing?). Please don't internalize any of these comments -- they are just my opinion, there is no accounting for taste, and at the end of the day, what do I know anyway?

PS -- does anyone know where this MIDI file came from? Is it like The Ring or Sonic.exe or something, where it's some kind of cursed object that no one knows the origin of?

Mister Natural: Great use of the original MIDI files, giving them a bespoke feel (and the chord progressions are really well thought out, adding to the flow), and they really make this track stand on its own. I like the way this develops, too.

Laguna Rising: Kudos for playing the MIDI files on an actual guitar (and hardware synths too, presumably)! I like the production of this track, especially the "middle 8" (or 16 or whatever). You're lucky that you have a working copy of Camel Space, still. I miss those plugs. :(

The Noodlist: Good use of the original MIDI files. Nice lyrics and production on the vocals and guitar, what electric piano is that?

Seva Randeep Sing: I really like the feel of this. You were able to take the MIDI files and make an actual good track out of it that stands on its own, with its own vibe. Great uses of sweeps and FX.

GMoneh: Very nice synthywave feel to this. And good use of the MIDI files while adding some extra interest in the chord progressions.

Hellfog: Good use of the MIDI file, turning it into something way different. The extreme distortion isn't my cup of tea, but works well enough in the context of the track, and makes me appreciate the synthy bits which follow. Love that fade!

Farkular: I like the synth sounds, nice use of white noise and blips and panning. Good feel. This could be the theme of a new Star Trek show on CBS All Access.

pur boeuf: I actually like the noisy bits here, and I think they work very well. Drum production seems out of context, just a little, with the rest of the vibe. I liked this.

Harvon: I like the accordion and the dancy feel of this track, as well as the improvisations on the MIDI files. The synthpop vocals are nice too.

Wild Parsons: I like how this song starts off low fi and then goes into a warped version of ... some kind of Italian Western?

Beanpole: Always nice to see free fx, DAWs and synths show up in this contest. Sounds great!

Eauson: Thanks for not deleting this! I rather enjoyed it. Always good to see Synth1 airwindows plugs show up, as well.

Saffran: Good adherence to the theme (and use of GM MIDI sounds, which takes me back). Could have used just a bit more development, on the arrangement.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

DrApostropheX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:36 pm The Noodlist: Good use of the original MIDI files. Nice lyrics and production on the vocals and guitar, what electric piano is that?

Studio One 3 Multi-instrument bounced on to separate tracks.
Rhodes & MaiTaiPad combined
Becomes Rhodes MKI when bounced to audio and separated.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Failed again :cry:
I never seem to get anything done these days. :dog:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Just noted the 3-3 voting deadline…
Was already panicking “oh shit it's the end of the month already and I still have to download all entries :o

wow, great trax fellas nice works
first listen run-thru and I'm breathless at all the talent shown

fwiw, I'm interested to note how many(of us)went instrument with pianos(E & Acou) for this exercise
-how many went vocals
-how many(also)went with a jam-out at the end vs fadeout
-how you cats handled all the dynamics inside the midi files(I found that very challenging)

thanks also for your notes DrAx
I used to leave notes in here - one or two guys found them somehow offensive so it's easier if I don't. I figger if anyone wants my notes, they'll ask
peace
Last edited by Mister Natural on Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:56 pm -how you cats handled all the dynamics inside the midi files(I found that very challenging)
Levelled the velocities in the midi editor. Automation could also be used.

Laguna Rising wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:26 pm @pur boeuf
We cannot download your track.
Please set it as downloadable, thanks
Yeah.
I download and batch level all entries to -16 LUFS with MLoudnessAnalyzer. Louder might be perceived as better.

Mister Natural wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:56 pm thanks also for your notes DrAx
I used to leave notes in here - one or two guys found them somehow offensive so it's easier if I don't. I figger if anyone wants my notes, they'll ask
peace
Second that, thanks for the notes.

Mr. Natural, please share your notes. To me, at least, that's one of the most educational parts of this monthly contest exercise. How to get better if you don't know what you're doing wrong? Yes, people's notes are not always gonna be flattering (art is subjective), but, good or bad, I always enjoy reading what others thought about my tracks (and also compare their notes with mine about other's tracks. It's always interesting to see how someone's favorite is someone else's trash).

"Deja Vu : med/slow tempo - very cool percussive textures intro and outro - midi files slightly fractured into new lines, same simple harmony(several participants took the midi lines literally; others cracked them into slightly different melodies/harm)
here's a piano lead setting into the distance with deliberate lo-fi, distant feel, melancholy - repetitive horn line could be modulated(evolve)from bar to bar - bass instrument kinda flat(without texture/variance) - well-thought out C section - love the use of uTonic - perfect drums for this"
2 1/2 stars(max 3 poss)

cheers
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Thanks, Mr. Natural and Dr. ApostropheX for the feedback, very appreciated.

Following my own advice, here are my notes. As always, these are just opinions.

As a side note of my grading logic, I assigned an extra weight to those tracks where parts of the original MIDI were discernible. There were some otherwise worthy tracks where I had to unfortunately knock some points because I could not find traces of the original tracks. This wasn't a Free For All month after all.

Farlukar - Tique: The original MIDI is there, alright, but I like the liberties you took with it. It's not distortion… rather… what? Detuning? Anyway, original take. Very short, though, it was gone just as I was getting into it.

Wild Parsons - Midigate: I lake the take with the strummed guitar, giving the track a less electronic feel than others. Not a big fan of the detuning of the main riff, but overall, a quality track.

Saffran - : This case is actually the opposite of many others, in the sense that it's too faithful to the original MIDI, to the point that there's not much new or original.

Seva Randeep Sing - zheme From Eli: Wow… very chill and mellow. Great synth sounds too, and great production. Everything is on point: the rhythm, the lead, the harmonies, the sweeps. Good job.

Dr. ApostropheX - My First Demo: I like how you wrote lyrics to the main melody riff of the MIDI file, although they feel a bit forced at some points. An original take to the theme, as for most, using the "MIDI" meant going with an instrumental riff.

Harvon - Alien: At first, this sounded a bit "computerized" to me, but then I found myself tapping my foot to the groove! I have grown to quite like the feel! With the bass line and the improvisation, it actually feels quite funky!

Laguna Rising - Slip in Mud: That's the MIDI riff, but played on guitar, right? Cool. Interesting. Well produced track overall, very organic with the addition of actual instruments.

The Noodlist - Mistakes: Sweet acoustic guitar riff. I don't know if this a real guitar or a VST, but sounds very genuine. I think I recognize the chord progression of the MIDI file, if anything, so I'll give you a pass on the compliance department.

Eauson - Midi: A bit repetitive for me at the beginning. More than 1 minute in and things haven't changed yet. I know, that's a staple of EDM, but what is good for dancing does not necessarily works for listening. Also, couldn't recognize any part of the original MIDI file here.

Beanpole - Cheesy Wotsits: Great synth sounds here. The pads and the leads… Not as big fan of the drum line, felt a little frantic to me, but overall, a great electronic track. Content of the MIDI file is front and center throughout the whole track.

Mister Natural - Never Been: It was interesting using the main riff from the MIDI as background rather than the main focus of the track, which is what most of the rest of us did. That certainly gave much more liberties (like making it a lyrical track) without violating the spirit of the contest.

Hellfog - Midi Universe: Too much noise for my taste in the first part. I could recognize the bass line from the MIDI in there though. I like when things calm down with the noise, but then it resumes.

Pur boeuf - Lune Rousse: I could not recognize any part from the MIDI here. Cool track, though.

GMoneh wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:00 am The Noodlist - Mistakes: Sweet acoustic guitar riff. I don't know if this a real guitar or a VST, but sounds very genuine. I think I recognize the chord progression of the MIDI file, if anything, so I'll give you a pass on the compliance department.
It's me playing my nylon strung classical guitar but using a pick. I keep my nails short these days.

The bass is from the supplied midi track "sy.bass4.echo-1-16.stac" tempo dropped fron 125 to 86 BPM - higher notes are removed then lowered 2 octaves and put through a distorted bass instrument.
The transformation is below.
Created bassline.

Thanks for the feedback.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GMoneh wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:00 am
Eauson - Midi: A bit repetitive for me at the beginning. More than 1 minute in and things haven't changed yet. I know, that's a staple of EDM, but what is good for dancing does not necessarily works for listening. Also, couldn't recognize any part of the original MIDI file here.
It’s basically all teh midi notes compacted down into this loop
Sorry, I didn’t realise it had to be identifiable ;)
:tu:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:51 am
GMoneh wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:00 am Eauson - Midi: A bit repetitive for me at the beginning. More than 1 minute in and things haven't changed yet. I know, that's a staple of EDM, but what is good for dancing does not necessarily works for listening. Also, couldn't recognize any part of the original MIDI file here.
It’s basically all teh midi notes compacted down into this loop
Sorry, I didn’t realise it had to be identifiable ;) :tu:
It seems my contribution was too identifiable. :tu:
You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. :D

DrApostropheX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:36 pm
PS -- does anyone know where this MIDI file came from? Is it like The Ring or Sonic.exe or something, where it's some kind of cursed object that no one knows the origin of?
AIVA, As noted here

Return to “Music Cafe”