XLN DS-10 how is it? alternatives? useles??

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRian
1016 posts since 17 Nov, 2010 from UK

Post Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:51 am

malachy5 wrote:Is this the same as the TS built into Addictive Drums or an extended version of it?
I believe it is extended - the Classic setting is the AD version, Smooth and Natural are DS-10 specific.

Picked this up myself during the sale as it "just works" - kicks are punchier, snares are snappier and on the drum buss, the whole thing is just more alive. For the price I paid, it really did fall in to the "no brainer" category.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

KVRist
40 posts since 1 Oct, 2005

Post Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:11 am

Don't overlook Eareckon's TransReckon and Boz Digital Labs Transgressor. I've tried nearly all of them and these are the only two I use at this point... but everyone has different taste and needs. I tend to like more control and flexibility.

KVRAF
6355 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:07 pm

After more testing, I just can't bring myself to purchase. There are just not enough times I would consider using this over other transient shapers. The mojo feature just doesn't do enough to justify owning *for me* since I have other tools for exactly these purposes.

Still, if you don't have competing products, it is indeed still in that no-brainer territory for $20.

KVRist
181 posts since 8 Nov, 2014

Post Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:23 pm

cprompt wrote:
malachy5 wrote:Is this the same as the TS built into Addictive Drums or an extended version of it?
I believe it is extended - the Classic setting is the AD version, Smooth and Natural are DS-10 specific.

Picked this up myself during the sale as it "just works" - kicks are punchier, snares are snappier and on the drum buss, the whole thing is just more alive. For the price I paid, it really did fall in to the "no brainer" category.
Thanks for the info, I picked it up anyway, agree with the 'just works' comment, I have other tools but for drums this is so quick to dial in! Ozone/Neutron also has an excellent TS, I'm surprised no-one mentions that one, multi-band and same kind of set of algos like smooth etc, very flexible but you can end up doing a lot of tweaking. The clipper is nice in DS.

KVRer
8 posts since 10 Nov, 2012

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:57 am

I do a comparison of DS vs transient master - in some areas DS is good, but overall I tend to turn to TM for many (non drum related use cases).
https://youtu.be/PNZZKDsP2VY

Return to “Effects”