Air Music Technology's Drum Synth 500

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Double post...

I checked it out some over the weekend -- mostly the "kits"/presets using the included MIDI. The way they incorporated the included samples is really bad in a lot of instances. I muted them more often than not. The synthesized percussion sounds were my favorite.

Tried the demo. Crashes for me on Windows 10.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Stratum also crashes for me on Windows 10.

The full version of DS 500 is running fine here on Windows 10 at least in FL Studio. Haven't tried it in any other DAW yet.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I noticed an issue using it in Studio One where the DS 500 interface didn't update to reflect the change that was made. For instance, when changing "kits"/presets, the name wouldn't update even though the change was made. Also, the solo/mute buttons are supposed to turn blue when activated, but didn't do so consistently. I had to close and reopen the plugin window to force a refresh.

Teksonik wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:28 pm The full version of DS 500 is running fine here on Windows 10 at least in FL Studio. Haven't tried it in any other DAW yet.
I use Ableton Live but even the strand alone version crashes for me.

My last gift to AiR... :(

- Mario

telecharge wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:40 pm I noticed an issue using it in Studio One where the DS 500 interface didn't update to reflect the change that was made. For instance, when changing "kits"/presets, the name wouldn't update even though the change was made. Also, the solo/mute buttons are supposed to turn blue when activated, but didn't do so consistently. I had to close and reopen the plugin window to force a refresh.
I get this exact behaviour in Reaper, always ok if I close/reopen the GUI. Works/authorises fine otherwise (Win10).

Aloysius wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:46 pm
Teksonik wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:28 pm The full version of DS 500 is running fine here on Windows 10 at least in FL Studio. Haven't tried it in any other DAW yet.
I use Ableton Live but even the strand alone version crashes for me.
This might be worth a try, if you haven't already. Uninstall the plugin(s), then go into iLok License Manager and deactivate the plugin(s). Install again, but this time don't put in your iLok ID and authorize to the computer.

Might try that later on. I already tried uninstalling iLok and reinstalling. I had a feeling it might be related to copy protection.

Thanks ...

Since both GaryG and I are seeing GUI issues in different hosts, it might be related to that, too. I would check to see if there is an update for your computer's graphics driver.

I don't know if you guys have seen this thread where Simon is asking for beta testers for Air plugins:

viewtopic.php?f=265&t=561389&p=8043872#p8043872

He said...."This update is a large part to resolve the issues that people have seen with iLok as well as other performance improvements".

I installed DS 500 on a spare Win 10 system just to use if for testing but so far Simon has not responded to my second PM. I'd urge caution testing on your studio computer or a system that you don't want to risk damaging.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:45 pm I'd urge caution testing on your studio computer or a system that you don't want to risk damaging.
It would be interesting to see the percentage of people running into severe computer crashes (sort of the percentage getting ill from covid vaccines), so that one can make an informed decision.

If these issues indeed relate to iLok/PACE, then it's a real shame. After all, I'd say Air loses more money on using iLok (since many detest it) than if it there'd be no copy protection at all (save for a typical username/pw combo).
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:20 pm It would be interesting to see the percentage of people running into severe computer crashes (sort of the percentage getting ill from covid vaccines), so that one can make an informed decision.
I imagine the percentage is pretty small but when it comes to my DAW I'd rather not take chances.

If something bricks my test computer I'll just reinstall Windows or throw Linux on it. There's nothing on it to lose.

With the vaccine the reward may well out weigh the risk. I'm waiting until May or June to see how things are going but I do plan on getting the Moderna variant if available.
SparkySpark wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:20 pmIf these issues indeed relate to iLok/PACE, then it's a real shame. After all, I'd say Air loses more money on using iLok (since many detest it) than if it there'd be no copy protection at all (save for a typical username/pw combo).
I have to agree. With Air routinely selling their plugins for $1, $5, or $10 their argument for still using iLok doesn't really hold water.

I'm of the opinion they would sell far more copies if they rid themselves of iLok as I get the impression it is keeping some people from buying Air plugins.

But you never know. It's impossible to calculate lost sales due to piracy versus lost sales due to an unpopular copy protection scheme. I'm not even sure the Air plugins haven't been cracked yet as I don't follow such things or participate in piracy.

The disconcerting thing for me is the realization that Pace iLok gets its hooks so far and so deep into your system that it can cause serious stability issues for some users.

If I were to build a new DAW today I don't think I would infect it with Pace even though I would lose quite a few plugins beyond the many Air plugins I own.

There are just too many alternatives available on the market these days with non-intrusive copy protection methods to put up with C/P schemes that could brick your computer no matter how small that risk is.... :shrug:

Return to “Instruments”