Ableton Live 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

leeleema wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:04 am Aye, Live 11 is great. I always find the workflow improvements in each update much more interesting and useful than anything else.
I totally agree. I've been pretty impressed with the update and Live continues to inspire me to make music. Really amazing DAW.

Possible bug? Try this: in arrangement view split a midi clip in two and try and edit/have all velocities of the two clips showing in the midi window. You can see the midi notes but can only see and edit velocities of those notes by selecting the bars at the top of the clip. I can't work out the reason for this oddity

Here's another: audio clip with gain envelope recorded from session into arrangement. In the clip, you can no longer move the start point to the left if the gain envelope is at its maximum at the start point. Changing the gain envelope to zero allows you to move the start point to the left. That doesn't make any sense so I assume it's a bug. What were all the Beta testers doing again? :)

leeleema wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:01 pm Possible bug? Try this: in arrangement view split a midi clip in two and try and edit/have all velocities of the two clips showing in the midi window. You can see the midi notes but can only see and edit velocities of those notes by selecting the bars at the top of the clip. I can't work out the reason for this oddity
Has nothing to do with splitting. You simply cannot adjust the velocity of multiple clips simultaneously.

Rivanni wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:09 pm
leeleema wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:01 pm Possible bug? Try this: in arrangement view split a midi clip in two and try and edit/have all velocities of the two clips showing in the midi window. You can see the midi notes but can only see and edit velocities of those notes by selecting the bars at the top of the clip. I can't work out the reason for this oddity
Has nothing to do with splitting. You simply cannot adjust the velocity of multiple clips simultaneously.
Do you know why this is? You can see the notes of multiple clips at once so why on earth does it only show velocity for the currently highlighted one?

leeleema wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:23 pm
Do you know why this is? You can see the notes of multiple clips at once so why on earth does it only show velocity for the currently highlighted one?
But why do you want to do this?! You can either change the velocity for each clip or if they are located beside each other, merge them first then select the notes you want and change their velocity.

EnGee wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 pm
But why do you want to do this?! You can either change the velocity for each clip or if they are located beside each other, merge them first then select the notes you want and change their velocity.
Seems odd, don't you think? You can edit multiple notes, from different clips but not their corresponding velocities, which are in fact hidden from view. No biggie, just odd. Obviously the workaround is to merge clips, but then you lose the flexibilty of moving a labelled clip around in the arrangement

leeleema wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:19 pm
Seems odd, don't you think? You can edit multiple notes, from different clips but not their corresponding velocities, which are in fact hidden from view. No biggie, just odd. Obviously the workaround is to merge clips, but then you lose the flexibilty of moving a labelled clip around in the arrangement
Well, maybe they will do that in a new version! Not only clips in the same tracks but maybe a region of multiple clips vertically. Personally, I don't mind editing velocities, one clip at a time ;)

Just a general note: if something doesn't work as the documentation says, it's a bug.
If something isn't documented and doesn't work that's a missing feature.
If something does work and isn't documented, that's a 'bug' (error) in the documentation.
If something isn't working as it should and that is documented, you're out of luck :D

leeleema wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:19 pm
EnGee wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 pm
Seems odd, don't you think? You can edit multiple notes, from different clips but not their corresponding velocities, which are in fact hidden from view. No biggie, just odd. Obviously the workaround is to merge clips, but then you lose the flexibility of moving a labelled clip around in the arrangement
Yes, it is odd. You can edit multiple clips as far as the notes themselves are concerned, but if you want to adjust the velocity, you can't. Inconsistent.
But Ableton says it's meant this way and if I want to see it differently I have to make a feature request.

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 am Just a general note: if something doesn't work as the documentation says, it's a bug.
If something isn't documented and doesn't work that's a missing feature.
If something does work and isn't documented, that's a 'bug' (error) in the documentation.
If something isn't working as it should and that is documented, you're out of luck :D
Hmm, it is documented that a spider isn't a bug.... :hihi:

Ha, so acknowledging a bug makes it a feature :lol: . However a crucial part of a feature is that it is is actually useful. Hiding velocity when multiple clips are selected serves no useful purpose as far as I can see. Also the new midi clip 'focus' feature makes it glaringly obvious that the velocity issue is a bug, whether its been acknowledged or not. But like I said, no biggie :)

Opening several instances of Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork is crashing Live 11 regularly. Not sure if that is a Blue Cat or Live problem.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I had a crash earlier trying to open a really basic project that I use for simple live guitar and vocals with Waves CLA Unplugged Stereo on the guitar and Waves CLA Vocals Stereo on the vocal track.
This was a Live 10 project. However if I started fresh in Live 11 and recreated the track setup it worked fine. A bit odd.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Editing velocities from multiple clips seems like a logical extension of the present functionality. Probably just didn't make it into the first release.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”