One Synth Challenge #145: Kairatune by Futucraft (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like this one, too. Wish it had some more presets. And the preset handling/organization isn't exactly clear to me. But really interesting sound.

SeBaer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:18 am
schiing wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:38 am Just getting started, so apologies if I missed something obvious: No env retrig?
In the oscillator section is a button called TRIG. That should do the trick. For reference, check the manual. https://futucraft.com/download/kairatun ... ce-manual/

Edit: or maybe it doesn't do the trick. The manual doesn't seem to be too clear about that. I can't try at the moment...
TRIG in the oscillator section concerns the resetting of oscillators, but not envelopes.

ELEX wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:00 am
SeBaer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:18 am
schiing wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:38 am Just getting started, so apologies if I missed something obvious: No env retrig?
In the oscillator section is a button called TRIG. That should do the trick. For reference, check the manual. https://futucraft.com/download/kairatun ... ce-manual/

Edit: or maybe it doesn't do the trick. The manual doesn't seem to be too clear about that. I can't try at the moment...
TRIG in the oscillator section concerns the resetting of oscillators, but not envelopes.
Yeah, I didn't find a setting for it. Ah, well, I guess we'll figure out a way to work around it - a little less live playing and a little more mouse tweaking!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

This will be my first synth challenge and I was wondering, if it is also allowed to use stock presets of the synth on top of your own ?
Rules were not clear enough for me about that. And is it, for example, allowed to use cloudseed, a free reverb, as it also has a lot of modulation built in (but it is still a reverb) ?

AdamButt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:31 pm This will be my first synth challenge and I was wondering, if it is also allowed to use stock presets of the synth on top of your own ?
Rules were not clear enough for me about that. And is it, for example, allowed to use cloudseed, a free reverb, as it also has a lot of modulation built in (but it is still a reverb) ?
You are allowed to use any stock preset, the restriction is only on paid/commercial presets for synths.

You can use any free reverb, but are not supposed to use the modulation section/parameters of the reverb.

exponent1 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:52 pm
AdamButt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:31 pm This will be my first synth challenge and I was wondering, if it is also allowed to use stock presets of the synth on top of your own ?
You are allowed to use any stock preset, the restriction is only on paid/commercial presets for synths.

You can use any free reverb, but are not supposed to use the modulation section/parameters of the reverb.
Thanks a lot, now everything is clear to me :)
This will be fun !

Well, I suppose, not the exaggerated reverb modulation, just so it won't become a chorus effect. Subtle modulation in the reverb is naturally okay... otherwise no OSC track could ever sound passable, haha. :hihi:

WELL, dear me, I actually happen to have the old vst2 64bit version and never even looked at it, hahaha. Bizarre. Well cool. Guess making snares and such will be a wee bit challenging, but it's a neat little synth.
It does get a bit CPU spiky for me here, so we'll see how many instances it can have without freezing tracks (which I never ever do...never ever did...but should at some point consider, haha).

At least this thing kind of feels decently controllable as opposed to last month's rand. :uhuhuh:

Taron, I agree with all of the above. I finally started experimenting with freezing tracks about 48 hours ago. Guess there's a time and a place for everything, eh?

Yes, Kairatune is a gigantic breath of fresh air after last month's utter abomination of a synth. Rand is in the only VST to date that has crashed my DAW, and, coupled with the fact that is profoundly uninspiring and ridiculously clunky, I'm not at all sad to see it go. Frankly, I can't remember the last time I was so excited for the month of March!

This synth is very interesting. I like a lot of little quirks about it but I think its gonna be a bit challenging for me to put together a full production given my synth and musical aesthetic. That said, I think it’s powerful and full featured enough for me to make it work and I’ll definitely try my best to embrace what it does best.
I will say that I think there are a lot of people in this competition that this is right up their alley and I think they’re gonna absolutely kill it this month.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:50 pm...
you should all know, we are in the presence of royalty! a man that has made countless sound packs for nearly every synth on the market! welcome back, @wagtunes!

z.prime wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:49 am
wagtunes wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:50 pm...
you should all know, we are in the presence of royalty! a man that has made countless sound packs for nearly every synth on the market! welcome back, @wagtunes!
Royalty? I wouldn't go that far. I did however, after 44 years, finally get a group to record one of my songs for their album which was released yesterday. I'm still pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.

Anyway, I haven't done one of these OSC's in a while so maybe I can find the time to tackle one. I'm in the middle of a Marvel movie marathon so it may be tough to get one in this month. If not, I'll shoot for next month.

Taron wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:33 am otherwise no OSC track could ever sound passable, haha. :hihi:
cough,saturators and compressioncough! Has anyone looked at an oscillioscope after one of these? Way more change than modulation imho!

That said, I'll be using CamelCrusher this osc lol.

Is there a good trick someone knows for noise?

functionform wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:07 am Is there a good trick someone knows for noise?
There's an LFO (or three) that go up pretty high as well as a built-in EQ. Should be able to squeeze something out of it :tu:

Maybe a dumb question, but how can I save a preset in this plugin?

Return to “Instruments”