One Synth Challenge #145: Kairatune by Futucraft (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kanduvisla wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:21 am Maybe a dumb question, but how can I save a preset in this plugin?
It's not a dumb question. I've seen it explained, but I still don't understand and I can't do it. I can make a kick in 5 minutes, but I've spent a lot longer trying to save it without success.

Double Tap wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:14 am
kanduvisla wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:21 am Maybe a dumb question, but how can I save a preset in this plugin?
It's not a dumb question. I've seen it explained, but I still don't understand and I can't do it. I can make a kick in 5 minutes, but I've spent a lot longer trying to save it without success.
Short answer: you don't ! There is no 'save' or 'save as...' ; you have create a new one first by right-clicking the preset area and either choosing 'new' or copy/paste an existing preset, then work on that. And beware...there is no edit buffer: working on any selected preset changes it, so don't forget to copy/paste first when you want to derive from existing ones ! ( Factory content can be restored though.) Also, to get your presets to load in a new instance it is necessary to 'set as default' ( three-bar menu ) for each created preset. Or fiddle around with load/import/export. It's a brilliant system ! :lol:

Couple of Percs
Broken snare & clap
Don’t know how useful they are?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

ELEX wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:39 am
Short answer: you don't ! There is no 'save' or 'save as...' ; you have create a new one first by right-clicking the preset area and either choosing 'new' or copy/paste an existing preset, then work on that. And beware...there is no edit buffer: working on any selected preset changes it, so don't forget to copy/paste first when you want to derive from existing ones ! ( Factory content can be restored though.) Also, to get your presets to load in a new instance it is necessary to 'set as default' ( three-bar menu ) for each created preset. Or fiddle around with load/import/export. It's a brilliant system ! :lol:
Thanks God for Studio One presets - click>name>store! No custom preset management in your DAW?
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

So in Reaper (windows eight), I'm not able to use automation envelopes - I can draw them in manually but they do not have any effect whatsoever.

I can use the mouse to modulate them in real time (during playback monitoring), but no dice on the envelope. Maybe I can record the output and play it in live but that's far from ideal.

I'll also have to admit to not having a clue about what exactly most of the parameters actually mean - the manual isn't very forthcoming either.

The B00 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:07 am So in Reaper (windows eight), I'm not able to use automation envelopes - I can draw them in manually but they do not have any effect whatsoever.

I can use the mouse to modulate them in real time (during playback monitoring), but no dice on the envelope. Maybe I can record the output and play it in live but that's far from ideal.

I'll also have to admit to not having a clue about what exactly most of the parameters actually mean - the manual isn't very forthcoming either.
Try https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2051/
Can be used by right clicking
Not the best solution, but you can get some nice subtleties :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

The B00 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:07 am So in Reaper (windows eight), I'm not able to use automation envelopes - I can draw them in manually but they do not have any effect whatsoever.
You could try ReaControlMIDI to automate CC values, with MIDI learn to assign those values to the synth parameters.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Hmmm... Thanks for the suggestions @ Eauson & Frogsinpants

I'm trying both of those now to much perplexity - I'm not convinced the MIDI learn function is working.
I set up CC stepper on an empty track, setting sequence 1 to CC#14 - which should be the Drive (amp env) - I also linked it to the Osc wave - but the only effect it has is preventing me from manually moving those parameters with my mouse - there is no change in sound at all.
Same deal with ReaControlMIDI.

I replace the synth with Vital and use the midi learn and it functions exactly as I expect.

The B00 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:00 pm Hmmm... Thanks for the suggestions @ Eauson & Frogsinpants

I'm trying both of those now to much perplexity - I'm not convinced the MIDI learn function is working.
I set up CC stepper on an empty track, setting sequence 1 to CC#14 - which should be the Drive (amp env) - I also linked it to the Osc wave - but the only effect it has is preventing me from manually moving those parameters with my mouse - there is no change in sound at all.
Same deal with ReaControlMIDI.

I replace the synth with Vital and use the midi learn and it functions exactly as I expect.
You need to place ccstepper before the synth on the same track, set ccstepper to run and then select cc learn on synth, it will automatically link, doesn’t matter what cc is, will overwrite
I hope I have this round the right way, if not, cc learn on synth then open cc stepper, it’s one or tother :)

And what was the rating system in OSC #36? I see 0 points in the last places :o

schiing wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 am
ELEX wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:39 am
Thanks God for Studio One presets - click>name>store! No custom preset management in your DAW?
Just answering the question there, but yes, REAPER has it's own system, which is somewhat limited as it doesn't allow for organizing of presets. Must say though, that with these OSC plugins I usually prefer to use the plugins own systems because of compatibility between versions. One never knows what bugs turn up at some point in one version or the other. I already had to ditch the 64-bit of Kairatune because of that silly thing with 'phaser depth' detuning the oscillator.
IV! wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:55 pm And what was the rating system in OSC #36? I see 0 points in the last places :o
I think someone mentioned last month that one only awarded one's personal top 5 with points then, so that would make zero points possible.

@ Eauson Thanks - Yes I've sort of got it working.

I've found out that I can automate some parameters - ie - the wave, low & trim work. But others have no effect.
Using CC Stepper I can now make those other individual parameters function. However I cannot seem to modulate more than one parameter with a different sequence - even using multiple instances of CC stepper the MIDI teach/MIDI Learn.
They seem to conflict and all parameters receive all sequences regardless of CC# or instance.
Thing is just very strange.
Also - my Host preset function does not work, I can save as preset (within Reaper Host) but when I reload and select that preset it does nothing at all. Edit - Ok, now they do work - it's like being on Rand again.

I've just tried parameter modulation in the 32-bit version ( in REAPER, of course ) and it's fully functional. As for the host preset function: you're right it doesn't work, BUT... when selecting the same preset twice it does work ( ??? ). Did here anyway.

@ theBOO
As I remember it, switch of the other sequencers when selecting a new cc to modulate, it’s a bit tedious, but it seems to work, well for me anywho :)
I tend not to use any automation, although I did try a bit of wobbling on the LFO’s using ccstepper & reapers lfo mod :tu:

ELEX wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:03 pm Just answering the question there, but yes, REAPER has it's own system, which is somewhat limited as it doesn't allow for organizing of presets. Must say though, that with these OSC plugins I usually prefer to use the plugins own systems because of compatibility between versions. One never knows what bugs turn up at some point in one version or the other. I already had to ditch the 64-bit of Kairatune because of that silly thing with 'phaser depth' detuning the oscillator.
Yeah, sorry, I know, I figured I'd reply to the full thread, hoping that @kanduvisla was still paying attention. :)

I do it the other way around, and sure enough, there have been cases where I regret it. But mostly, I return to OSC synths for a particular flavour that I remember them for, starting from scratch. I rarely re-use my OSC patches. Also, once they're in my folder, I usually don't update versions until I buy a new computer!
Last edited by schiing on Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Return to “Instruments”