3am - Inference (fun with the INM-E and friends)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/Mp6OgOkAtAY

This one started as a demo for Flight of Harmony's Infernal Noise Machine module but it came out pretty well, so I'll post it here. I'm also using a Make Noise 0-CTRL, a Plague Bearer (also from Flight) and a Desmodus Versio from Noise Engineering. Ran the output through the old API 2500/5500 combo.

Stay tuned for Orion's cameo. He's such a ham!

holy shit :o
that was awesome!!!
some lovely forbidden planet monsters from the id moments!!
great motion between the parts too, never seems like it's changing then you're somewhere new, evading tentacles from ichor pools of maliferous scented fluids :o

The INM really has a tremendous amount of range. The sweet spots are a bit narrow and there is a lot of potential for "what the hell is making it do that?" moments, but it's a highly playable machine.
I'm getting a lot of sampler food from the INM. I can't wait to mangle some of them samples.

Thanks for listening... er, watching!

love me some 8bit retro arcade sfx, takes me back to my school dayz.
there was a robot horse sound in there that was pretty neat.
it was a fun sonic adventure in textures the entire way. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Flight of Harmony's Infernal Noise Machine module... Make Noise 0-CTRL....Plague Bearer...Desmodus Versio from Noise Engineering....old API 2500/5500 combo.
Not often I go WTF when someone talks about Music Tech, but I seriously need to look up what all that meant! :)
it was a fun sonic adventure in textures the entire way.
Yeah, got that...100% agree!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Thanks for listening! Most of the stuff I used, can be seen in the video (well, it would have been easier if it was lit better :dog:). That's all euro rack/modular gear. The API 2500 is a stereo compressor, the 5500 is a dual EQ. I usually keep these on my drum bus but they sound good on pretty much anything.

I had someone comment elsewhere that it looks like I'm "just randomly doing stuff", which I find kinda funny. INM, isn't really an instrument you can hack at randomly and expect to get useable sounds (understood that my definition of usable sound is debatable :lol:). Even the maker wrote a disclaimer saying "this thing will piss you off".

The way I approach a piece like this, is to build variations on a patch and then develop "gestures" or "cues" which get me get me from one variation to the next. Gestures are when the transition is very quick, audible and you can see that the control I'm moving has a direct impact on the sound. Cues are when I change the settings for a sound, which is not currently part of the mix (so the changes aren't audible), and then fade in the new part quickly or gradually depending on the effect I'm after.

Then there are parts which I guess could be considered like a verse, where I let a patch variation do it's thing for a bit, with only small adjustments. I often find it's easier to make the fast transitions sound cool then to get these verse sections to work consistently. It's hard to land on a sound that will remain interesting for a while, even harder to land on that same sound repeatedly, especially with something as chaotic as the INM!

I guess it doesn't really matter if people think that the results are random or deliberate. I kinda wish I could do performances like this randomly but it does take a lot of preparation. Luckily, it's a lot of fun. :)

when i first met my missus, she asked what i do. i sent her a link, she said "im sorry, but it all sounds a bit random to me"

to which i replied, thanks, it's bloody hard work making it sound so random when it is all looped in time!!

this was before the modular, stupid midi clocks :x

we can't expect everyone to get what we do, or even desire them to, or we would be doing the more mainstream stuff i imagine :shrug:

sounded pretty f**king nice to me :D

Oh I know it sounds random to anyone but me :hihi: I was just hoping to convey some deliberate control of the sounds, lol.

It was also a good excuse to use some pretentiously flowery language. :lol:

nothing wrong with a bit of flowery pretentiousness!

more recently, some point during lockdown, we were texting while i was "working" she said "you know, i still dont know what it is you actually do? but i think youre good at it" :lol:

Very cool, very musical. Lots of surprising sounds and transitions.

I'm a sucker for that sound world. :)

Best regards,

dp

Thanks for listening!

Return to “Music Cafe”