NEW MINDSET: Best sound possible EFFICIENTLY

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can't learn fundamentals from stock plugins
Let's us all know when you hit the top the charts with low latency plugins and high fidelity tools only...

Cancel Culture Club wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:37 pm
You can't learn fundamentals from stock plugins
Let's us all know when you hit the top the charts with low latency plugins and high fidelity tools only...
More words you're putting in my mouth. You argue against things I never said over and over and over, building straw man after straw man. I never said I (or anyone) could hit the top of the charts with high fidelity tools and low latency plugins only, did I? In fact I said the opposite: that high fidelity tools alone don't make good music, didn't I? Here, I'll quote myself:

"And no, better fidelity doesn't make better music." - see? Who are you arguing against, then? Here's a hint: no one but the phantoms in your own "mind".

Given this conversation I'd suggest you take a step back from the stock plugins and work on an even more important core discipline: listening.

Cancel Culture Club wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:53 am
10bd01 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:14 am You can have the last word, I'm gone. :!:
Some people forget that making music is an artform, and with any artform the more time you put in the better it becomes, developing talent. It would be a lot easier for some people if it was all just a technical riddle that needed to be answered. Well, it's a mix of both and a difficult balance that only leads to a small percentage of top notch professionals.

It's all the invisible work and countless hours that people don't see, even with a scope...
Those pesky technical riddles...
Hi. I've been into electronic music production for 20 years and I've tryed all the best plugins possible, searching for the best sound quality, best compressors, the best analog emulations, the best limiters, etc. I got at a time that I stopped making music just because of this never ending search. And after 20 years I got at some conclusions:
Everything in relation to the Op's original statement.

Cancel Culture Club wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:34 pm
Cancel Culture Club wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:53 am
10bd01 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:14 am You can have the last word, I'm gone. :!:
Some people forget that making music is an artform, and with any artform the more time you put in the better it becomes, developing talent. It would be a lot easier for some people if it was all just a technical riddle that needed to be answered. Well, it's a mix of both and a difficult balance that only leads to a small percentage of top notch professionals.

It's all the invisible work and countless hours that people don't see, even with a scope...
Those pesky technical riddles...
Hi. I've been into electronic music production for 20 years and I've tryed all the best plugins possible, searching for the best sound quality, best compressors, the best analog emulations, the best limiters, etc. I got at a time that I stopped making music just because of this never ending search. And after 20 years I got at some conclusions:
Right, the Op with 20 years experience who isn't looking for your presumptuous advice on the importance of studying fundamentals but who's asking what tools will increase efficiency in specific areas.

I'm planning on getting a new computer with a 5900x or 5950x soon. Are acustica plugins still too cpu-heavy even for monster cpus like these?

Is presumptuous the beginning of sumptuous?

acousticglue wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:33 am Is presumptuous the beginning of sumptuous?
The former stems from praesumere ("to borrow, buy, spend, eat, drink, consume, employ, take, take up"), the latter from sumere ("anticipate, assume").

10bd01 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:22 pm
Right, the Op with 20 years experience who isn't looking for your presumptuous advice on the importance of studying fundamentals but who's asking what tools will increase efficiency in specific areas.
Of course not, they're obviously looking for their golden hammer to go with their golden ears, so they can make gold records. Sheesh, everyone knows that.

I find things like this pretty funny. I like good sounds as much as anyone. I’ll do a shoot out on a few opto-compressor emulations, limiters, etc. Sometimes I’ll pick one or two of each and then that’s basically it. If you can’t make music with a few decent dynamics processors and saturators, the problem isn’t your tools. Especially in modern times. I use a bunch of UAD stuff on the way in. For stuff that’s generated by plugins, I’ll use a few different things. Presswerk, TrackComp 2, some IK emulations. Are there better tools? Maybe, but the time I spend doing new comparisons... not worth it. Life is too short. I’d much rather explore a new instrument because I find that fun. I’m making music as I’m checking out a synth. Same with guitar effects. That’s fun because ultimately I’m playing as I evaluate.

I heard a good podcast that was talking about Maximizers vs Satisfiers. Maximizers spend a lot of resources finding the very best solutions to any problem. That’s my wife. She’ll spend a night watching snippets of shows before she settles on a new one to start watching. It’s kind of maddening. I’m a satisfier. I’ll stop at the first thing that seems pretty good. Occasionally it’ll be great... and sometime crap and you’ve got to abandon it, but most of the time my instincts are pretty good and I pick something that I like. Is it the best thing I could possibly be watching at that moment? Probably not, but I’d rather keep it going than get stuck in some weird evaluation mode.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

briefcasemanx wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:41 am I'm planning on getting a new computer with a 5900x or 5950x soon. Are acustica plugins still too cpu-heavy even for monster cpus like these?
They're not cpu heavy even on my 3900x so you should be fine with 5900/5950x.Also depends which DAW do you use. Cubase with AA crashes for me way before i even reach half of CPU/RAM resources ;)

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:13 am If you can’t make music with a few decent dynamics processors and saturators, the problem isn’t your tools. Especially in modern times.
Exactly, today plugins are so good that they all practically sound identical and differ only in appearance with maybe some added features. Of course there's going to be some that give off a signature tone, but it's easily emulated, just like anything else.

To put it simply, some people export their music at 48k and others at 44.1k, none of which changes the quality of the song or it's content. It may vary in sound slightly, but it's usually lost in translation when it's down ported to different mediums, such youtube, spotify, etc.

So the moral of the story is, the musical and artistic side should exceed or compete with the technical side or there will be an unbalanced result that will probably sound mediocre at best.

Cancel Culture Club wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:45 pmExactly, today plugins are so good that they all practically sound identical and differ only in appearance with maybe some added features.
I would have said the same thing years ago before I actually studied what roughly makes DSP tick. You're underestimating the work good plugin developers have done.

ScrLk wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:28 pm
Cancel Culture Club wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:45 pmExactly, today plugins are so good that they all practically sound identical and differ only in appearance with maybe some added features.
Just not true. I would have said the same thing years ago before I actually studied what roughly makes DSP tick. You are underestimating the work good plugin developers have done.

Vinyl records were already good enough quality for hit records yet I appreciate the progress we have made since.
If what you said was true, then please identify which plugin is being used on a specific song I give you, which is impossible and worthless information.

You keep searching for your best tools, while the rest of us search for the best music we can make.

Cancel Culture Club wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:45 pm Exactly, today plugins [...] practically sound identical
:hihi: To your ears they do. Now I'm starting to get it - you can't hear that well, which is why you also can't listen that well.
Cancel Culture Club wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:45 pm You keep searching for your best tools, while the rest of us search for the best music we can make.
:hihi: Yeah, you're definitely the only one on this thread who's searching for the best music you can make /sarcasm. Wow, what an arrogant ass you're making out of yourself! You waltz on in here on your fake high-horse thinking you're better than everyone because you hold a foolish, ignorant and factually incorrect perspective that you rationalize with baseless platitudes. You then attempt to educate everyone on how wrong they are, proceed to get your ass handed to you multiple times on multiple different fronts, have been unable to answer any of the criticisms that have been leveled against your ridiculous statements, and the final answer you have to any question is an argument against an apparition in your mind; railing against positions no one else here is holding so that you can win an argument no one is having with you. :tu:

We got a one man clown show here, people. Look at it as entertainment and it's not half bad. But to any impressionable minds that may wander by - if you're so inclined, don't let fools like this influence your decision making. They're everywhere and often are louder the more ignorant they are, so they can be convincing even though they're wrong. They - most often unintentionally - try to enslave you into some sort of ideology that has them enslaved; don't listen to them. Stay on YOUR path if you're so choosing; don't let them derail you with their bs.

10bd01 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:01 pm
:hihi: To your ears they do. Now I'm starting to get it - you can't hear that well, which is why you also can't listen that well.

:hihi: Yeah, you're definitely the only one on this thread who's searching for the best music you can make /sarcasm. Wow, what an arrogant ass you're making out of yourself! You waltz on in here on your fake high-horse thinking you're better than everyone because you hold a foolish, ignorant and factually incorrect perspective that you rationalize with baseless platitudes. You then attempt to educate everyone on how wrong they are, proceed to get your ass handed to you multiple times on multiple different fronts, have been unable to answer any of the criticisms that have been leveled against your ridiculous statements, and the final answer you have to any question is an argument against an apparition in your mind; railing against positions no one else here is holding so that you can win an argument no one is having with you. :tu:

We got a one man clown show here, people. Look at it as entertainment and it's not half bad. But to any impressionable minds that may wander by - if you're so inclined, don't let fools like this influence your decision making. They're everywhere and often are louder the more ignorant they are, so they can be convincing even though they're wrong. They - most often unintentionally - try to enslave you into some sort of ideology that has them enslaved; don't listen to them. Stay on YOUR path if you're so choosing; don't let them derail you with their bs.

What are you on about again? It doesn't seem to be about the Op's statement or music at this point...

Maybe you can channel some of that sensitivity into your music. :hihi:

Return to “Effects”