One Synth Challenge #145: Kairatune by Futucraft (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's always interesting to do these monophonic challenges. It seems very binary to me: You can either start with something melodic OR something percussive, and where you end up is very reflective of that decision. No in-betweens, sort of - at least that's how it feels to me. And it's unusual, because I usually start with chords.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:26 pm Yeah, sorry, I know, I figured I'd reply to the full thread, hoping that @kanduvisla was still paying attention. :)
Ah...yes, of course. Well, we've got all answers covered then. @Kanduvisla should have no more troubles. :)

On the subject of monophonic: I find it really helps to sharpen percussive skills, since it's not possible to reach a result by playing a whole bunch of keys to get noise, for instance. Instead, very deliberate choices have to be made. Also a nice incentive for polyphonic music writing. Though I'll be having an EDM-ish exploration this month , I think. With melody creeping in, probably.

This synth has nice sound possibilities. Percussion looks like a challenge so far.

Has anyone found settings to get some white noise or similar sounds?
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

MalToné wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:09 pm Has anyone found settings to get some white noise or similar sounds?
I found a couple ways... @Milkster pointed to using the LFO with the HPF and/or other parts of the synth, and that works okay.

I also found that if you set EVERYTHING in the MULTI section to 100% (except maybe the spread) you get like a bunch of saws, which makes a lot of high end content then you can use the HPF to get pretty much just the noise through... it's not great, but with some good note choices and short envelopes you can get some good results.

MalToné wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:09 pm Has anyone found settings to get some white noise or similar sounds?
This will at least give you a decent hihat or a rugged clap (sorry only a vst3 file) :

hat.jpg
hat.7z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Kewl! Thank you Z, Schiing and JazJazgot, I will definitely use the tips and the presets.
Last edited by MalToné on Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

59 percussive presets which I found in various different places.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm having a lot of fun!

JazJazgot wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:14 pm 59 percussive presets which I found in various different places.
Thanks for these! I'll check them out. I'm also finding creating percussion isn't as difficult as I thought at first with this synth. Just first impressions.

I was checking out the pages for OSC1 and the OSC sure has grown since 2007. Did you know there were only six entries in the first competition and the tracks were epic? At first it wasn't even clear if the OSC would go beyond #1. Though Soundcloud launched in 2007 as well, it wasn't immediately used to post tracks for the competition. Check it out, here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=245938

Which Ninth can't you listen to any more? Beethoven? Mahler? Mozart?

This synth makes really gnarly kick drums and wobbling bass. The lack of noise generator though is making hi hats and snares a bit tricky. Best I've found is to mess with EQs, filters and LFOs until you get something rhythmic. For hihats the delay Is useful. I kind of like some of the limitations with this one though and it's got so many harmonics it's like playing a saturator.

tickytock wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 pm "I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

Ha ha! I'm okay with the Ninth. That is a quote from A Clockwork Orange where Alex complains about not being able to listen to Beethoven's Ninth symphony.

MalToné wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:24 am
tickytock wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 pm "I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

Ha ha! I'm okay with the Ninth. That is a quote from A Clockwork Orange where Alex complains about not being able to listen to Beethoven's Ninth symphony.
Ah! Now I have to dig around and listen to it. I've had enough of the 5th, for sure.

I have this exact quote for you :) You can repeat it forever.
https://www.misie.org/I%20can't%20liste ... %20all.mp4
I'm having a lot of fun!

Return to “Instruments”