PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Yes, I just messaged him. My feeling is, however, that the dual license might be ok for VST2.4, but not for JUCE. But I will investigate further.

Ha you can always purchase a JUCE license and ship binaries only, but really unsure how that then works with PG-8X getting open-sourced. It's also probably something you don't want to do since PG-8X is free, so no way to recoup.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:46 pm Any open-source plugin simply cannot be VST2 because VST 2 license does not allow redistribution of VST2 source code (which is what open source requires). VST3 is dual license (commercial and GPL3), that is the only way to go. We've been through this a number of times already, it's not up to us, take it up to Steinberg.

Also, not 64-bit only, it'd still be 32-bit (Surge still is 32-bit on Windows).

(Besides, you still have Reaper ;))
true- :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

So there's already a team assigned to working on it?
Will there be an updated AU (Audio Units) version as well (for users of Logic and Garageband as those don't accept VST plugins)?

There's no team assigned to work on PG-8X just yet, Martin is still weighing in options. But he is in close touch with Surge Synth Team :)

You can bet there will be both AU and Mac VST3 and Linux VST3 eventually, be it via through iPlug2 or JUCE.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks. Looking forward to the developments!

PG-8X getting updated? Resizable GUI?! ::HEAD EXPLODES:: Great news! Thanks, Martin. Cannot wait!

EDIT: Especially after Roland Cloud's lackluster effort with the Zenology module version. Missing a sync mode, no sysex support... ugh.

I totally agree that the design from ENV1 is stunning!
I think the biggest version, which is darker as well, looks the absolute best!!!

One big wish is that the plugin will be scalable and vector-based.
I really often have problems with fixed zoom levels...
Please take a look what TAL-Software do with their plugins. They’re fully resizable and vector-based.
ENV1’s darker design combined with this approach would be 200% awesomeness! :clap: :love:

Before I saw this thread, I wrote Martin on his Facebook page, but I’d like to post my big report here as well
* MIDI learn will crash the plugin + DAW, and even the standalone app.
* I think this is intentional, but it would be awesome if the preset manager would not be dependent on loading a bank on every new start of the plugin
Instead, it would be nice if it 1) reloads the last bank or 2) a preset folder is used, from which all included banks are loaded. 3) banks can be converted into single Patches, and PG can access all, or even create banks to export to a JX. For example, TAL J-8 preset Manager simply accesses the folder in which the Patches are stored.

Thanks so much Martin and all who have or will contribute!

ENV1 doesn't really work with vectors though, IIRC. :)

The GUI will be scalable with several zoom levels available, but I don't think it will be vectorized.

Great. Hate vectorized guis
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

They do have some benefits, and when done well, you couldn't tell the difference if it's vector or not.

Sorry if I seem over excited but I have never created a whole orchestra before. I have just been playing with the unison controls and the chorus together and it sounds like a dream.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:15 pm They do have some benefits, and when done well, you couldn't tell the difference if it's vector or not.
i suppose that is true

Imho the plugin is perfect as it is now , same for dexed .
I really hope the dexed team will not go overboard with this and turn it into some monstrosity with added bells and whistles .
Don’ get me wrong , surge team is doing a fantastic job with surge but Emulations like pg8x and dexed should stay 1:1 , true to the original .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Dexed does need those algorithms fixed in certain modes, portamento/glissando implementation, etc. :)

PG-8X the plan is to up it to MKS-70 spec. Perhaps even emulate the Vecoven mod eventually...

Return to “Instruments”