Reverbs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Halma wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:06 pm
Ploki wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:47 pm I really wish someone did a codeport of the M7 already.
Liquid Sonics Seventh Heaven ? https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/seventh-heaven/
IR based
i want pure distilled algo in a plugin :hihi:

Ploki wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:29 pm
Halma wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:06 pm
Ploki wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:47 pm I really wish someone did a codeport of the M7 already.
Liquid Sonics Seventh Heaven ? https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/seventh-heaven/
IR based
i want pure distilled algo in a plugin :hihi:
I know its IR based but heck yeah, I know what you mean. :D
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

PSP 245 is as good as they get. Great great great sounding verb.

I have demoed a lot of reverbs and the Exponential reverbs are amongst the best I’ve used. I picked up Phoenix and R4 during one of the recent sales and love these reverbs. They also are low on cpu useage.
The other reverbs I’m really fond of are from LiquidSonics. I own Cinematic Rooms, Illusion, Lustrious Plates and Reverberate 3 and they all sound lovely. If you want something that covers a lot of of different reverb types I would recommend Illusion or Reverberate 3.
The other reverbs I use a lot are dedicated plate reverbs like Kush Goldplate or TransAtlantic Plate. These are the best plate reverbs I’ve used but obviously that’s all that they do.

I have a feeling if you like the Lexicon reverbs, Exponential R4 could be a great option.

Relab, Exponential and Liquidsonics.

If you're ready to pay for the PCM total bundle, then also try exponential audio symphony as well.

I would say that the problem with the Valhalla reverbs tends to be - and I think this can lead to a fundamental misconception - that they include several partly quite different "machines" under the hood that always use the same generic interface - and while some parameters sometimes change drastically under this hood, you still need to use a certain combination of parameter settings to approach what they are supposed to aim at... so I think what they lack is a graphical indication for each parameter that shows you the suggested range for each algo... a "ballpark ring" so to say...

Sean mentioned many repective suggestions in his blog and elsewhere but who's going to recall all that when it comes to it?

So to me they always seem a bit like a racing car with the brakes on...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:50 pm I would say that the problem with the Valhalla reverbs tends to be - and I think this can lead to a fundamental misconception - that they include several partly quite different "machines" under the hood that always use the same generic interface - and while some parameters sometimes change drastically under this hood, you still need to use a certain combination of parameter settings to approach what they are supposed to aim at... so I think what they lack is a graphical indication for each parameter that shows you the suggested range for each algo... a "ballpark ring" so to say...

Sean mentioned many repective suggestions in his blog and elsewhere but who's going to recall all that when it comes to it?

So to me they always seem a bit like a racing car with the brakes on...
I personally find the interfaces to be horrible. Ugly, toy-like. Biggest issue for me is they alway sound so plastic and smeared... Not for me the Valhalla stuff. I'm sure it's perfect for what a lot of people are looking for tho, everyone seems to like them

Also, I'll demo the Voxengo stuff - I've been impressed before by some of their plugins

Exponential, Relab and Lexicon - best on the market, you cant go wrong with any of these!

+1 for Fabfilter Pro R, I've got & use R2 which sounds nice but the UX takes me back to Windows '98, I know there are more important things but its jarring to me every time. For quick results I'm more a fan of Softube's stripped down TSAR-1R which I think I prefer over the TSAR-1

HcDoom wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:27 am Exponential, Relab and Lexicon - best on the market, you cant go wrong with any of these!
Ah yeah, the Relab 480L sounds wonderful to my ears. Could be a real contender. I'll spend some more time with it first. Love the interface.

(blacklight) wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:40 pm +1 for Fabfilter Pro R, I've got & use R2 which sounds nice but the UX takes me back to Windows '98, I know there are more important things but its jarring to me every time. For quick results I'm more a fan of Softube's stripped down TSAR-1R which I think I prefer over the TSAR-1
I've spent a lot of time with the FabFilter stuff, and it's all too clinical sounding for me. I can't get along with the interfaces either - all the visuals and graphs do nothing for my ears. I thought the FabFilter distortion plugin (Saturn?) was particularly poor.

But different people like different things.

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:42 am Also, I'll demo the Voxengo stuff - I've been impressed before by some of their plugins
Coming back to this. The Voxengo stuff sounded great, but it's not the 'etherial' sound I'm looking for. Plus it KILLED my CPU. Like a single instance was using 70% :-D

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:41 am I personally find the interfaces to be horrible. Ugly, toy-like. Biggest issue for me is they alway sound so plastic and smeared... Not for me the Valhalla stuff. I'm sure it's perfect for what a lot of people are looking for tho, everyone seems to like them
I on the other hand totally love the Valhalla interfaces - for me they are easily amongst the very best on the market - and the same goes for their sound - but again: you need to know/find the sweet-spots for each individual algo - that was the point I tried to make and I think your post nicely illustrates it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:51 pm
Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:41 am I personally find the interfaces to be horrible. Ugly, toy-like. Biggest issue for me is they alway sound so plastic and smeared... Not for me the Valhalla stuff. I'm sure it's perfect for what a lot of people are looking for tho, everyone seems to like them
I on the other hand totally love the Valhalla interfaces - for me they are easily amongst the very best on the market - and the same goes for their sound - but again: you need to know/find the sweet-spots for each individual algo - that was the point I tried to make and I think your post nicely illustrates it.
Whatever Valhalla are doing with their algos, I hate. The delays, the reverbs, the modulators... All sound like plugins from 1990, like a low resolution thing, I dunno. I've got plenty of experience dealing in reverbs, I don't use presets in anything - I simply don't like the sound that Valhalla are aiming for.

For the record, I think their delay is particularly offensive sounding :-D

Return to “Effects”