Some of my songs. Tech-house, progressive house, techno. Mastered for DJing with at a party.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
KVRAF
2191 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:15 pm

I've been using the plugin Gullfoss, along with Ozone and some other stuff, for mastering my songs. I'm pleased with the results.

https://soundcloud.com/user-492255322/s ... BQh3uK8iSM

Feel free to let me know whether you like my songs or don't, your critique, or what you think.
Last edited by Spring Goose on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
33 posts since 16 Mar, 2005 from ddorf

Post Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:28 pm

Sounds nice - good mastering to my ears - not my style of music - but I have been at the waterfall gullfoss xx years ago (feels like a former life) - a picture from then is one of inspiration points in my studio. That’s why I opened the post.
Meanwhile - wasn’t there a ErHu on the track?
Assassins - like the delay effect...

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2191 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:34 pm

Cool, thanks for listening and feedback.

I can't say for sure whether it's an Erhu, because i'm not knowledgeable about that. It's a sample which i've used. Thanks for broadening my horizons!

User avatar
KVRian
1498 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:23 pm

Definitely some sub going on there! I can feel it, quite strong.
Gullfoss is amazing, some people use it on most tracks not just the master/mixbus. It can be overdone if not careful tho.
Nice good rhythmic stuff going on. :tu:

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2191 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Bansaw wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:23 pm
Definitely some sub going on there! I can feel it, quite strong.
Gullfoss is amazing, some people use it on most tracks not just the master/mixbus. It can be overdone if not careful tho.
Nice good rhythmic stuff going on. :tu:
Thanks for the feedback mate. I haven't actually bought Gulfoss yet, i'm on 14 day, but i shall do! I'm impressed so far.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2191 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:05 pm

TEOTE is great too, i think.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2191 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Somebody said Gullfoss destroys or makes a mess of transients, but i can't hear it in these songs. Anybody care to discuss? (i'm interested to know before i spend £150 on it)

Here's 3 more songs i've mastered with Gullfoss:
https://soundcloud.com/user-492255322/s ... cKF54m56gt

There must be other things i could spend £150 on.

Edit: Sleepily i put Gullfoss in the thread of things i would definitely buy again at full price and then i've just told somebody that Gullfoss is a definite purchase at full price for £150 so i guess i have my answer.
Although i'd still care to have the conversation about whether "you" think Gullfoss turns transients "into mush".

KVRian
624 posts since 8 Oct, 2019

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:45 am

Spring Goose wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 pm
Edit: Sleepily i put Gullfoss in the thread of things i would definitely buy again at full price and then i've just told somebody that Gullfoss is a definite purchase at full price for £150 so i guess i have my answer.
:hihi:

Nice tracks!! FYI, Gullfoss does go on sale occasionally with the downside that it's NFR immediately. Other than that, it turns NFR with the first resale.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2191 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:57 pm

gondii wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:45 am
Spring Goose wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 pm
Edit: Sleepily i put Gullfoss in the thread of things i would definitely buy again at full price and then i've just told somebody that Gullfoss is a definite purchase at full price for £150 so i guess i have my answer.
:hihi:

Nice tracks!! FYI, Gullfoss does go on sale occasionally with the downside that it's NFR immediately. Other than that, it turns NFR with the first resale.
Cheers. I read that Gullfoss was discounted 23% on last Black Friday. I kinda figured it isn't so much a saving to be worth the wait.

KVRian
624 posts since 8 Oct, 2019

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:14 pm

Spring Goose wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:57 pm
Cheers. I read that Gullfoss was discounted 23% on last Black Friday. I kinda figured it isn't so much a saving to be worth the wait.
It was 35% actually. So it does make some difference. If you're able to wait :)

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2191 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:18 pm

gondii wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:14 pm
Spring Goose wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:57 pm
Cheers. I read that Gullfoss was discounted 23% on last Black Friday. I kinda figured it isn't so much a saving to be worth the wait.
It was 35% actually. So it does make some difference. If you're able to wait :)
You're right, but probably not able to!

User avatar
KVRAF
5897 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:45 pm

Loving these!
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket ||
Audiomack - SoundCloud - hearthis

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2191 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:45 pm
Loving these!
Cool! Thanks for replying.

KVRAF
2007 posts since 22 Jan, 2011 from near Los Angeles

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:01 pm

Spring Goose,
I gave Gullfoss a demo whirl a few months ago. On my music, the clarity of the mix was better. But the volume and EQ of everything seemed like it had the high speed jiggles (on my song). I listened to one of your songs and did not notice that issue.

User avatar
KVRian
990 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:59 am

aaron aardvark wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:01 pm
Spring Goose,
I gave Gullfoss a demo whirl a few months ago. On my music, the clarity of the mix was better. But the volume and EQ of everything seemed like it had the high speed jiggles (on my song). I listened to one of your songs and did not notice that issue.
There's a VERY strong point here...

We ALL have a tendency to jump at the newest, most amazing, 'quick fix' bit of software...but the truth is they all have strengths and weaknesses and NONE of them have yet to replace experience and skill in mixing and mastering.

Been seduced by a few myself over the decades! There's always an initial 'rush' when you find something apparently 'new and amazing'... Personally I would always advise waiting and thinking about it, especially if it' s a lot of money... Wish I'd always followed that very advice myself over the years!!! 😭

Gullfoss... I tried it too some months ago... Yeah, it instantly added significant clarity to the music, but I could do exactly the same step by step with EQ, compression etc etc etc already... Gullfoss was definitely quicker and superficially very shiny and clear, but it lacked the fine control I wanted so I deleted it and continued as I was!

Like Aaron, I had one track where it's use also introduced certain very weird artifacts... I think it depends on the style of music to some extent maybe + probably a bit of random response from the algorithms behind the software?

The other thing to take into account with such 'magic' bits of kit is how flexible they are as your music ebbs and flows... Very few tracks need the same treatment all the way through and I often find the BIG HIT of mix magic doesn't tend to be fully adaptive enough for my purposes at all.

For what it does, it's also bloody expensive!

I have a colleague who is convinced that I own and regularly use Altiverb...I never have, ... £500 on a bloody reverb... No chance!!! 😂

We blind tested him and his audiophile mates... Altiverb versus Kontakt's built in convolution reverb versus a freeware digital reverb ('Ambience') ... Free one came out on top by some margin with Kontakt 2nd!!!

People listening to your music want good tunes, good rhythms, good chords etc etc... Yeah, they want it to be well produced as well... But they don't care about that anywhere near as much as you might think!
Last edited by ChameleonMusic on Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Return to “Music Cafe”