Arturia Spark 2 Software is out

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pixel85 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:55 pm Well, I think that I will save for crisps and beer those $20. A better deal than updating who knows what :)
Spark VDM is really old - and owners of the original Spark series ( there were a couple of other versions apart from VDM ) were offered an upgrade path to spark2

so you're really not missing out on anything - indeed I don't know if original Spark would even run on a modern OS

jdnz wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:41 pm
pixel85 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:55 pm Well, I think that I will save for crisps and beer those $20. A better deal than updating who knows what :)
Spark VDM is really old - and owners of the original Spark series ( there were a couple of other versions apart from VDM ) were offered an upgrade path to spark2

so you're really not missing out on anything - indeed I don't know if original Spark would even run on a modern OS
Spark 2 is IMO one of the great failures of the industry. It's a good product that for some reason the public didn't get behind enough for Arturia to keep developing it. It's not that great as a stand alone drum machine, but as a VSTi it's easier to get results with than any of the other virtual drum machines out there. SparkLE is just a solid product, it's really too bad Arturia are not developing it anymore.

Spark VDM was the original incarnation of Spark. It came in the early V2 or V3 collections when Arturia was using eLicenser copy protection. Everything (sample-wise) that was in VDM is in the current Spark. The major difference was the interface. As to reauthorizing it, Arturia no longer uses the eLicenser system and cannot provide replacement serial numbers to reauthorize the dongle (yet another thing you’d need to get it running). So save your money because everything is packed into the current version of Spark.
On a number of Macs

machinesworking wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 pm
jdnz wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:41 pm

Spark 2 is IMO one of the great failures of the industry. It's a good product that for some reason the public didn't get behind enough for Arturia to keep developing it. It's not that great as a stand alone drum machine, but as a VSTi it's easier to get results with than any of the other virtual drum machines out there. SparkLE is just a solid product, it's really too bad Arturia are not developing it anymore.
spark2 was (in my experience, anyway) a trainwreck in logic; great when it worked... which it did, sometimes. getting rid of it was a relief, but if it returned in a newer version and worked well... i might consider it.

I can only judge the software, but, it always seemed like it's overly complex and complicated. TBH, there are not many alternatives with that kind of feature set though, so.

The hardware doesn't seem like a big success, otherwise they wouldn't have discontinued it.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 pm It's not that great as a stand alone drum machine, ...
That's the biggest issue I had with it. The SparkLE wasn't that much better than using a generic controller. Why have a dedicated controller when most operation is ITB, or works better that way.
machinesworking wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 pm...but as a VSTi it's easier to get results with than any of the other virtual drum machines out there. SparkLE is just a solid product, it's really too bad Arturia are not developing it anymore.
I think the v2 update made it worse. Sure, they added some nice features like the modular sound design part... but it was implemented as an afterthought; just squeezed into the existing interface.

I haven't used it in a long time. I remember the plugin being very unstable, but it could've been caused by my MOTU audio interface drivers (Windows). (just ask if you're interested in a crazy story :wink: )

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:26 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 pm It's not that great as a stand alone drum machine, ...
That's the biggest issue I had with it. The SparkLE wasn't that much better than using a generic controller. Why have a dedicated controller when most operation is ITB, or works better that way.
I think you misunderstood, and you're justified. What I meant was that it's built in Sequencer is fantastic if you use it along with the controller in a DAW to develop patterns then export those patterns to your DAW, to develop the song as a whole. I never have used the internal "song" sequencer, it's a mess. I recently sold the MPC and am selling Maschine because in the end of the day a sequencer running inside a sequencer causes problems. None of this is about the hardware being a good interface to program drum beats, more about the whole concept of these software drum machines and how they interact with the DAW. IMO if you don't run into the stumbling blocks that people do with Spark, it's a great tool to quickly get out drum parts.
I haven't used it in a long time. I remember the plugin being very unstable, but it could've been caused by my MOTU audio interface drivers (Windows). (just ask if you're interested in a crazy story :wink: )
The main thing people don't realize is the Spark controller doesn't like or need to be record enabled in your DAW. It actually messes up Spark to record enable the track it's on. It's somewhat counterintuitive and I'm sure didn't help it's popularity out, but you're running patterns in Spark until you export them to the track, and Spark hardware is not recognized as a controller by your OS really, it only likes to talk to the Spark VSTi plug in.

Lol when I first got Spark2 I too almost tried to buy spark vdm, not realizing the vdm stuff was included in Spark2.

Spark2 is very underrated.

My old 'V Collection 4' has 'Spark 2' listed in Arturia Software Center.

Downloading and Installing. No idea if I'll be able to activate it yet.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 pm Spark 2 is IMO one of the great failures of the industry. It's a good product that for some reason the public didn't get behind enough for Arturia to keep developing it.
I'm not sure that it's right to expect consumers to "get behind" a product before the bugs are sorted out. Although the video game industry has certainly headed in that direction...

I had the original Spark with the 'big' hardware controlller...it was really, good, ahead of its time and I am surprised it was never really supported.

Imagen if Spark 3 had the real analogue of drum brute and the digital/usb control of Spark :-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Aloysius wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:04 am My old 'V Collection 4' has 'Spark 2' listed in Arturia Software Center.

Downloading and Installing. No idea if I'll be able to activate it yet.
Well I got it installed via the old VC4 route in ASC.

Activation ok.

The app didn't put a shortcut on my desktop but I managed to find it:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arturia\Spark\Spark.exe

No sign of a VST3 here (so far). I managed to find a x 64 VST2 here:

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns

Put a link to it in my Ableton Live 10 folder (Windows 10) and that works.

i still like Spark 2 (full version), i used a lot, now less, because i don't use drums, or not in the normal fashion. and still use it for somethings.
i bought the old controller second hand.
great combination.

there was a version update, 2 years ago?? yes support isn't that great. but although 'old', i like the thing. how it sounds, how it works. it has some strange things, but with the old controller, for automation!!

so still dig the old Spark 2!

@Aloysius, i already thought, that it works, because, Spark 2 is still in ASC...
there is no vst3 version.

have fun, i hope. underrated, me thinks. but as always, does do it for you? it does for me...

I'm happy I got it working. I thought it had been lost to history until I saw this thread again. I really like some of the sounds. I might have to learn how to use it now. Drag and drop audio and midi is great. Changing the preference so the software doesn't keep looking for a hardware controller is great. :) I never used it after getting it but the sounds, like the Linn are exactly what I like.

Aloysius wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:34 am I'm happy I got it working. I thought it had been lost to history until I saw this thread again. I really like some of the sounds. I might have to learn how to use it now. Drag and drop audio and midi is great. Changing the preference so the software doesn't keep looking for a hardware controller is great. :) I never used it after getting it but the sounds, like the Linn are exactly what I like.
the sounds are great, in my opinion. the song mode is indeed terrible, never use it.
drag and drop audio/midi, works great. first make the sequences in Spark 2..

o well, it is not history, for me. and it has a modular, for real emulation, for the 808, for example, and you can control sounds in many ways. nice effects, nice mixer.

making own drumkits is also fun in Spark 2.. i always liked it, even if i have battery 4, MDrummer, Punch 2 (last one quite recently..). and more, maschine on it's own for example.

i still like the Spark 2. the Linn is great. 2 Linn's it has, and by the way, you can download for free, some experimental, and some less experimental, soundpacks for Spark 2..

Spark 2 comes loaded already. i know there is always discussion, especially about the Spark 2, but to my ears, it performs quite, quite well. and automation!! it is easy to use.

(and yes the old CDM controller, makes it a real drumcomputer, the touchpad!, 3 endless encoders, for 8 pads (you must switch banks, 1-8, 9-16), the sequencer, the loop divider. old skool perhaps, but still great, in my honest opinion).

have fun!

EDIT: i have used the Spark 2, in 20 or 30 tracks i believe..

Return to “Instruments”