[force] ... if you have time listen and judge - genre? - i really don't what it is... instrumental?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi all on the magic KVR-site,
back from the basement with another track. i really don't know what genre it is... the musical main theme is inspired by an old formula for improvisation on an organ... not joking :)
tips on technical aspects are always welcome. a lot of effects were put to extremes, was hard to handle (technical). if you like it, let me know - if you hate it, let me ... okay no - just go away. to all: have a nice day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMfXue4B2Uk
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

Unique! I don't know what genre it is either. There are some retro influences there.
Kept me pretty much engaged because of its unusualness. Some good percussion.
The Saw bass drone: I'd have dropped that out for long periods because is a low freq hog, makes things muddy.

I agree with everything Bansaw said except for the genre. It's on the tip of my tongue but old age is my downfall. When it comes to me, I'll post it. It is definitely a genre that I am familiar with. The name just escapes me.

Bansaw wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 am Unique! I don't know what genre it is either. There are some retro influences there.
Kept me pretty much engaged because of its unusualness. Some good percussion.
The Saw bass drone: I'd have dropped that out for long periods because is a low freq hog, makes things muddy.
Hello bansaw, thanks for your reply. The bass consists of 2 basses running through an effect i even don't know what it is doing (it has a washing machine on it... :) ) - but out comes a huge monstrous sound, which i really really like. Problem is: i saw in the frequency spectrum that there is pretty much going on under 60Hz?, but my speakers don't go that deep - so it's just guessing what is happening down there. On every instrument is a highpass-filter at 80hz (manual says it has a slope of -18db per octave) but maybe it is not enough. If someone has an idea how to control the low end better (without hearing it :( ), let me know.
myself in 2022

wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:52 am [...] When it comes to me, I'll post it.
hello wagtunes, oh that would be cool. that would be very interesting to me.
myself in 2022

Serious edges of Industrial Hip Hop in there at times... That's where I'd place it more than anywhere else...

This sort of production started way back in the 80s...New York, quickly followed by artists in London who also developed a more gritty sound.

Good track... Enjoyed it.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

main theme is inspired by an old formula for improvisation on an organ...
Meant to ask about the above....

Are you hinting at the old Improvisation methods of Paumann etc...Going back to the 14th / 15th Centuries when there was a lot of improv expected in keyboard music?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:08 pm

Are you hinting at the old Improvisation methods of Paumann etc...Going back to the 14th / 15th Centuries when there was a lot of improv expected in keyboard music?
hi mark,
no not that old.
(it's a bit complicated for me to write it in english.. so i used parts of google translate... hope it works)
It was customary when a job was started that a ciacona or passacaglia (that's what it's about) was improvised, which was then worked out in the following days. the theme usually consists of long notes over which motivic improvisations were played - in some cases you still have to do that today. Most of the time, however, you play a partita over a well-known church hymn, which people like more than free improvisation. chronologically i would place it more in the time of buxtehude, bach. the motifs are still used today. and it is still a major part during the education. the theme is my own (i hope...), but of course heavy inspired by the classical forms.
myself in 2022

Going back to the 14th / 15th Centuries when there was a lot of improv expected in keyboard music?
oh and today the "historical performance practice" is still relevant. especially with certain instruments. today i played a händel-sonata with a alto recorder player, and then it is common to improvise at least a little bit when repeating parts of the movement. quantz (flute school) is still relevant and used. he has written down: how to "decorate" a second, or third etc... i hope it's understandable... it's really hard not to explain it in the own language.
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:22 pm

hi mark,
no not that old.
(it's a bit complicated for me to write it in english.. so i used parts of google translate... hope it works)
It was customary when a job was started that a ciacona or passacaglia (that's what it's about) was improvised, which was then worked out in the following days. the theme usually consists of long notes over which motivic improvisations were played - in some cases you still have to do that today. Most of the time, however, you play a partita over a well-known church hymn, which people like more than free improvisation. chronologically i would place it more in the time of buxtehude, bach. the motifs are still used today. and it is still a major part during the education. the theme is my own (i hope...), but of course heavy inspired by the classical forms.
Sorry...forgot that English is not your first language...complex question for someone using their 2nd (3rd?) language...I seriously could NOT contribute on here in anything but English! :(

Yeah, I got it all, no worries! In some ways, little bit like the figured bass ( basso continuo) that I had to learn at University....leaves lots of room for improv.

tomtom1 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:29 pm
Going back to the 14th / 15th Centuries when there was a lot of improv expected in keyboard music?
oh and today the "historical performance practice" is still relevant. especially with certain instruments. today i played a händel-sonata with a alto recorder player, and then it is common to improvise at least a little bit when repeating parts of the movement. quantz (flute school) is still relevant and used. he has written down: how to "decorate" a second, or third etc... i hope it's understandable... it's really hard not to explain it in the own language.
It was always my impression when heavily immersed in the classical world (years ago now) that too many performers had forgotten how much room for improv was left by a lot of composers...particularly up to 1800.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:06 pm In some ways, little bit like the figured bass ( basso continuo) that I had to learn at University....leaves lots of room for improv.
not only a litte bit, basso continuo (and its many different rules) that is exactly the fundament on which it is build. you have a bass (but mostly unfigured) and then start to improvise above it. if you have time and you are interested, i would like to recommend to listen to bach passacaglia in c-minor (if you don't know it already) - it is the "gold standard" for passacaglias. every other passacaglia if improvised or composed is compared to this one. but it is a bit long for pop-standards ... 13min... but i would say it is worth it :)
myself in 2022

about: they forgot about the freedom in playing you mentioned

it was simply not teached at the universities... (and sometimes today it is not teached). pianists got told: play exactly like it is written. the movement "historical playing" (i really don't know how it is exactly called in english) brought it back. and then it depends on the instrument. recorder players do some "crazy" stuff (they are really good in it) - but doing the accompangement is (at least for me) sometimes a nightmare - you don't know where in the score they are... oh an extra scale upwards here... some extra stuff over there... :)
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:06 pm In some ways, little bit like the figured bass ( basso continuo) that I had to learn at University....leaves lots of room for improv.
not only a litte bit, basso continuo (and its many different rules) that is exactly the fundament on which it is build. you have a bass (but mostly unfigured) and then start to improvise above it. if you have time and you are interested, i would like to recommend to listen to bach passacaglia in c-minor (if you don't know it already) - it is the "gold standard" for passacaglias. every other passacaglia if improvised or composed is compared to this one. but it is a bit long for pop-standards ... 13min... but i would say it is worth it :)
I'm having a listen right now! :)

13 mins...no worries...listened to the full Vaughan Williams Symphony 9 this morning...God knows what the neighbours thought!

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:06 pm
I'm having a listen right now! :)
someday you have to tell me what you think about it. i know: organ music is the niche within the niche. but for the fact that it's basically a variation over an 8 bar loop, it's pretty impressive. even if you consider the limited harmonic possibilities of the time.
myself in 2022

Return to “Music Cafe”